OctaEdit - Octatrack Software Editor and Librarian [ OSX / Windows ]

OSv1.25E Supported.

OSv1.25F Is not, and will not be supported by OctaEdit for the obvious reasons.

OSv1.25G

Not currently supported by OctaEdit.

Everything should be fine, given what was changed in the update.

I simply haven’t upgraded my Octatracks or performed any testing as of yet, so don’t want to say yes until I am comfortable that all is ok.

Rest assured that it is in the list of things to do.

I think people can answer that question themselves weighing up the benefits of going to OSv1.25G versus the risk of issues with OctaEdit, no?

Obviously I will support anyone who makes that decision as best I can regardless, and whilst I don’t anticipate any issues, I don’t want anyone to yell at me either :slight_smile:

Thank you :smiley:

Sorry for maybe a dumb question but WHERE and for HOW MUCH one can purchase OctaEdit? OK, I’ve seen the price mentioned by some random user on FB but that’s non-official info source for me.
I didn’t find the info neither on OctaEdit web nor on Facebook spending like 10 minutes searching it and I don’t have time to read through whole thread here.
Of course I could PM Rusty directly but I thought this could be marketed in more direct way, no offense.
Please, enlighten me. (it can be that I’m just getting older and dumber)
Thanks!

Hey… I’ve done my side of things and given you OctaEdit.

It’s up to you to go get yourself an Octatrack :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: [/quote]
:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :joy: :sob: :sob: :sob: :slight_smile:

Purchasing has been temporarily disabled for a couple of days as is best practice following a major release; just to ensure no typos or anything slipped through the net… I’ll reenable it in the next few days.

When purchasing is disabled, it removes the purchase link, and what I didn’t do is add in a message to that affect on the site. (Have no)
My apologies for any confusion and lack of clarity.

Thanks for the clarification Rusty! I’ll wait patiently.

See, that wasn’t so bad was it? :slight_smile:

Aka I have renabled purchasing…

Hi!

Are there any plans for arrangement module? :slight_smile:
Most importantly, it would be lovely to be able to select some bulk of rows, and move (or duplicate) them together.

Short version: Yes.

Long version:

I try not to announce things until I’ve already delivered them, as I don’t want anyone getting the wrong idea, or making assumptions about what may or may not be in OctaEdit, so…

Offically: No, there is no Arranger module.

Unoffically: I’ve already done a whole bunch of work around the Arranger module, which is currently in an Alpha state, and I need to do a lot of testing first before I can make it available publicly. However it already does everything I can imagine you would probably want/expect… multi-select, copy, move, clone etc.

If it does happens, the Arranger module is flagged for a v1.1 release.

At the moment I need to concentrate on polishing up the last bits and bobs of what is currently there, to finalise the v1 release before adding new modules.

Based on the response (i.e sales) to v1, I can then look at finishing the Arranger if I can justify the time/expense to do so, else, well, I’ve got bills to pay and mouths to feed, so I can’t guarentee it will ever see the light of day. But you are not alone in wanting it.

Long version:

I try not to announce things until I’ve already delivered them, as I don’t want anyone getting the wrong idea, or making assumptions about what may or may not be in OctaEdit, so…

Offically: No, there is no Arranger module.

Unoffically: I’ve already done a whole bunch of work around the Arranger module, which is currently in an Alpha state, and I need to do a lot of testing first before I can make it available publicly. However it already does everything I can imagine you would probably want/expect… multi-select, copy, move, clone etc.

If it does happens, the Arranger module is flagged for a v1.1 release.

At the moment I need to concentrate on polishing up the last bits and bobs of what is currently there, to finalise the v1 release before adding new modules.

Based on the response (i.e sales) to v1, I can then look at finishing the Arranger if I can justify the time/expense to do so, else, well, I’ve got bills to pay and mouths to feed, so I can’t guarentee it will ever see the light of day. But you are not alone in wanting it.[/quote]
+1 on the arranger, I didn’t realise it wasn’t a thing until i tried to organise a project my set list from a bunch of other projects.

Luckily even though the arranger is all hex codes, the row data is pretty obvious and easy to manipulate in a hex editor.

Also, am I the only person that gets a huge amount of errors trying to merge the slots in the manager (in bank copy mode)? Every time i select anything it falls over. Won’t let me save it as a support log either. If I persist through the errors, I can still get it to copy samples over, though it won’t do any analysis (though maybe that’s not implemented yet)

Oh, and Rusty, can you please disable that thing where the mouseover makes the windows active. It’s super annoying. Or make it optional if you really like it.

Duly noted.

Yes that I’m aware of? Can you create a support post on the forum, or send me an email, or ping me on Facebook or something, and I can have a look,or we can do a Skype (OctaEdit) session or something?

Analytics is implemented, and has been for a while, so that should trigger automatically.

Yes. Will do.

PS: Did you get that email I sent out a couple of weeks ago?

Bear with me for another week or two and check out what the next update will bring…

If this arrangement module means that i can sit on a couch with my laptop and built a whole track with just this app only and then transfer it on the OT i’m buying yesterday!Also another question about the samples module…
Is it possible to edit warping like on Ableton Live?

I’ll create a support post when i’m next at home and thinking about octaedit. Or maybe just wait and see if it magically resolves after the next version.

Sorry, didn’t mean to sound impatient. It’s good to know those things are supposed to work though, it gives me a reason to attempt to get it working on my pc.

[/quote]
Great! :slight_smile:
While we are at arrangements, It would be also great to be able to reorder/replace patterns with each other (I don’t know if this is possible already?), and at the same time automagically rewrite arrangements so that they use the new pattern layout.

When I try to go to the website to purchase, says I’m missing some kind of extension required for Wordpress. Any idea how I can remedy this?

Hmmm… just checked, its not you, its not me, seems like an issue at the hosts end. I can’t access my forums at all.

I’ll chase it up with them, they might be doing maintenance or something. :neutral_face:

[/quote]
Great! :slight_smile:
While we are at arrangements, It would be also great to be able to reorder/replace patterns with each other (I don’t know if this is possible already?), and at the same time automagically rewrite arrangements so that they use the new pattern layout.[/quote]
I’m pretty confident that the existing/proposed feature set / functionality will cater for > 90% of anyones requirements.

I’ve had a good couple of chats/consultations with an existing OctaEdit user (who knows who they are) who is a very heavy arranger user, and I think the approach makes a lot of sense both from a development and user point of view.

Cool!

I am slowly, step by step, getting closer to buying it.

One more question for now: Is it possible to ‘merge’ two tracks in a given pattern together? What I mean is that e.g. I have two drum tracks, one for snare, one for tom, and I want to make them one to free up a track. This is definitely doable in theory, would save me time (obviously, if the effects do not match, one track will ‘win’, but that can be handled with a popup dialog asking which one, the other track’s effect(s) will be turned down then)

Something tells me you’re really going to dig the next update… fuck, everyone should considering how much work its been and all the cool stuff I’ve put in it :stuck_out_tongue:

At present, no.

But it is something I’ve played around with, as there is a number of tricks and processes that I’m thinking about integrating into the Sequencer, one of those is a track merge function like you are talking about.

Its definitely doable, I’ve already done an internal proof of concept of exactly that.

The tricky part is then taking a step back, considering all the potential options, use cases, business rules, UI, UX etc and wrapping that all up in a function and format that makes it accessible and easy to use… theres a lot of things to consider.

Do you want to do that on only one track? Or was that multiple tracks? For just that pattern? Or the entire bank? Or the Project? Should it be a merge (retain source), or a merge (empty source)? Should that be selectable? What if you are trying to merge Flex and Static? What to do when there is trig conflicts? Target takes precendence? Or source? Or selectable? But what is there is multiple tracks? What about microTiming? What about parameter locks? Scenes? Illegal data? I could go on and on…

These are all the things that I have to consider and am kicking around ideas with… so lets just say its in the developemnt pipeline, but am concentraing on some other stuff first. If I can come up with the answers for all the above and more, sure, why not, good chance that I may do something like that.

The usual caveat: As always, doesn’t actually exist till I say it exists…

Thanks for the quick answer as always, sounds promising!
HNY!

Any time / thats what I’m here for.

Somethng tells me I have a busy week ahead…

HNY as well :wink: