Nxt Level sequencing? Feature request for all Elektron sequencers!

Maybe English isn’t your first language or maybe you did not read the entire thread, because it would seem you don’t understand the concept:

1. If these things could be accomplished “with a little creativity” then I would not ask for them.
  2. If you believe “Elektron sequencers are already far ahead of anything else on the market“ then it indicates to me that you have not used a lot of other sequencers, sure Elektron sequencers are capable of lots of cool things, but there are also lots of things they can’t do that others can.
  3. Trig conditions did not require a “source code rewrite” neither did plays free tracks, and do you consider these to be incredibly niche features too?
  4. “Many of us are happy with the plethora of options available already and don’t really want to over complicate“ well like trig conditions or plays free or micro timing etc. it would not require that they must be used, and for those that wanted to then it would add a lot of options, also I’d be interested to know how you know other users satisfaction with/without this feature.
  5. “I would rather they spent what would be considerable development time on something more appealing to all users” so you are making assumptions on how long something that you do not fully understand would take to accomplish, and because you personally don’t have an interest in it, most likely because you don’t fully understand it, you also assume it would be unappealing to other users, right? Ok.
2 Likes

Not really, think of it like this, regular trigs just contain information about the step, what I’m proposing is that the sequencer is disconnected from the track as a plays free track, but unlike a plays free track the timing rhythm comes from additional trigs in the trig menu, so it makes it very quick and easy to experiment with different rhythms, different timebases and is easily and quickly copied for multiple variations.

I’ll try to find a video which illustrates the SH-101 sequencing with differing trig patterns on the same sequence which should show the concept better than I am explaining it :thup:

But as I said, I think that the concept could be developed much further since we are not dealing with a voltage trigger, which only has 2 states on or off, trigs in the Elektron paradigm could be assigned various operators such as reset, skip, back, fwd, and other logical conditions - which would of course allow much more interesting things :wink:

1 Like

That would be amazing. I think options like this are really missing in the Elektron sequencers to call them ahead… Also more scales. I know there are workarounds, but they stay workarounds…

2 Likes

I would love to see this implemented, that would be finally the loop of infinity ! (or at least a step closer to it.) Maybe a math function for encoder behavior (sin, cosin, (yes like LFO, but with x repeats for example, or with certain step division, that is played on those trigs, That would be awesome too. (Or motion record, and this is sequenced from an extra sequencer track.)

1 Like

Yes - tapping out the rhythm to a pre-locked track would be fun too!

1 Like

I have not used a device with conditional trigs, but I should imagine this scenario.

Track 8: set to Step Play Mode
Another Track: Conditional Trig set to Step advance with the following params

Track Number: 8 (to affect track8 for instance)
Step increment: +15/-15, RND
Multiplier: +1/+8

Although could affect any desired track step or not), nudging forward or back whilst playing

Ok, I knocked up a very basic instagram demo showing the idea using a TR-09 and SH-01a, the SH-01a was programmed with a simple 7 note sequence - in my suggestion this would be equivalent to what you’d enter in the track trigs, the TR-09 sequence is changed by adding and removing triggers - this would be the ‘step advance’ trigs. (These could be in the track trig edit sub menu, where slides and swing etc reside)

As you should be able to tell it makes for a very quick way to change the feel and structure of the sequence, all the note data stays the same, it is just the rhythm and number of trigger steps being modified.

Apologies for the crappy demo, I spent all of 1 minute setting it up and trying to film 1 handed with a ipad whilst trying to edit the sequence and keep the shot framed is a little tricky, also the placement of the gear was not optimal, but hopefully it explains the concept.

That was certainly more clear than trying to read the explanation, my brain couldn’t seperate the word trig after a while :smiley: So if I’m getting this correct, the melodic sequence is sett, and you can use seperate “sted advance trigs” to basically force rests at different places?

Pretty much, bear in mind though this demo was just showing (badly in a musical sense!) a simple trig to step idea, now imagine that the drum machine trigs could perform other actions, such as previous note, or transpose and step or any number of other actions, set on a by step basis, similar to trig conditions but not equivalent and could be used in tandem with them.

Yeah, I think I get it now. You might want to edit your initial post with a link to the video, seeing just a small demonstration made it much clearer for me

2 Likes

Good idea, done :thup:

1 Like

Hints of human league love action :joy:

Haha :laughing:

Happy accidents abound.
When you do this with the 03 with clk synced delay and slides sloping about wondering how quick they need be

So let’s visualise that:

st1

I’ve assigned ascending notes to the 16 trigs to make it clearer…

st2

X’s signify selection of ‘advance trigs’ at those positions

st5

… and then back to the same as 1st pass again, having exhausted all the Track 1 steps.

Is that it?
i.e. each ‘advance trig’ permits Track 1 to play the next step in the Track 1 sequence;
if there is no note in a step in track 1 it plays silent on an advance trig?

If I have it right, sounds good and very useful, particularly considering having odd lengths to track 1 or the presence of special trigs on Track 1 like trigless or conditional.

2 Likes

Tinman example

1 Like

@mokomo Yes, exactly as you perfectly illustrated - and thanks for that :thup:

Of course the step advance trigs and track trigs need not be as simple as this example, but it serves as a nice and simple way to show it, and as you can imagine trig conditions and odd lengths and step advance trigs with functional operators - well it could be amazing I think.

It seemed to work really well when I tried it when I first got my 03, I’ll make a little clip when I get the chance.

No I dont like the idea.

Any particular reason?