OctaEdit - Octatrack Software Editor and Librarian [ OSX / Windows ]

[quote=“invisible_acropolis, post:948, topic:4742”]
as far as who will pay for a new OS… who paid for OctaEdit? [/quote]

So bugger all people? :stuck_out_tongue:

People can pay me up front for coding a new OS for the Octatrack, and Elektron can give me their source code for the existing OS, and a waiver against any legal action, otherwise I’m not releasing it publicly.

You know the JJOS cat(s) were ex Akai employees/contractors working for Akai on the MPC os?

1 Like

hehe - jolly good, Dr. plague doctor

yeh but you seem pretty capable tho… and OctaEdit seems to indicate a reverse engineering of the existing OS to a certain (large) extent, which is a great start

anyways i wont presume to know the best way for you to spend your time

:open_mouth: … would this affect my wage in any way? :grin:

1 Like

i think that only by looking at OctaEdit’s manual one can get an idea of how much work and effort Rusty has put into this project…and that’s without considering what’s in the backstage, that’s where not too many people look at… :neutral_face:
keep up the good work Rusty and let those bunny rabbits run around happily …moonbeams will follow :relaxed:

3 Likes

Well, it won’t go up.

And it’s impossible to go down from zero.

So I’d quite confidently say the answer is “No” :grin:

…pheeew…that’s a relief; icecreeams!! :smile: :scream: :grin:

Version: OctaEdit v0.9.100
Release Date: 2016 09 21

Change Log:

Whats new?

OctaEdit

• Added ‘Recent Sets’ functionality, store up to 25 recent set locations for easy access/reloading.
  • Added Menu option: ‘File -> Release File Locks’ function, for use when in USB mode.

Sequencer Module

• Audio Machines: Added in ‘Default Settings’ (aka reset) functionality.
  • Audio Machine: Added in ‘Default Settings’ (aka reset) functionality.
  • Midi Machines: Added in ‘Default Settings’ (aka reset) functionality.
  • Midi Machine: Added in ‘Default Settings’ (aka reset) functionality.
  • Banks: Added in Copy / Paste / Load from Library / Save to Library / Default (aka Clear Bank) functionality.
  • Patterns: Added in Copy / Paste / Load from Library / Save to Library / Default (aka Clear Pattern) functionality.
  • Parts: Added in ‘Default Settings’ (aka Clear Part) functionality.
  • Scenes: Added in Scene ‘Default Settings’ (aka Clear Scene) functionality.
  • Scenes: Added in ‘Clear Scene Locks off Current Track’ functionality.

Manager Module

• Added ‘Recent Source Sets’ functionality, store up to 25 recent source set locations for easy access/reloading.
  • Added ‘Recent Target Sets’ functionality, store up to 25 recent target set locations for easy access/reloading.

Arp Designer Module

• Move: Fixed bug where Rests get reset when moving left/right.

Options Module

• Manager group: Added parameters to control ‘Recent Source Sets’ functionality, adjust number kept, clear existing.
  • Manager group: Added parameters to control ‘Recent Target Sets’ functionality, adjust number kept, clear existing.

Whats next?

You tell me…

2 Likes

Hi Rusty,

Does Octaedit work on a mac OS X 10.7 ?

Thanks a lot for this piece of artware, OT’S NOT DEAD :smiley:

1 Like

No, I’m afraid not. On Macs, only OSX 10.9 Mavericks, OSX 10.10 Yosemite and OSX 10.11 El Capitan at present.

Versions of OSX prior to and including OSX v10.8 are currently not supported. Backward compatibility is on the “to-do” list, but low priority.

Basically, due to Apple/OSX and certain restrictions/limitations that are in place… I can do it, but requires modifying certain parts of OctaEdit to adhere to previous OSX’s…

1 Like

Ok thanks,

Gotta use it on my desktop os X 10.10 then, but the idea to be able to use my old laptop for programation sessions had grown on me…

cheers

@MonstreJumo Just to manage expectations, backward compatability for OSX versions prior to and including OSX10.8 is a long way down my list of priorities, if ever.

:thup:
http://img03.deviantart.net/eabc/i/2008/092/1/7/the_exploited_by_mcxdrew.jpg

2 Likes

PURCHASED !

Ok . . .

ok

Its time for some serious octatrack spring cleaning…

2 Likes

I’d best get that next build out…

1 Like

OctaEdit and OSX : Waiting on backward compatability? / A show of hands.

If you are interested, but are waiting on compatibility for earlier OSX version, either comment on this, like the post, drop me a message or something, and I’ll see about bumping backward compatibility up the development pipeline.

1 Like

Version: OctaEdit v0.9.900
Release Date: 2016 09 16

Whats new?

OctaEdit

• Improved Loading/Saving of Sets and Projects.
  • Improved handling of illegal characters.
  • Added Help ToolTips for everything.
  • General bug fixes, code optimisation etc.

Samples Module

• Delete Slice: Fixed a bug that could occur in certain scenarios when deleting a Slice.

Sequencer Module

• Audio Machine: Fixed bug when pasting Audio Machine.

Manager Module

• Improved Loading/Saving of Sets and Projects.
  • Improved Manager Execution process.
  • Fixed display issue with Source/Target buttons (Bank/Pattern/Track etc) that could occur with certain UI Zooms.
  • Tweaked display of ‘Manager New Row’ and ‘Manager New Row Text’ colours.
  • Tweaked display of ‘Manager Replace Row’ and ‘Manager Replace Row Text’ colours.

Options Module

• General: Added options to control ‘Disabled’ colour.
  • Manager: Added options to control ‘Manager New Row’ / ‘Manager New Row Text’ colours.
  • Manager: Added options to control ‘Manager Replace Row’ / ‘Manager Replace Row Text’ colours.
  • Manager: Added options to control ‘Recent Manager Source Sets’
  • Manager: Added options to control ‘Recent Manager Target Sets’

Whats next?

• Polish off the Manual.
  • Tie up some loose ends.
  • What more would you expect / want?
1 Like

Ok, did some quick intial testing… and I can do a seperate build for OSX versions prior to OSX10.9; at the expense of losing a small bit of functionality… mainly in the Samples module. Unfortunately, there is nothing I can really do about that, because its a limitation with Apple/OSX; well, I can, but I wouldn’t be able to justify the effort tbh.

2 Likes

I would want you to keep being awesome, pal !!!

:two_hearts:

1 Like

(needed to add a tl;dr) - you have limited resources, spend it on moving forward.

Even though my music Mac is on 10.6.8, I think I’d rather see a one-man shop spend time moving forward and continuing to develop/fix/polish what’s there. Opening up the backwards-compatibility can of worms might be something to do if you had more resources helping you maintain the codebase.

I lug my OTs up to the Windows PC for OctaEdit interaction when needed. Yeah, it’s a slight hassle, but not bad. Even though I deal with computers and programming all day long, I’m very reluctant to upgrade that music machine since it’s got stuff like Tracktion 3.0 and drivers/apps for my Weiss AFI-1 AES->Firewire converter and other crap like that. Researching drivers, pulling down updates, etc is not something I’m comfortable with in the Mac world, so I leave that machine alone.

The real answer is to learn about Time Machine, buy an SSD and copy the drive and swap in the SSD and upgrade and see what happens, but I just don’t have the heart to start that whole thing right now.

2 Likes

[quote=“oldgearguy, post:967, topic:4742”]
Even though my music Mac is on 10.6.8, I think I’d rather see a one-man shop spend time moving forward and continuing to develop/fix/polish what’s there. [/quote]

I think I should be able do do 10.5 and greater, can flick you over a build of that if you want to check it out on OSX?

I have two cats. They can’t code for shit though. So thats three of us, like the three amigos, or is that stooges?

2 Likes