OB for Linux (sorta ;)

Thanks @droelf it’s amazing and it works on the DIGITONE too !!!

I can have a dump of each track of the digitone and a track with the mix.

Just change this in the overbridge.c file

// we support only the Digitakt for now …
#define DT_VID 0x1935
#define DT_PID 0x0014
//#define DT_PID 0x000c

Then 

mkdir build
cd build
cmake ../ -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release
make

and launch 
sudo ./dtdump

GREAT !!!
1 Like

Thanks koorenay, I modified the current code to simply try both PIDs (first digitakt, then digitone) during USB init and use the first available one. So it should work now on both devices. I do not have a tone unfortunately, so everyone is welcome to test (and send pull requests :wink:).
Also, in partly related news, I created a kernel driver for overbridge
https://github.com/droelfdroelf/snd-digitakt
(should better be renamed to snd-overbridge now …) with both audio AND midi working, plus a modified version of the raspbian image build system
https://github.com/droelfdroelf/pi-gen
to integrate it in raspbian image builds. The idea is then to have something like Supercollider or PureData running on a Pi (or similar) which could then add some nice features, e.g. routing digit*s external inputs through some effects and mixing them down with the internal channels.

9 Likes

I really hope your work brings someone closer to making the device I crave.

My vision is a simple stand alone multi-out box that connects to the the Digi-x via usb and includes some kind of header that makes sense of the digital audio stream and spits each channel of audio out with a DAC and 1/4" jack per channel.

Thanks for your work!

4 Likes

This sounds like a pretty ideal for Elektron to produce at some point. It must be a consideration or have been discussed by them at some point… Reckon a lot of 'nauts would insta-buy!

I’d insta-buy two :slight_smile:

don’t have a digitakt but your effort is really cool! <3 <3 <3
n1

(and it didn’t take 6 months to get a release :stuck_out_tongue: )

Just connect an audio interface with at least 8 outs to any decent laptop, install the OB2 beta version, and you’ve got that ideal device.

2 Likes

Yeah, I get that that’s the point of Overbridge and I’m sure that would be great for some people - but I don’t want to use a computer - especially when a small, simple dedicated break-out box could do the same job.

With things as they are in the world of computing, I wonder if Overbridge will even have a lifespan as long as Elektron’s hardware devices; it’s conceivable that it won’t. Regardless, a dedicated breakout box is exactly what some of us want, and it would ensure that the insane amount of time and resources Elektron have put into OB, could never become a completely wasted effort.

Furthermore, as Elektron customers, we’re all subsidizing Overbridge whether it’s something we’ll eventually use or not - a dedicated box would nicely share some of the benefits of that cost and labour to a broader user base.

For some of us there’s just something counter intuitive about Overbridge - a lot of people buy dedicated hardware to avoid non-dedicated computational devices; and I’m one of them. I didn’t buy either of the Digis in the hope that Elektron would make a break-out box (I bought them because they’re dope) but I sure as hell wouldn’t say no to (relatively) cheap, hassle free multi-outs.

2 Likes

IMHO it’s definitely not about “how the things are in the world of computing”. It’s about how you use/treat them. With some simple rules like:

1. never connect it to the internet
  2. use it only for audio production
  3. don’t upgrade/update just for the sake of updating

your computer setup will last equally long as a dedicated hardware box. Of course you need to make sure to stay away from software which requires an online connection (license verifications or different stuff).

But other than that: it’s all about discipline. Just because a computer can do all kinds of stuff and you can install and run a zillion different apps, doesn’t mean you should when you want a stable system which may last a while.

You can definitely build a small form factor box which runs OB (and nothing else). Configure it to autostart everything needed and the usability isn’t far of what you would get (or pay) for a dedicated box.

2 Likes

Exactly what I thought about typing but was too lazy to actually do :joy:

1 Like

This looks really great, i just dont know how to make it work. Is it possible to install the snd-digitakt driver on a working raspbian system or do i have to use the pi-gen tool (which looks really complicated to me)?