OctaEdit - Octatrack Software Editor and Librarian [ OSX / Windows ]

Very :smiley:

I purchased and tried it on a new macbook pro together with Wine, but I have to say there was nearly nothing working. A lot of graphical issues, long loading times or program crashes. I installed it several times. Not sure if I did something wrong. I also tried tried it on windows 7, no graphical issues, but also some loading issues. Iā€™m patient and I hope future updates will fix the problems.
Indeed a great idea for a software.

I am sorry to hear that you are having issues, and I am very concerned about the issues you are experiencing.

I have not had a single report of a program crash, never mind multiple crashes, so this is obviously very disconcerting.

Set/Project loading times are ridiculously quick, so quick as to be irrelavant. Iā€™ve actually had to retard the process on OSX because my code was running too quick. So if this is taking an inordinate amount of time for you, this is an issue.

Youā€™re on the forums, can you please create a support topic letting me know some more details about what you are experiencing and then I can fix any issues you have.

Maybe we can do a Skype call and identify exactly what is happening? And how to resolve it, as the behaviour you are reporting is quite extreme.

1 Like

I am sorry to hear that you are having issues, and I am very concerned about the issues you are experiencing.

I have not had a single report of a program crash, never mind multiple crashes, so this is obviously very disconcerting.

Set/Project loading times are ridiculously quick, so quick as to be irrelavant. Iā€™ve actually had to retard the process on OSX because my code was running too quick. So if this is taking an inordinate amount of time for you, this is an issue.

Youā€™re on the forums, can you please create a support topic letting me know some more details about what you are experiencing and then I can fix any issues you have.

Maybe we can do a Skype call and identify exactly what is happening? And how to resolve it, as the behaviour you are reporting is quite extreme.[/quote]
Hi Rusty,
sorry for answering so late. As I said, Iā€™m not sure, if I did everything correctly with the installing process.
I try to find some time this week to try OctaEdit again and explore the problems I have, so I can describe it to you in detail.
Iā€™m sure weā€™ll find a solution!

Waiting for this new version to drop.

Then look outā€¦fooking 35 years of sampler experience and with this s/w Iā€™m gonna bust out something nobody has ever done or even thought aboutā€¦hahahaaaa, :imp: :rage:

The new build is quite cool (I think)ā€¦ just running through all the testing processes, which takes time as I need to make sure everything is right. Shouldnā€™t be too far away now.

As you may or may not be aware, OS 1.25F for the Octatrack has just been released.

At this point in time, it is not supported by OctaEdit.

Iā€™ll have to have a look at it first before commenting further.

Maybe we can do a Skype call and identify exactly what is happening? And how to resolve it, as the behaviour you are reporting is quite extreme.[/quote]
Hi Rusty,

I repeated the install process several times following your instructions. Although, the new wine bottler version looks slightly different than that you pictured in your instructions.
I can create the app and the installation finishes successful as far as I can judge. When I first open OctaEdit I get an error message, which you can see on this pictureā€¦

I also recorded a little video to show you the graphical issues, the loading behaviour and some further error messages when clicking on samples in the sample slots. In the Audio pool there is an error meesage, everytime a sample shows up, so you have to repeated clicking on every message till all samples are listed. Very strange. And another thing is, when I click on a sample with just one left click it often marks a whole group of samples.
Quite strange, I have no idea what went wrong. My macbook pro is brand-new running yosemite.

sorry, the video seems to have bad quality when uploaded

Ok, sorry for the delayed reply.

The first issue has been caused by changes to WineBottler. It relates to the .Net Framework.

OctaEditā€™s installation package I have not changed, but Wine has changed their bottler. And this (Wine) change has caused that error to manifest.

Apart from that inital error message, which can just be clicked ok, and only shows the first time, it does not appear to cause any other issues.

I have updated the OSX installation documentation to reflect this for the next build.

Ok, soā€¦ I divide to 3 scenarios:

1) Graphical Issues

OSX/Wine has some issues with some drawing, displaying fonts and transparency. Which is not nice.

More info at this link: OSX / Wine : Graphical Anomalies

For this, I have implemented some changes to work around the limitations of OSX/Wine.

But I am afraid you are going to have to wait for the next build, which is a major update and is currently in Alpha testing.

2) Samples

The errors you are seeing are caused by incorrect data in the wav file. Wav files store information in the header of the file. And depending on the source of the file generation, these may be different or cause issues. I have already made some changes around that logic since the build you have, to handle those scenarios.

3) Audio Pool

I have not seen or been told about this one before. It is ocurring because it is attempting to analyse the audio file, and provide back the information (Bit rate, sample rate, stereo/mono)

However the files that are causing the errors are not actually audio files, they are extended information files that OSX creates in certain scenarios (Depending on OSX version, file structures, drive format etc.)

These all start with the prefix of ._ (Period Underscore)

I have just put in a fix to ignore these files, and this will be in the next release.

Selecting a single sample, or selecting multiple samples with the Ctrl and Shift keys is intended. However selecting multiple samples with just one left click is notā€¦

I think what you are seeing here is an artifact caused by the previous error (#2 Samples), so it is not releasing the mouse cursor. And when you select the next sample, it is selecting the range/group. I presume you only see this behaviour after the error message? (From #2 Samples)

I will see if I can replicate this behaviour and confirm. But I am not going to spend much time looking at this anomaly as I believe is already resolved as per above.

No, not at all, video is excellent :slight_smile:

As you may or may not be aware, OS 1.25G for the Octatrack has just been released.

At this point in time, it is not supported by OctaEdit.

Iā€™ll have to have a look at it first before commenting further.

Stuff

Things

Moonbeams

This one goes out to the cats who knowā€¦

W O W Z ! :joy: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
the OctaEdit gets better and better every time i look at itā€¦ and iā€™m not even using it :slight_smile: :sob:

+1 for the GUI updates Rusty, working nicely on OSX 10.8.5 :slight_smile:

And to think ONE guy and a few beta bozos (jk) put this together.

WITHOUT a scrap of help from Elektron.

And yet, more so, Elektron have done NOTHING much for the OT in 2 years.

Iā€™m not sure why Rustys still doing this, labor of LOVE? spite? to put on a CV?

Dunno, but Iā€™m ALL for it.

:+1:

Heyā€¦ Iā€™ve done my side of things and given you OctaEdit.

Itā€™s up to you to go get yourself an Octatrack :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Excellent. Glad to hear it. Itā€™s been a lot of, um, ā€œfunā€ doing all that, but if you are happy it has all been worth it :slight_smile:

Is the new OT OS supported by the 0.5 release, or should people hold off? thanks

update looks great.