OctaEdit - Octatrack Software Editor and Librarian [ OSX / Windows ]

I’ll actually have a few moments to play around this weekend, so I can give it a whirl. To get you the most feedback, let me know what areas would be the most problematic/different on the older OSes.

Like most hw/sw I have, I’m typically only using a percentage of their complete capabilities, but for that particular subset, the tools are indispensable.

Based on the places I’ve worked at over the years, there’s some days when I would take the cats instead…

Awesome! I’ll organsie a specific “legacy OSX” build and some quick notes and email that to you directly.

Version: OctaEdit v0.9.901
Release Date: 2016 09 17

Whats new?

OctaEdit

• Added ‘Auto Backup’ logic where when enabled, Projects will be backed up and saved to disk prior to system processes.
  • Fixed bug that could occur with file writing in certain scenarios on Windows environments.

Samples Module

• Report: Added a button to the ‘Edit’ group; that when clicked will generate a report to the Project folder and the Clipboard of Samples used in the current Project.

Options Module

• Backup: Added option to control ‘Auto Backup’; when on, Projects will be backed up and saved to disk prior to system processes.
1 Like

Version: OctaEdit v0.9.950
Release Date: 2016 09 23

Whats new?

OctaEdit

• Added ‘Auto Backup’ logic. When enabled, Projects will be automatically backed up to an ‘OEBackup’ folder in the Project prior to system processes (e.g. save)
  • Lots of code optimisation, specifically around Windows performance.
  • General optimisation and bug fixes.

"Legacy" OSX Version

• There is a separate version of OctaEdit for “Legacy” OSX versions (10.5 to 10.8); which provides backward compatibility at the loss of some minor functionality.
  • Legacy version is available strictly on request.
  • At present the Legacy version is undergoing user testing; so probably best to wait until the dust (if any) settles if you are wanting the legacy version.

Samples Module

• Add Samples: Fixed an issue where sample paths on the Octatrack could sometimes be incorrect after adding Samples in certain scenarios.
  • Collect: Fixed an issue where sample paths on the Octatrack could sometimes be incorrect after collecting Samples in certain scenarios.

Manager Module

• Execute: Fixed an issue where sample paths on the Octatrack could sometimes be incorrect after performing Manager Execution on Windows platforms.

Options Module

• Backup: Added option to control ‘Auto Backup’; when on, Projects will be backed up and saved to disk prior to system processes.
2 Likes

Hi Rusty

Just purchased your software,

Can I have a “legacy” testing copy for my 10.7.5 laptop, in addition to the regular one (I hope it will be OK on my yosemite DIY desktop computer)

Can"t wait to install it, this will be first of all to rearrange my live set which is just 1 project with 8 banks full of 8 to 16 patterns, to have a clean order of banks and easily copy/paste banks+parts, just within the same project so nothing too freaky I guess :stuck_out_tongue:

Regards

[quote=“MonstreJumo, post:973, topic:4742”]
Just purchased your software[/quote]

\o/

You can, but in a few hours… just about to walk out the door, I’ll be in touch shortly.

Done mon ami :wink:

1 Like

Thanks a lot Rusty,

Downloading the pkg’s right now, but I’ve got to take care of my garden this afternoon when there’s still a good weather :confused:

I’ll test octaedit in the night I guess, can’t wait!!!

Thanks for everything, best regards

2 Likes

Been doing some testing yesterday night,

Seems fine on 10.7.5, but I didn’t test many things besides the manager module

Strange that octaedit has to load the whole set for each module (project, each manager side…), but I guess it’s not a big problem…

For the manager module, is there a way or could there be a way to make “batch operations”? I mean, having to " execute" each operation is time consuming, a way to prepare all operations to be done in one unique final “execute all” button press would be awesome!

Anyway, that.s a really useful software!!

1 Like

[quote=“MonstreJumo, post:977, topic:4742, full:true”]
Been doing some testing yesterday night,

Seems fine on 10.7.5, but I didn’t test many things besides the manager module[/quote]

Sweet.

Just the way I designed OctaEdit. We either need to load the whole Set, or each Project at a time. By loading the entire Set, it is just done once, and the pain is at the beginning, rather then on demand and having to load and track all the Projects etc. It also means that some additional functionality can be used that covers the entire Set (e.g. like checking if a sample has been used anywhere in the set)

And there is the ability to actually load three Sets at once in OctaEdit; “Main Set”, “Manager Source Set” and “Manager Target Set”; these can all be the same Set, or three different sets, or any combination.

If you are just wanting to copy Elements within the Main Set, without doing any Sample mapping, check out the Sequencer Actions functionality, [Manual: Section 8.26, pp200]; or use the Copy/Paste functionality within the Sequencer module.

It could be done, but that would require a fairly substantial amount of recoding, testing etc, and I don’t think that it would result in the most elegant UI/UX scenario; and there is already some pretty complex logic going on in there when you start mixing and matching the various Template and Relative modes… using those you can do some pretty nifty things.

Maybe there is a quicker way to do what you are doing, but I would need to understand what you are trying yo achieve first?

\o/

1 Like

Thanks Rusty

Indeed the sequencer module would also be useful,

I managed to do what I needed with the manager module.

I work in only one set, one project (but with several 50+ iterations inside the set, as I save regularly to a new one when doing some deep changes in the project, this is why I find it time consuming to have to load the same set twice in source and target manager windows!).

The project I work on is a live-set of 10 banks, each bank holding 2 “songs” of 8 patterns and 2 parts each. But working on this live set, I erased some banks or merged some others, and I needed to rearrange all songs and banks in clear order, and do some more merging / separating of 8patterns songs between banks, and keeping all parts as they were.

Pretty tedious but all is good, the software rock solid for what I tested. Biggest problem was to have the samples actually copied from source to target project, and with trial/error I found I had to “map” the flex and static slots before copying banks or patterns :slight_smile: I didn’t find this in the pretty big manual BTW… maybe I was too tired?

Thanks a lot for your support and software

Cheers

2 Likes

If you click the ‘Actions’ button in the Sequencer module, there is a kind of “mini-manager”, that allows the ability to copy elements around in the Sequencer (i.e. the current Project) on the fly.

And everything can be copy/pasted, or saved to/loaded from the Library. Just use the menu in each seperate group to do that.

:slight_smile:

Ah… but the Manager is designed to handle both scenarios of having the smae Source/Target Set, or different Source/Target sets…

I’ve been doing a while bunch of work on code optimisation, so I should be able to speed up the load/save even quicker… benchmarking tests are “so far, so good”

[quote=“MonstreJumo, post:979, topic:4742”]The project I work on is a live-set of 10 banks, each bank holding 2 “songs” of 8 patterns and 2 parts each. But working on this live set, I erased some banks or merged some others, and I needed to rearrange all songs and banks in clear order, and do some more merging / separating of 8patterns songs between banks, and keeping all parts as they were.

Pretty tedious but all is good, the software rock solid for what I tested. Biggest problem was to have the samples actually copied from source to target project, and with trial/error I found I had to “map” the flex and static slots before copying banks or patterns :slight_smile: I didn’t find this in the pretty big manual BTW… maybe I was too tired?[/quote]

I do plan on making some videos, but that is/always will be later down the queue.

Sorry, I thought it was fairly clear in the manual, regarding the “relationships”… hmmm, I’ll review it :wink:

My :smile_cat: and :smile_cat: say thank you for getting it.

2 Likes

Hi Rusty,

I get it, you designed the software for the hardcore OT users who need to tweak the hell out of it from multiple sets and projects,

manual is deep, but perhap’s too much deep. you’re right, I read the chapter about relationships, after reading the little warning in the introduction (“why my samples aren’t actually copied?”), but I could’nt make my head aroung the concept of relationships ah ah, maybe I’m a bit autistic ^^ Well, then I could’nt find the way to actally get my sample copied ah ah, then I read elsewhere in the manual that if I didn’t map the samples, then they would not be copied. Then I thought “Yes! This is it!” but then I didn’t find anything, and by tring I tested “map all slots”…

you could just write 'click map all slots" if you want to have slots copied, just IN the warning message, ah ah!

anyway, my live set is now ready for my gig on next saturday, HURRAH!!

I’ll surely use OE much deeper in some times, but now I can focus on live rehersals, that are a pure JOY with this beast of OT+OE

Cheers

1 Like

Modern technology… now got a Twitch channel… https://www.twitch.tv/octaedit

A quite-start guide to a few of OE’s most commonly used features would be really handy.
AKA -backup - marge banks into master set for performance - with samples -
or basically chuck the ‘manager user storys’ at the start of the manual.
Without a table of contents I didn’t even realize it was there.

That is a great idea,or just somehow con Cuckoo into doing it ;). I can’t imagine how long it takes to build a program like this.

2 Likes

[quote=“MonstreJumo, post:981, topic:4742”]I get it, you designed the software for the hardcore OT users who need to tweak the hell out of it from multiple sets and projects,

manual is deep, but perhap’s too much deep. you’re right, I read the chapter about relationships, after reading the little warning in the introduction (“why my samples aren’t actually copied?”), but I could’nt make my head aroung the concept of relationships ah ah, maybe I’m a bit autistic ^^ Well, then I could’nt find the way to actally get my sample copied ah ah, then I read elsewhere in the manual that if I didn’t map the samples, then they would not be copied. Then I thought “Yes! This is it!” but then I didn’t find anything, and by tring I tested “map all slots”…[/quote]

Sorry, my apologies for that, I thought it was fairly clear… obviously not. Feedback taken on board and very much appreciated.

The Manager is a tricky one, and trying to cater for X number of different scenarios at once, well, not the easiest thing…

But then cats wouldn’t read the manual :smiley:

[quote=“MonstreJumo, post:981, topic:4742”]anyway, my live set is now ready for my gig on next saturday, HURRAH!!

I’ll surely use OE much deeper in some times, but now I can focus on live rehersals, that are a pure JOY with this beast of OT+OE[/quote]

\o/

1 Like

[quote=“Voov_ov, post:983, topic:4742”]
A quite-start guide to a few of OE’s most commonly used features would be really handy.
AKA -backup - marge banks into master set for performance - with samples -
or basically chuck the ‘manager user storys’ at the start of the manual.
Without a table of contents I didn’t even realize it was there.[/quote]

The tricky thing is how to decide what is a “most commonly used feature”; and then recycling a whole bunch of stuff into a quick-start guide… it’s still a shedload of doco to write / organise / proof read etc. It’s a tricky balance.

Feedback taken on board though and very much appreciated

[quote=“Voov_ov, post:983, topic:4742”]I do plan on making some videos, but that is/always will be later down the queue.

That is a great idea,or just somehow con Cuckoo into doing it :wink:. I can’t imagine how long it takes to build a program like this.[/quote]

Well, I don’t know Cuckoo… and I’d have to train them (or anyone else) about how to use it.

Better off doing it myself, as I have a vague understanding of OctaEdit works…

1 Like

Big shout out to @oldgearguy for checking out the “Legacy” version for me :heart:

1 Like

About 27 hours all up so far.

Right… might be time to make some videos…

Is there anything anyone specifically wants to see?