OctaEdit - Octatrack Software Editor and Librarian [ OSX / Windows ]

Well, if you are only using the Manager module and copying Parts, you are only using ~10% of the program… are using the Project module? The Samples module? The Sequencer module? The Chainer module? The Arp Designer module? The LFO Designer module? The module? The Library module?

Play around a bit…

1 Like

Thanks Rusty, I know the modules are there, just wondering what specific tasks are being used by the guys in here.
The thing is that i have 2 Octatracks so I bought Octaedit to copy parts between projects and Octas… Something i can´t do any other way.
And I really prefer to stay away from the computer as much as I can, that´s why i´m using 2 Octas, as a DAW replacement. And that´s why I was asking if there is anyone using Octaedit for something that may help my workflow in such a way that i´d prefer to use the mouse instead of knobs.

I’m trying to use OctaEdit manager module to compile various tracks, banks etc from different projects into a clean streamlined new project. While i can move a bank or a pattern and part I’ve been unable to move the associated samples. Anyone have any luck with this? Using mac version 0.1000

Are you mapping the Samples? If you are not doing any mapping, then no samples will be copied.

1 Like

I’m left clicking on the source sample then left clicking on the target slot then right clicking and selecting paste slots. Is there anything else that I should be doing?

Sounds about right. Say you were mapping Source Flex001 to Target Flex004 After that you should see:

• Action column in the Source table should say either New or Replace

• Target column in the Source table should say the Target Slot, e.g. Flex004

• Action column in the Target table should say either New or Replace

• Source column in the Target table should say the Source Slot, e.g. Flex001

1 Like

so those columns are just staying blank.

that is, blank even after i left click the source, target and then right click paste.

I assume that all your sample paths are valid / legal file names. If thats the case, then it sounds like a miscalculation when assignning the samples… I’ll have to look into that and get back to you asap.

PS: Sent you a pm.

1 Like

i think the sample names are legit. Issue the paths are valid but I’m not sure how to check.

OctaEdit v0.9.000 released.

Cry ‘Havoc!’, and let slip the Sequencer of yore.

Whats new?

OctaEdit

• Shedload of coding/fixes for various GUI elements, resizing, repainting etc. Might have missed one or two, but the vast bulk is sorted.
  • Updated Manual… now 399 pages / 48,083 words / 271,220 characters, and lots of pretty pictures… peeps spend 8 years writing twice that and get a phd for their efforts :confused:
  • New OSX Installer.
  • Updated Installation Guide for Windows/OSX.

Samples Module

• Sample Slots: Added Actions button to invoke context menu as alternative option to right-clicking table.
  • Sample Slices: Added Actions button to invoke context menu as alternative option to right-clicking table.

Sequencer Module

• New ‘Sequencer Actions’: Copy any element of the Project… (Screenshot #01)

• Added ‘Sequencer Detail’ group with a whole bunch of party tricks…

• New Sequencer Detail View: Audio Trigs : Graphically edit Audio Trigs, Slide, Swing and Recorder (AB/CD/IN/OS) Trigs. (Screenshot #02)

• New Sequencer Detail View: Midi Trigs : Graphically edit Midi Trigs and Swing. (Screenshot #03)

• New Sequencer Detail View: MicroTiming : Graphically edit MicroTiming. (Screenshot #04)

• New Sequencer Detail View: Trig Counts : Graphically edit Trig Counts. (Screenshot #05)

• New Sequencer Detail View: Sample Locks : Graphically edit Sample Locks. (Screenshot #06)

• New Sequencer Detail View: Parameter Locks : Graphically edit all Parameter Locks on both Audo and Midi tracks. (Screenshot #07)

• All Sequencer Detail Views additionally feature Copy / Paste / Load from Library / Save to Library / Default / Randomisation options.

• New ‘Sequencer Steps Actions’: (Screenshot #08)

• Copy any Element of a trig to any other trig or trigs.

• Clear any Element of any trig or trigs.

• Randomise any Element of any trig or trigs.

Manager Module

• Redesigned the entire UI / UX / Logic around the Manager module for copying data… best review that manual. (Screenshot #09)
  • Added new Source contex option: ‘Map Slots’
  • Added new Source contex option: ‘Map Flex Slots’
  • Added new Source contex option: ‘Map Static Slots’
  • Added new Source contex option: ‘Map All Slots’
  • Manager Source Samples: Added Actions button to invoke context menu as alternative option to right-clicking table.
  • Manager Target Samples: Added Actions button to invoke context menu as alternative option to right-clicking table.
  • Fixed a bug that could limit the mapping to Static samples under certain scenarios.

Chainer Module.

• Sample Chains can now be saved to an OctaEdit Chainer Archive.
  • OctaEdit Chainer Archives can be restored as Sample Chains.
  • Chainer Files: Added Actions button to invoke context menu as alternative option to right-clicking table.

Options Module

• Added options to change ‘Table Row’, ‘Table Row Alternative’ and ‘Table Selected’ colours.

• Option to change ‘Table Row Text’ and ‘Table Row Alternative Text’ and ‘Table Selected Text’ colours.

• Whats next?

• Well, you know… (Screenshot #10)

sigh… back to the grindstone…

6 Likes

Chainer Backup and Restore is available in v0.9.000 :wink:

Refer to the Manual Section 10.3.5 Backup (pp291) and Section 10.3.6 Restore (pp292) for more information.

3 Likes

Check the new build I just released (v0.9.000) and see if that resolves your issues?

Note that I’ve completely redone the UI/UX, so best to check the manual (Section 9, pp231) for all the changes, and Section 24 (pp382) for some user stories.

1 Like

With the release of v0.9.000, the main focus now is on bug fixing, code optimisation, and shiny stuff as I work towards the v1.0.000 release.

If you have any feature requests, nows a good time to ask… :cloud:

2 Likes

v0.1 to v0.9 in just a month. Impressive progress! :cheeky:

2 Likes

Well, considering how much functionality was in v0.1… I figured it was about time to stop pretending it was an early version… cats were spoilt. :stuck_out_tongue:

Now just concentrating on ironing out any bugs, sorting out doco etc as we aim for that oh so perfect bug free v1.0.000 release :smiley:

3 Likes

v1.0.000 Release - Thoughts? Comments?

Hi All,

With the release of v0.9.000, my focus now is being concentrated on bug hunting, and polishing everything up for a v1.0.000 release.

If you feel that there is anything missing, or stuff that you would really like, do let me know, and I’ll see where that fits into everything, if its already on its way, and/or if it will be in before v1.0.000

I think at some point I need to draw a line in the sand, as there is already a ridiculous amount of functionality in OctaEdit, concentrate on ensuring there are no bugs kicking around, and get OctaEdit out to the masses.

Thanks,
Rusty

2 Likes

why not live editing on computer with round-trip updates to and from the OT thru MIDI sysex? or maybe you could hack something together in assembly to make the OT function like a USB plugin?

heh

but seriously - great job

What SysEx?

The Octatrack doesn’t even have a full Midi specification, lacking a few critical items, but I digress.

[quote=“invisible_acropolis, post:946, topic:4742”]
or maybe you could hack something together in assembly to make the OT function like a USB plugin? [/quote]

Because even if you hacked together something like that, to make the USB function as being addressable, so you could use it as a plugin, you’re still not going to be able to access the CF card, as you can only have one master for it, computer or the Octatrack…

And who’s going to pay me for coding a new OS for the Octatrack?

Thanks, but not finished yet :expressionless:

i was just joking around but your reply seems to indicate you have already looked into these kinds of ideas, and thats interesting

as far as who will pay for a new OS… who paid for OctaEdit? same deal I would guess… I didnt think such a thing as a new OS was even possible - but I guarantee you would have a lot of interested people just built-in from that, not to mention all the other OT owners with questions and complaints about “Why not this” and “Why not that” and so on… so I would suspect all of them are probably willing to pay a reasonable amount for a properly hot-rodded OS for the OT … kinda like how the MPC runs 100x better with JJOS