OB 1.15.0 Issues

I think what Apple may have done in later versions, is enforce QOS (bandwidth allocation) on USB. That may explain how the latest OS fixed USB headphone glitches.

With a bit of re-balancing my kit on the available busses, I now have the system working fairly reliably.

It’s possible that Apple have actually done the right thing with the new USB fixes.

i don’t know that much of the inner stuff but to me it would seem like enforcing qos would provide a wider stability for usb devices, not fix for friggin headphones and wreck functionality for devices that would use the bus more extensively. but if it was “wack” before and third parties had to make their stuff accordingly, and then apple makes it right/standard it makes sense that compatibility fails.

it’s tricky deciding when to update when you have one allround computer. the daily update notice is getting on my nerves, and i have to check that it does’nt update when i reboot. apple is quite aggressive when it comes to updates on all their machines.

still would like to hear something about a OB update tho!

Depends if all those devices play by the rules properly, when requesting band-width.

…or, let’s say (as a hypothetical), 3 devices audio were requesting 30 percent each and some ofher device were requesting 11%.

It’s possible that without a QOS mechanism being strict, that most of the time, even though a certain amount was being requested, those devices would actually work OK together, most of the time - given tolerances and balancing.

…but a more strict QOS system might reject one of them.

All hypothetical though and it entirely depends on each system and what’s connected to it. I don’t know what changed, but what I’m saying is - it’s not necessarily Apple having “broken” something. They may be forcing compliance.

I don’t know how much this can help anybody and to be honest i’m not even sure if this is true but a while ago I heard that the best way to ensure smooth USB data transfer is to use one device per input.
In the end, even if you add a hub (even powered) there’s only certain amount of data this port can push through.
In the begining I had issues with my A4 doing weird things using OB but once I moved to a separate (from everything else) port that thing works like it was born to do it.
I still ordered the overhub and I will give it a fair test once it arrives but for now having 5 synths + 18i8 using USB audio my cubase experience is stellar. Zero issues whatsoever.

**you can try updating USB drivers (for the motherboard) with the latest stuff. This can also help.

Thanks I will start to see if on 10.12.5 and soon 10.12.6 if it’s working with the new USB-C (Thunderbolt) to USB adapter.

And then I will start from 10.12.3 and make test from this point. I hope I will have something working otherwise I will drop OB and waiting for the new update later this year. (and come back to Sync box ERM-Multiclock from July/August to End 2017)

i see, seems like strict would be preferable to be ensure getting the expected performance

Same here. I tried to connect A4+AR+AH via a Dlink powered usb hub and i had many problems, especialy with Heat - distorted sound, no sound and others. Then i connected Analog Heat to a separate usb port of my macbook pro and now all my problems are gone.

2 Likes

I would like to report here i have no problem at all on MacOS Sierra 10.12.5
And i’m surprise to not encountered a THING or Two :scream:

So what do you have really guys ? maybe i can reproduce your issues and i forget to test something. it’s even working better for me as ever so… Sync is a bit before the beat but it’s really very close you need to zoom a lot to see that.

Maybe it’s because i pass the RYTM by the Apple Dongle USB-C to USB
Maybe it’s because it’s the last one on Kaby Lake i don’t know.
But my Overbridge session is as fine as Bitwig on Ableton Live now (because i reported better results on Bitwig few month ago when i done the OB-Session Template)

i’m at 64 sample, 24-48000khz, no bug all stable

1 Like

For anyone looking to run OB on an older Xeon Mac Pro, I just upgraded my 2008 3,1 Octa (6gbps pci-e SSD, 24GB Ram)'s OS from latest Mavericks to latest El Capitan and it broke some functionality.

So I’d stay on Mavericks with 1.15 OB.

Also a note that I only use the OB plugins (AK, AR) for graphic controls/macro assignments. I don’t use the audio over USB feature so I cannot comment on its performance with Mavericks.

Time machine roll back to Mavericks got me back to functionality.

1 Like