Octa sending program change to multiple devices?

1.25H thanks for taking the time man, my inspiration is totally drained by this roadblock :slight_smile:

ooh thats weirdā€¦ started to get set up for it - this time it works fine WITHOUT setting the bank parameterā€¦ but I had started from an empty bank, empty patternā€¦ last time I was starting from a pattern that already had audio tracks and other stuff going on.

have you already tried to make it work just starting from an empty bank, empty pattern?

here is a video i made - demonstrating that it is working fine here

now - i had the same issue as you at first - where it would only send a PC message on MIDI channel 2ā€¦ when I set the BANK parameter, it started working ok againā€¦ but then when i tried to replicate the original issue i could not do itā€¦ so that is almost assuredly a bug of some sort, kinda sucks because Id like to know what causes that

sorry for the crap quality, but i dont have any nice cameras handy

Very strange, i guess next step is to get a computer with a midi interface here and double check that prgch isnt sent on my unit. Thanks for your help!

1 Like

No problem - and if you figure out what causes the issue somehow - please post that info here. It would be very useful to debug that

1 Like

Hi guys,
Iā€™ve stumbeled upon a little problem with program changes on my octatrack in our new live rig. I use the OCT as my main sequencer and clock, and it sends direct pgm change to the A4 and AR (no problem there), it also sends program change via the midi sequencer to the Aira MX-1, TB-3, JX-03 and JU-06. This all works fine when sending out change to one of the units, but if I try to send to for instance the MX-1 and the JX-3 at the same time, it only changes program on one of them (the MX-1)

The midi routing is pretty straigth forward, I use a midi splitter so I get the signal to all units, and some thru stuff. On the OCT I set up one midi track for every unit, and it sends note data no problem. Every unit has itā€™s own midi channel, so it should work, shouldnā€™t it? I have to make a new part on the OCT for every synth I want to change program on now. But then why can I set ā€œChannelā€ ā€œBankā€ and ā€œProgramā€ on every midi track of the Octa?

I kind of make it work in my live set with assigning 1 part to every synth that needs a pgm-change, but itā€™s quite limiting (since some times I might want to change both the prgrams on the JX and JU at the same timeā€¦)

Any tips? Am I doing something wrong?

Cheers!

Does your OT successfully send the Program Change messages from the MIDI sequencer tracks to all four of your Roland instruments when you move to a pattern that is linked to a different Part? If so, that is the expected behaviour according to page 114 of the manual.

I would not expect the OT to send PC messages from its MIDI sequencer when it changes to a pattern that is linked to the same Part as the current pattern.

1 Like

No, thatā€™s the problem, it only manages to send 1 PC per part (from 1 midi sequencer track) - so if I am going to change 4 synthesizers I have to use 4 partsā€¦ I thinkā€¦ I might have set it up wrong (I am updating an older live set, with hundreds of patterns and scenes and parts using the arranger modeā€¦ so itā€™s a bit confusingā€¦) will check when I am home. It might simply be user error (it often is!) :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks for reply though, youā€™re always on the ball! Kudos!

1 Like

Thanks for confirming. The problem you are facing was recently highlighted by another forum member.

[I will shortly join the two topics together because they provide more evidence of a likely bug.]

I recommend that you create a support ticket via Elektronā€™s website. We donā€™t know what priority they might give to fixing this if it is a bug, but that is the best way for this issue to come to the attention of their developers.

1 Like

@Lazt

Did you get a response to the support ticket that you raised?

Ah thanks. Sorry for spamming up the board. Well, I have to use the 1 part per pgm change trick as of yet, since we have a gig in Gothenburg and Nurnberg next weekend :slight_smile:

No response yet:)

1 Like

Thatā€™s a bug that seems kind of important to me. I hope it doesnā€™t take to long to get addressed. I hadnā€™t actually run into it yet, but I would in the workflow Iā€™m working towards.

1 Like

Not such a big deal when composing, for me, but major problems when playing live. Glad I found the bug now and not closer to gigsā€¦ If anyone has any progression please post :slight_smile:

BTW, I happened to take a few minutes last night and I was able to change program on 3 external synths at once (2 waldorfs and a kawai). A01 tied to Part 1 with one set of Bank/Prog settings for the 3 synths A05 tied to Part 2 with a different set of Bank/Prog settings.

@PeterHanes thanks for merging the two threads, I just saw the posts in the other thread

When I tried it, I did set the Bank. I didnā€™t have a whole lot happening in that project.

1 Like

Might be a clash between roland and elektron :slight_smile:

1 Like

Do you think it could be a Roland / Elektron problem? Iā€™ve not managed to get it working with multiple Rolandsā€¦

1 Like

Not sure if it is the OT or the Rolands or some strange combination between them. I donā€™t own anything made by Roland. I was able to test with the synths I have, but thatā€™s about as close as I can test it out.

1 Like

Might be the Rolands, since you had success with your other gearā€¦ We have found a rather cumbersome workaround (1 per part), as of yet :slight_smile: Thanks anyhow!

1 Like

My issue is now fixed, roland patched their boutiques so now they make the prgch correct. :slight_smile: yay!

3 Likes