O-Coast External Audio In

Hi can someone who has an 0-Coast tell me if you can route external audio in to act as the oscillator that you can then wavefold etc - without the internal oscillator sounding? So it would work almost like an FX unit to modify another synth’s waveform rather than produce any sound itself.

Thanks.

Hi. Can’t be done, no. Signals from outside are for triggering and modulation only.

(Deleted)

Apologies all, I didn’t read the question fully - I thought you were saying you couldn’t route external audio into the 0-Coast - my bad as I didn’t read the question fully. You can’t do what the OP describes, no.

Ok, shame, but thanks for replies

According to the Make Noise 0 Coast manual page 33 you can indeed route an external signal through it

Interesting, I haven’t read it yet, but the website also states external audio input, which is why I asked.

Have any users managed to do this. I think using it as an external audio wavefolder would be awesome!

No I haven’t tried it yet. I’ve got a patch on it that I don’t want to break so I cant tell you

Sorry - quick question: whats a wavefolder?

It’s a method of modifying an existing waveform to create a new more complex waveform.

1 Like

The balance input can bring in an external source but as you turn balance up the external source disappeared. Its not affected by the overtone circuit or anything else.

1 Like

Ah. Ok. Thanks.

Very interesting concept ! I’m just at work, but I’ll messing around with this method when I get home and let you know the results.

Thanks @hotscience for [quote=“hotscience, post:12, topic:36664, full:true”]
The balance input can bring in an external source but as you turn balance up the external source disappeared. Its not affected by the overtone circuit or anything else.
[/quote]

Just looking at the manual and all the inputs/outputs, I’m pretty sure you can get the audio back around into the slope/multiply/overtone circuits. maybe even get the oscillators to act as modulation … this could be interesting !!

Oh man! I’ll have to try that too. Also at work :unamused:

One thing I’ve been doing is sending audio into the tempo input which drives the clock. With a PO-12 for example, it “sequences” the clock. Then clock-> gate etc… This patch has some cool results doing this

2 Likes

Sick ! I’ll have to try this with my PO-32 … I wonder if I could set the PO to sync mode and split the audio from the clock signal and then have both going into 0-coast ??? OMG every time I start to think about this machine my third eye opens. Definitely one of the best synths I’ve ever owned.

Cheers man - lets pool our results when we get a chance to try this stuff out !

1 Like

Yeah no doubt! You can def do some cool things splitting the signal. I don’t even use the clock out from the PO, just the audio, so it moves the clock depending on what you have in the sequence. All sorts of wild stuff happens depending on what sounds are coming from the PO. Also, lowering the volume on the PO seems to lower the voltage that goes to the clock somehow. But seriously, start with just the pure audio out (no sync pulse/clock) from the PO into tempo. Major fun!

3 Likes

Thanks @hotscience and @ON-OFF-ON appreciate it. I don’t have an 0-Coast, but I’ve been looking for something non-modular that can wavefold external audio to generate new sounds - and don’t really want to open pandora’s modular box if I don’t have to.

Imagine an OT track rocking a sample chain of tonnes of single cycle waveforms, modulating slice by LFO with the audio routed to the 0-Coast which wavefolds it with the wavefold parameters also modulated… could result in some pretty f@@ked up gnarly sounds… if it works?!?

Let me know how you get on.

If it can do this it’s a no brainier for me.

2 Likes

Will do !

Any joy with this?

I haven’t had a chance to test, but will be tonight. I’m guessing it’s not going to work only because the overtone and multiply circuits have CV inputs, which I don’t think can process an audio signal. I hope I’m wrong though!

1 Like