OB-6 single synth demo (ambient)

I am still fighting with the tuning of it, but here´s a first demo of my new OB-6.

12 Likes

You’re making me want one now. Nice vid!

1 Like

Well its a great sounding Synth, one of the best besides the P6, but i really wish the tuning would stay stable for longer than ten minutes. Not a piece of Gear i would recommend for the stage. During the recording of this piece over two hours i had to calibrate it at least half a dozen times.

Does that ever result in happy endings or is it just a pain?

Bloody marvellous. Love it, mate.

1 Like

That’s strange. My OB6 has extremely stable tuning. Never have problems. Have you cleared the tuning table and recalibrated it for all of the temp variations in your studio?

2 Likes

Yes i did. And i calibrated it now at least three or four dozen times at different dass, with different temperatures. I wonder when it will be enough.

Thank you! Its one of those giving synths, where the Parameters reacts very nicely with each other, so that at the end you can’t stop touching the knobs, while noodling.

2 Likes

love it. beautiful sounds. a dream synth for sure.
Hope your tuning issues get solved

1 Like

This is truly beautiful. Only bad thing: this is the first time I miss my OB-6 (sold it a couple months ago). I take it you’re using the Blooper in this one as well? Sounds like an excellent combo!

1 Like

I only calibrated my OB-6 twice: a few weeks after moving in a new place. Mine is stable as well.

Inspiring piece of music, got to make one as well!

1 Like

The Blooper is a great tool for everything!

1 Like

Sounds good through my crappy laptop speakers so it must be good . Nice video as well.

1 Like

Excellent.

Btw, did you wipe the calibration table? Mine is dead stable.

I’m not sure If it did, and If the button Combo [Manual+3] is the same on the Desktop as well as the Keyboard Version.
Today i had the OB6 in use again several hours, and it seems more stable now. Only once calibration per hour now. Lets see how it goes tomorrow.

Oh kay. F*** it. It goes back to Thomann. (again)
Switched it on (waiting then for warming it up for 10 minutes). Boom. Instantly out of tune. Recalibration. 4 Minutes later, again out of tune. Unreliable unit. Never had issues with my P6.

Sounds like you got a bad unit, maybe have it exchanged?
Lovely piece. I have nearly ordered the OB-6 myself.

Yes if it works, it´s a very fine sounding instrument. But maybe there is a problem with the Desktop unit vs the Keyboard version?

I recorded a couple of tracks with it, not sure if i want it again. There are a couple of other things also, that i dislike, but are more of a personal taste, like envelope-, oscillator waveform- and filter- behaviour. I recently got my A4 back from repair and i have to say, it might not have the pressure, but it´s also capable of doing those raspy sounds with a LPF+Notch filter combo, though not as sweet.

I have the desktop version. The room temperature oscillates, it can be pretty warm in there.
But it’s stable nonetheless.

IIRC you have to wait for like 2 hours before you do the calibration, so that it is in a stable state.

(You of course don’t have the “Detune” pot or incoming MIDI CC at non-zero value, do you?)

Nope, nothing of it. I put an Init sound with just one Osc as saw on Patch 000 to check.
And for the very very first time i had it on like 1 hour.
When it detunes it´s usually 3 of 6, which is strange. So when it cycles through the voice cards, it always then 3 ok, 3 not ok. However, i opted for money back.
But after so many hours of usage (now like 30+) and many calibrations, it should stay stable. It doesn´t. Very unreliable. Sometimes it stays in tune for an hour, then only for five minutes. And my room temperature is not changing so drastically.