OctaEdit - Octatrack Software Editor and Librarian [ OSX / Windows ]

Version: OctaEdit v0.9.980
Release Date: 2016 10 18

Whats new?

OctaEdit

• General optimisation and bug fixes throughout OctaEdit.

Known Bugs / Status

• A couple of minor bugs / feature issues kicking around, which may end up getting pushed post v1… as these are (afaik) the only outstanding issues; are diminishing returns, and holding back v1 release…

Umm… did you expect anything new and shiny at this point?

1 Like

…getting closer :relaxed:

Version: OctaEdit v1.0.000
Release Date: 2016 10 19

Eternity has passed.

Whats new? What do you think?

Quick Status update:

Operating Systems:

• Windows: XP to W10
  • OSX: OSX10.5 to OSX10.8 via “Legacy” version (Available on Request)
  • OSX: OSX10.9 to OSX10.12 (Note: 10.12 Not fully tested, but I know at least one user is on Sierra)

Octatrack Operating Systems:

• OSv1.25E
  • OSv1.25H

Videos

Known Bugs / Status

• There are a couple of known bugs / feature issues kicking around, which have ended up getting pushed post v1… as these were I[/I] the only outstanding issues; are diminishing returns, and were holding back a v1 release…
  • Samples : Transient Detection
  • Samples : Bulk Edit Tempo
  • Windows R6025 Error (A ‘C++ R6025 run-time error in Visual C++’ error gets thrown on exiting OctaEdit on Windows platforms in certain scenarios. Appears to be caused by a bug in Microsofts implementation of C++)

Does this mean OctaEdit is 100% bug free?

Well, anyone who tells you that complicated software is 100% bug free is either a) lying; b) full of hubris; c) an idiot; or d) all of the above.

At this point, I need to be more reactive then proactive with bug hunting and polishing off any loose ends.

Now what? Why… back to work of course… :smiley_cat:

8 Likes

Hi,
I bought OctaEdit V1.0.0 today and I use it on OSX 10.11 The Octatrack operates on 1.25H
I encounter a problem when I try to load a project back to the Octatrack, after editing with the software.

Here’s my workflow, I’m not sure it’s correct:
I create a new project on the Octatrack, then I put the Octatrack on USB mode and I open OctaEdit.
I “open a set” and I navigate to the project folder on the Octatrack flash card.

• I’ve made a simple test with just setting a few pickup and flex machines in the “sequencer module”. -

Then I save it back to the Octatrack, disconnect the machine and there’s this “Parse error” message happening:

I have to restart the machine, reload the project saved with OctaEdit on the card, but the changes done with the software are not being applied.

Am I missing something ?

Thank you.

[quote=“Bumathan, post:1052, topic:4742, full:true”]
Here’s my workflow, I’m not sure it’s correct:
I create a new project on the Octatrack, then I put the Octatrack on USB mode and I open OctaEdit.
I “open a set” and I navigate to the project folder on the Octatrack flash card.

I’ve made a simple test with just setting a few pickup and flex machines in the “sequencer module”. -

Then I save it back to the Octatrack, disconnect the machine and there’s this “Parse error” message happening: [/quote]

Your workflow all sounds correct. The “Parse error” would be due to a calc/typo error when saving the project, which obviously that (Parse Error) shouldn’t be happening, which could be any number of different scenarios. I would need to have a closer look to provide a more exact answer I’m afraid. Do you want to flick that Project over to me and I can have a look?

I’ll flick you a pm with my details.

You shouldn’t need to restart the Octatrack, its just not likeing loading the Project.

Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more…

Moving into the beta stage of testing for the new build, so when thats all done, the next release will be out.

If you are an existing OctaEdit customer and fancy like getting your hands on it and playing around / doing some testing, please post in the Beta Testing forum. (OSX only at the moment I’m afraid)

1 Like

Hi Rusty,
maybe you can answer me a question real quick:
I found a recording of an Octatrack pattern from 2014 on my computer yesterday and realised that i always wanted to finish that track but never did and now its overwritten with something else. So, i basically want that pattern back :slight_smile:
On my OTs CF Card i found a Project with the exact same time stamp as the recorded pattern.
Given the fact that i never deleted any samples from the card it should be totally possible to exhume that old pattern via OctaEdit, right?

So what i basically wanna do is somehow load only that old pattern (its Bank 12, Pattern12) and put it into my actual 2016 Project.

Is that a task i would be able to do with OctaEdit?
If yes… you have one more happy customer :slight_smile:

[quote=“snitch, post:1055, topic:4742”]
I found a recording of an Octatrack pattern from 2014 on my computer yesterday and realised that i always wanted to finish that track but never did and now its overwritten with something else. So, i basically want that pattern back :slight_smile:
On my OTs CF Card i found a Project with the exact same time stamp as the recorded pattern.
Given the fact that i never deleted any samples from the card it should be totally possible to exhume that old pattern via OctaEdit, right?[/quote]

Yes. You would use the ‘Manager’ module to copy from the Source Set/Project to the Target Set/Project. Probably use the ‘Pattern and Part’ Element to copy both Pattern L12 and its associated Part from the old project to the new Project. Then map the samples that were used in the old Project, into new/empty slots in the new Project.

If you want, hit me up and we can do a quick Skype call and I’ll walk you through how you would do that process, might be a bit easier then typing it all out as then you can see everything on the screen.

Caveats:

a) Assuming of course you’ve still got all the old samples you’ve used in the old/cool stuff. Obviously if you’ve deleted the physical audio files, they are um… deleted.

b) I assume as you’ve got access to the old set/project; its been saved with a recent Octatrack OS version… like D/E/H; if its older then that, then I can’t guarentee that 100% as I haven’t done testing on old/legacy OS’s for the obvious reason. But easy enough to upgrade the Project to a current OS.

ya, awesome and thanks for your help!
i might get back to you soon but gonna try it on my own first.

2 Likes

I’m here to help, so just give me a yell if you need anything.

1 Like

Just wanted to give a shout out and thanks to @Hades_of_Spades

You’ll all find out soon enough… :smiley_cat: :smiley_cat: :smiley_cat:

2 Likes

worked!

1 Like

First Successful use of the Manager module yesterday.
To merge a standalone song into my live set …and shabam! done!

Songs are no longer marooned in their own lonely projects, yelling ‘wilson!’ at a coconut
effigy of another Song.

Thanks Rusty ! :wink: :wink:

2 Likes

[quote=“Voov_ov, post:1061, topic:4742”]First Successful use of the Manager module yesterday.
To merge a standalone song into my live set …and shabam! done! [/quote]

Happy cats, yay :smiley_cat: :smiley_cat: :smiley_cat:

hahahha

OctaEdit v1.0.010 Released

OctaEdit

• General optimisation and bug fixes throughout OctaEdit.

Whats next? Wait and see… :wink:

3 Likes

OctaEdit LE

Announcing the release of OctaEdit LE. OctaEdit LE is a cut down version of OctaEdit featuring the Manager, Chainer, Analytics, Options and Support Modules.

OctaEdit LE is for Octatrack users who are primarily in the functionality of the Manager module for merging Elements (Banks, Patterns, Tracks, Parts, Scenes and Recorders) and Samples between Octatrack Sets and Projects.

The Chainer module allows the ability to create Sample Chains on the fly from various audio files. Features include slice playback, drag/drop from file browser, randomisation, archiving etc.

Overview and Pricing:

OctaEdit LE US$49 : Features the Manager, Chainer, Analytics, Options and Support Modules.

OctaEdit LE -> OctaEdit upgrade: US$50

OctaEdit US$99 : Features the Project, Samples, Sequencer, Manager, Chainer, Arp Designer, LFO Designer, Library, Analytics, Options and Support Modules.

Note: OctaEdit LE is available on request; and not via the website at present. Therefore please contact me directly.

3 Likes

The main item of interest with the LE version is being able to use the Manager module to copy/merge Elements (Banks, Patterns, Tracks, Parts, Scenes, Recorders) and Samples between Octatrack Sets and Projects.

Take elements from any Set/Project, and copy/merge them into any other Set/Project, including all relevant samples, with the ability to remap the sample slots on the fly.

The Chainer is for creating sample chains for use with the Octatrack, and has a bunch of functionality: add / move / clone / delete / random etc; backup to archive, restore from archive. In the full version you can also import straight to the Project.

The Analytics is a multi purpose reporting module that is used by the other modules.

For example, with the Manager, you can click on a Sample Slot, and it will report where that sample has been used in the entire project, which slots, which sample lock trigs etc.

The Options module is for, um, options obviously and end user customisation and preferences. Relevant functions not applicable to the LE version are disabled.

The Support module is for, well, support and logging information, which can also be accessed and viewed.

Hope that helps? Let me know if you need/want any more info or clarification.

3 Likes

It helps. In french now, for Audiofanzine.fr
:smile:
Willowhisper56

1 Like

Quite new OT user here. This software looks like a dream except for my main need: the Arranger. Is this something you’re planning in future release? Again, awesome work!

An Arranger module is something that you “might” see in a future release…

However, at present, the offical answer is “No”. It’s not in there, and I am not promising that I will add that functionality at a later date.

Stuff and Things get annouced when they get released :wink:

What say you @Hades_of_Spades ? You think thats a good idea?