OctaEdit - Octatrack Software Editor and Librarian [ OSX / Windows ]

Quote of the year right there - :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
You can trust Rusty, or not (maybe youā€™re the last $90 he needs to escape to the Caribbean, to sip pina coladas!)

Just getting this going, now that OSX is live. Thanks so much and keep up the good work. Looking forward to the other modules coming online! :imp:

@ Rusty, what do you think - would it be possible to create a midi file import, into Octatracks sequencer data ? I dont know if its stored in OTĀ“s file system, but if it would, a tool to convert midi files into OT patterns would be very neat.

You can trust Rusty, or not (maybe youā€™re the last $90 he needs to escape to the Caribbean, to sip pina coladas!)[/quote]
:smiley: :smiley: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: ā€¦sell kitchin? (or chikinā€¦ :smiley: )

Thanks Rusty, your answers were very helpful, and I will most likely come on board at some point soon.

Have you already made up your mind about the update pricing? I mean, will v1 be free for beta users? And will you up the price once v1 in out?

Yes, it would be possibleā€¦ but complicated.

Read this thread: http://octaedit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=69

You can trust Rusty, or not (maybe youā€™re the last $90 he needs to escape to the Caribbean, to sip pina coladas!)[/quote]
:smiley: :smiley: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: ā€¦sell kitchin? (or chikinā€¦ :smiley: )[/quote]
Jamaican jerk chicken and pina coladas, and herb :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I can almost taste the piƱa coladas now :stuck_out_tongue:

What update pricing? All updates since day one have been free. :slight_smile:

Yes

At present, there is no plans to.

:smiley: :smiley: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: ā€¦sell kitchin? (or chikinā€¦ :smiley: )[/quote]
Jamaican jerk chicken and pina coladas, and herb :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:[/quote]
i get the joke but thereā€™s other ways of cheating then escaping to the caribbean with a bag of money. for example software developers that remove licenses as they wish or that start to charge for updates and remove the statement from their webpage where they clearly stated future updates would be free. people who donā€™t take their responsibility any serious when they are being payed for a service. and some of those people made some very elaborate software as well.

i guess itā€™s all real funny until it happens to you.

Jamaican jerk chicken and pina coladas, and herb :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:[/quote]
i get the joke but thereā€™s other ways of cheating then escaping to the caribbean with a bag of money. for example software developers that remove licenses as they wish or that start to charge for updates and remove the statement from their webpage where they clearly stated future updates would be free. people who donā€™t take their responsibility any serious when they are being payed for a service. and some of those people made some very elaborate software as well.

i guess itā€™s all real funny until it happens to you. [/quote]
Clearly youā€™re venting about some other software developer than Rusty. Iā€™m too lazy to re-quote so I will just refer you 2 posts up from here.

i guess itā€™s all real funny until it happens to you. [/quote]
Clearly youā€™re venting about some other software developer than Rusty. Iā€™m too lazy to re-quote so I will just refer you 2 posts up from here.[/quote]
dude, I am not venting, just asking simple questions. like the Octaedit page clearly states ā€œask before you buyā€. Rusty, if you had the feeling i was venting any anger at you I am sorry, it is not my intention.
mr poonti, i wonā€™t bother looking up the post you are refering to since you added nothing but troll comments.

No. But I reserve the right to do so for extreme scenarios / breach of EULA (i.e Piracy etc)

Maybe in the future I will charge for updates, maybe I wonā€™t.

If I build a module that makes you cookiesā€¦ so free cookies for life! Maybe I think that should be a paid updateā€¦ god knows Iā€™d pay for that :slight_smile:

This is why I dont say that all updates will be free. Because who knows what else is to come?

I also donā€™t say that they will be charged either.

So evaluate based on what is there.

Iā€™m not selling a service. Iā€™m selling software.

If I was selling a service, trust me, your money wouldnā€™t go very farā€¦ you really donā€™t want to see my CV, skillsets and companies Iā€™ve consulted for.

The software is presented ā€œas-isā€, itā€™s up to you as a potential purchaser to do your due diligence and evaluate if it is suitable for your needs.

Iā€™m good. :+1:

For now :stuck_out_tongue:

i am aware itā€™s a license, not exactly a service. a EULA i havenā€™t found anywhere just a legal disclaimer. piracy not being legal is kinda obvious. and i was just mentioning an example of shady business ethics which some on here are unaware of obviously since taking money from people is all fun and games for some on here it seems.

i am holding on for now. i donā€™t feel quite comfortable about such a big deal and so much fun being made out of such simple questions. in the end this is a business not a charity so obviously people want to know what they are paying for. and where exactly was i ever demanding free updates? well thanks for answering anyway.

ā€œno soup for youā€

:joy:

sorry for the fanboys who got butt hurt. you can have my soup instead.

I think maybe that there has been some, shall we say, ā€œmisinterpretationā€ where mentioning an example has been construed as making an accusation.

And shady business ethics?

Iā€™ve had years worth of source code stolen, and been tied up for years with lawyers dealing with that. My partner has had years worth of wages stolen from her, and tied up with lawyers / immigration / tax because of thatā€¦

Trust meā€¦ Iā€™ve got a lot more miles, and a lot more scars then you can ever dream ofā€¦

Yes, I think maybe the best for now. For my part, I believe I have attempted to answer your questions, and not to make fun out of them.

But maybe it is a question of tact, if you come in swinging, throwing examples of other unrelated scenarios around, maybe the instinctual reaction is to be defensive?

As I said beforeā€¦ you sound quite risk adverse / once bitten, twice shy, and that is perfectly understandable.

I suggest if you are interested in OctaEdit, and you have your doubts, and that is perfectly okā€¦

Wait for the v1 release, then see what OctaEdit offers, see what other people say, have full documentation et al, and then make a decision based on all the evidence presented to you.

We can call that ā€œlost in translationā€ā€¦?

I never accused you of demanding free updates, I was specifically referring to your previous comment where you said:

ā€œor that start to charge for updates and remove the statement from their webpage where they clearly stated future updates would be free.ā€

And I was merely pointing out that I donā€™t specifically say that all updates will be free, so that I am not tied into that scenario.

If I misinterpreted that, or I presented that in the wrong way, my apologies for that.

many people have closely followed rustys OE efforts and heā€™s been around elektron forums since for ever, so we ā€œfanboysā€ are well familiar with
him and his style and trust what he says.

soups gone cold

What does this mean?