OB and Push?

Im thinking about going from barely using Logic to using Ableton and Push. Anyone had a good experience with Push in general? Especially while using Overbridge?

Push seems to make a lot more sense to me since i come from a guitar background, and space is limited. Using a keyboard controller at the moment. Other options might be Launchpad pro. I like that it had midi ports for controlling hardware. But I have just heard so much good about Ableton and Push its hard to ignore.

Havent delved into Push and OB much but it does at least work in terms of midi note transfer. To be honest, I’ve used it more to control my MnM than AR/AK in any great way.

Im interested to hear if anyone has managed to set up a nice way of controlling program changes via scenes in Live/Push though.

I own Push. It’s an amazing controller. It’s more than a controller, it’s an extension of Ableton. Check out all the videos on push from Ableton, it’s super easy to get the hang of. It’s also great for controlling and sequencing analog gear. Gah, it’s my favorite controller I’ve every owned.

I have push and a rtym, a4. Over bridge doesn’t give you anymore control with push. Then say midi. But there is lots you could do. As in mapping. but you’d have to do that yourself. Push is lots of fun. And take most the computer. Out of using ableton. Though you can still mouse around if you want.

Thinking about it… I suppose you don’t need push to integrate “well” with A4 and Rytm since you already have the best controller for them, the unit themselves? If you could map some stuff to the push for easy access what could be nice though, and that shouldn’t be a problem right? You will probably want to use the internal sequencers as well instead of the one on Push.

Using it to play notes from the A4 would be the big thing for me I think!

OB + Live + Push is ADHS (Analog-Dream-Hybrid-Setup)

I use Push as center controller for my analog boxes (Rytm+AF)
i have made a nice project with everything setup properly and everytime i open Live i can just hit Rec and have fun.

I don´t use Live´s sequencer, i sequence on the boxes (P-Lock´s, slides etc)
than i use Push for on the fly sampling/looping (just select a sample slot /audio track - in session view = records audio with fixed length -> perfect loop)

In principle i use Live + Push like my “old & clumsy” Octatrack before i had Overbridge.

Better workflow, no/less hassle, sample managment on my DAW, no corrupted data on CF cards :wink: (backups are our friends) and even with Octaedit, you can not beat the comfort overbridge is bringing to the table.

Of course when you play live (shows) and don not want to use a laptop there is no way around the Octatrack. But for my studio setup

OB + Live + Push

Hi AriHaf would you be willing to share the template you mention? I have nearly the same set up and have been experimenting with how to use it best. It would be great to see how you’ve done it!
Thanks a lot!

+1, was going to ask the same :slight_smile:

Hi Gang,

yes i could share the template, but i don´t know if it´s that special :wink:

It´s just the A4 Plug routed to a seperate audio track (my a4 sampler)
and a audio track routed to the Rytm plug (rytm sampler).

So i start jamming on the A4 or Rytm, If i like a part i record it on the audio track . No magic tricks :slight_smile:

Push/Live has a nice feature “Fixed Length” (1beat / 2beats / 1bar / 2bar etc)
it like a looper but without the looper device or overdub , like the OT´s “flex” machines. You can select a clip in session view (Push: Select+ “clip” pad) and hit the big record button. Because of the fixed length it stops the recording after the set length and directly loops the clip (like the OT). You can achieve the same effect without Push when you set the global quantice (eg 1bar) and hit play on the clip after you started recording. It stops recording after 1 bar and loops…

Please try it yourself first. As you can see i just use 8 Tracks.
If you have any question, please feel free to ask :wink:
If you really need my template i can upload it to the userbase…

Have Fun!

How does the aftertouch work when using push+a4. Does it work flawlessly?

Hi, I don’t mean to hijack the thread, but I think this is sorta relevant.

Can anyone explain to me how to record the notes sent from DAW midi clip or live playing on Push in the Analog Four sequencer? I can play the individual sounds fine using Push armed to a midi track sending note to the relevant channel, but for some reason I can’t live record it in the Analog Four sequencer. This leads to having a bunch of clips in Ableton whilst having completely empty patterns in Analog Four and I wish to fix this. Thanks!

I ordered Push yesterday! :slight_smile:

I would also like to know the same thing asked in the two posts above me.

Does aftertouch/pressure sensitivity work?

Can I live record notes in to the A4 sequencer from the Push through Ableton? I was kind of thinking this was a given… Will be sad if it doesn’t work :frowning:

After touch works as expected. I use Push to record on the A4 sequencer all the time . It works great.

I usually work out the chords/bass progressions using the A4 step sequencer and then record live the lead lines using push.

It gives the track a more organic feel this way.

Hi, some good news.
You can use aftertouch from Push ( it has channel AT \ or poly AT) and use it to modulate parameters on your A4!
With Live 9.2 you can now set the aftertouch threshold (push and hold “user” for the internal setup menu) that was not possible without max for live before 9.2.
But i can’t set record trigs/notes wile holding trigs on the A4 with Push from Live. At least not through the plugin? maybe i am missing some setting?
Have fun.

Hi, some good news.
You can use aftertouch from Push ( it has channel AT \ or poly AT) and use it to modulate parameters on your A4!
With Live 9.2 you can now set the aftertouch threshold (push and hold “user” for the internal setup menu) that was not possible without max for live before 9.2.
But i can’t set record trigs/notes wile holding trigs on the A4 with Push from Live. At least not through the plugin? maybe i am missing some setting?
Have fun.[/quote]
The trick is to use a midi track with the Electron A4 as the midi out device and use the Global channel as the midi out channel and you’ll be able to set the record trigs and record in live mode.

I’m not sure if it’s a bug or a feature but even when A4 is in OB mode, the A4 USB Midi ports are still active and receiving data.

Umm so you mean that in order to rec sequences back to the elektron units from OB, we need to use USB-MIDI/DIN-MIDI to transmit the notes etc? In addition to running OB?

This raises several questions - How is the sync going to be like in such a scenario? Furthermore, what about OB parameter automations? Will they get recorded into the hardware along with the note data?

Just want to be clear about this as AFAIK using OB devices as MIDI/Audio devices with live seems to cause conflicts with OB, at least in certain configs…

Hi i noticed the same, but i directly deactivated the midi receive/clock/cc , because i got some strange effects, jumping clock, bad sync, doubled notes.
As you said i created a midi track and set “midi to” to “analog 4” -> “track in”.

Ok.

But do i need to set the “Track” or “Remote” option in the prefenrences?

Do i need a Din Midi connection (midi in port), as Tsutek mentioned,
to record trigs on the A4 with overbridge activated?

If yes ok, i can live with that, but will this change in a future update?
can you change patterns with this setup (Prog Ch??

Maybe SIMON can tell us somthing on this subject?
Thank you very much.

And sorry Cealestis to highjack your topic. I hope you like Push and Live as much as me. Never had an more inspiring hardware software combo!

So i tried it myself.

Yes, you need a din midi connection (MIDI IO -> A4 MIDI IO) to sequence on the unit with external hardware (PUSH, midi keyboard). I cant get this to work with only USB + OB.

This way you can use midi clips to change pattern on the A4, too.
To do so you need to activate PGM receive in the midi sync menu.

LIVE CLIP VIEW - NOTES

PGM Change

BANK —
SUB —
PGM 1-16 => A01-A16 on the A4

BANK —
SUB —
PGM 17-32 => B01-B16 on the A4

etc.

Have fun.

I just send additional midi clips to the different channels of the vst,
I dont need additional cabeling.
Dataline had shown a video demonstrating this.

Of course i can sequence the midi track, via push.
When i want to record it to the A4, i have to enable live record mode on the A4. I turn off looping in Ableton Live, and quantize record in the A4.

Start the sequence.

If you have longer loops, 2-x bars, create a chain the same length, and then start live record.

If using only one OB device then you shouldn’t need midi at all. It all works through USB for me (sending/recieving midi data into sequencer/Live/etc).

I did have 2 OB devices working with midi over USB until I updated to Win10 (my problems have been detailed elsewhere) and now I need to use midi to get all my devices program changing and working as desired.

In my set up, OB seems to create a midi conflict with multiple devices connected and it needs a bit of fannying around to work.