Octa mkII tear down?

Curious about this too. The specs on the input side seem to show about 7-8 more db dynamic range and more gain although I’m not sure it’s 100% apples to apples. Also, USB mounting works much better for me on the MK2 than it did on MK1 on my Macbook so maybe there’s something new there as well?

Who wants to void their warranty for science? :loopy:

1 Like

And those that dare to open it…the OT will disentigrate in front of their eyes…just like what you see on the startup screen

4 Likes

I took the mkI apart and it was utterly gorgeous, a thing of beauty. Would not recommend it though as regards warranty and so forth. Only reason i did, was to try and get the Lipton’s Iced Tea out of the Trigs. Moderately successful. Anyway for those who are wondering, it was a thing of beauty, the workmanship, the design, totally wondrously put together.

3 Likes

total class

I wish Markus Fuller would do some in-depth teardowns of Elektron mystery boxes.

I’ve only cracked open my Rytm to adjust the screen brightness which is on the underside of the board. I didn’t have the guts/ expertise to venture further.

I wish Elektron would show the insides of the machines TBH, although I can easily see why they would not want to do that, but here’s why I think it would be cool.

1. The internals are great looking, just as the exteriors are.

2. It is kind of geeky, which is what most Elektron users are. I bet 90% of us took our toys apart as kids, to see how they worked!

3. Competitors, not that they really have any, would not be able to glean any real secrets from it.

4. It would be good for the pride of the designers, and would set Elektron apart from other manufacturers, the only other similar example I can think of is Korg publicly releasing schematics of mono series.

5. It would save curious users from voiding the warranty.

I never expect it to happen, but it would be cool.

3 Likes

Alright, I managed to get my buddy Darrel to take his apart. Pretty amazing what they have packed in there. And as shown in blue, LOTS of space for extra RAM!

:space_invader:

3 Likes

That’s an arp2600 surely :rofl:

1 Like

Opened mine up.

Was full of avocado.
Closed it immediately.
CF booted fine. Project loaded.

Phew!

4 Likes

I opened my out-of-warranty mkI to desolder, clean, and resolder a problematic button. Probably the bravest thing I’ve ever done. :sweat:

4 Likes

Omg, I took everything apart! I had an entire toy box that was filled with parts and wires. I’d take the motors and lights out of things and reconnect them differently and build other stuff with them…
When my parents left I’d take apart the TV and VCR and stuff… :joy::joy:

Haha, anyway here’s some mk1 insides:

8 Likes

that OT sugery vid is mine. I took apart that machine more than once and just for fun will probably take apart the MKii for fun. If I do I’ll snap some pics or video.

10 Likes

Ot modded with spdif output !
More than 1000$ mod.

4 Likes

I wonder if it makes an audible difference

Clearly if you listen spdif out in a analog way ! :smile:
I prefer a 2nd OT for the cost of it !

1 Like

Has anybody done any mods to the mk2?

Someday there will be a switchable axoloti or organelle/pd heart inside my OT.
There’s enough space, there’s enough power, it’s only a matter of time and patience to do a really nice job doing it!

1 Like

Will it blend? Who’s checking?

Make Sticky

Please do, I was thinking about doing this into my case but inside the OT would be another level