Obscure Semi Modulars

These knobs look ugly as f…

2 Likes

The Synton Fenix sounds like a solid fit for this thread, although I don’t think it’s that obscure.

5 Likes

I have the earlier EML-200, which was less an instrument and more like a collection of lab equipment. It’s a lot less musical than the EML-101, which was a fantastic synthesizer. I’d love to get one of those. Nevertheless, I do love the 200 for what it is.

EML instruments are now expensive and hard to come by. However, there is a company making a semi-modular instrument very much inspired by the EML-200:

https://www.electronicmusicworks.com/synthesizers/emw-200.html

IMG_2583

4 Likes

Not as such, and there’s a new batch being made soon too, apparently; but pretty much out of the reach of many.

Also not that obscure, but Landscape’s stuff seems to be all awesome. I have the Stereo Field, and everything I’ve heard from Noon sounds totally amazing. And the HC-TT is how I made music as a teen, with cassettes and record players.

5 Likes

At first I thought you were being a bit overreactive than I enlarged the image and realized I couldn’t tell whether they were knobs or burnt marshmallows. Also, are the touch plates taped to the box’s surface?

2 Likes

Out of curiosity did you post the same question over o. Mod Wiggler? Bet you they’ll also have some good suggestions.

1 Like

Neutral Labs Elmyra 2 would be my recommendation

6 Likes

Surprised no one mentioned the Fenix synths. Like Hordijk, this is also a Dutch creation.

6 Likes

They’d make a great pair! I had thoughts of picking up the 400/401 many moons ago, but that’s more GAS than requirement. I really should use the 101 a lot more than I do. I picked it up years ago in the Bronx for $250… I’ve never been thrilled about taking it out and end up using my “live” setup most when I’m home. It’s old and could use some calibration, but even as is, it sounds fairly unique and wonderful in a mix.

2 Likes

Well…

I know two people who have Fénixes (both in the same musical project too) - they sound amazing.

2 Likes

The EML-101 is fantastic, and the 400/401 is an incredible setup. One would be hard-pressed to think of a more impressive sequencing system.

I’m constantly checking Reverb and eBay for an EML-300 or 301, though. My 200 feels a bit incomplete without one. I will likely buy an EMW-300 as a stop-gap controller.

5 Likes

Love learning about all these instruments I’ve never heard of! Hate how expensive and rare some of them are lol.

The analogfx ser-2020 and Erica pico systems look fun!

3 Likes

the metasonix stuff probably fits in here as well. classics that hopefully get remade someday

7 Likes

i also have a Fenix i. #4 first run. i’ll be buried with it.

5 Likes

I can only begin to imagine - you lucky synthesist, you!

1 Like

i was trying to remember the name of this one.

less than 100 made.

Patch Point is making 100 of the II P variant, which is good news.

The Fénix II PP is a direct descendant of the Fénix II in collaboration with the designer, Mr. Bert Vermuelen of the original Synton design team.

It is a fully analog synthesizer, with the same components as the original Fénix II, with some upgrades.

2 Likes

yes i know. very cool. but dont remind me haha im trying to minimize the studio this year. but seriously i wish i could justify dropping that much on another one.

1 Like