Nxt Level sequencing? Feature request for all Elektron sequencers!

Yes your prob right, need to increase note lengh but thats another story.

I rather enjoy the notion of the Octatrack becoming absurdly more complicated and offering a bazillion more possible audio permutations… :rofl:

4 Likes

4 Likes

Advanced = Brain on drugs ? :smile:

1 Like

DMT - Dynamic Musical Trigs :rofl:

4 Likes

They say the OT is difficult to learn, but how difficult is it?
I dropped out of college, but I can wield an Octatrack… :smiley:

It seems to me that learning the Octatrack is much easier than getting a professional degree in some career field, and many, many people are doing that… Did most of us not finish advanced education? Haha…

I wouldn’t mind an audio device of the caliber it would take years of study to master, allowing you to do things on an entirely different level only attainable through such devotion to learning and understanding its complexities…

As of now the Octatrack is possibly more difficult than High School but not as difficult as a University… :joy:
I wouldn’t mind if we got it to where you needed a degree to use one!
There’s plenty of simple boxes around, how about some grad school devices? :wink:

1 Like

It’s been awhile since I’ve been part of a DM Teamsters Union meeting…
We used to hold them regularly… :smiley_cat:

I never went to college, let alone uni, just 2 crappy state schools with mostly crappy teachers mixed in with the occasional ok one and a more than a few abusive ones, as soon as I legally could I got out of the whole sorry mess of state provided “education” :rofl:

But I digress, I never really found the OT hard to learn, hard to remember the button combos at times, but given all the things it can do, as I’m absolutely certain you will agree, worth it.

1 Like

Maybe I would have finished if they had degrees in Octatracking! Haha…

We’re going a bit OT (see what I did there?) but I always thought that ‘one size fits all’ state education was a crap concept and that children/parents should have the choice of the kind of education, so for sporty kids a sports weighted education, for academic kids an academic weighted education, and for creative kids a creative weighted education etc. Probably getting a bit political now though so I best shut up :wink:

3 Likes

daren - i can’t remember if you have or had a MnM, but if i’m understanding you correctly, it appears you could do what you’re proposing (at least in @mokomo’s written example) using the MnM’s arpeggiator.

if you created a 4-bar pattern … then on the main sequencer you laid down a single chord trig of 16 successive pitches … then in the arp, set it to True mode (i.e. plays the notes in the order they are given), and created a 16-step arp sequence at x6 rate with trigs on steps 1, 7, 10 and 14 … i think it would create the effect you’re describing. each measure would play four of the 16 notes of the chord trig. the first four in bar 1, the next four in bar 2, etc.

perhaps i’m missing something though. maybe if i’ve got it right this far, you could explain what other features you’re after that i’ve overlooked?

Haven’t read the whole thread but I’d be happy if all Elektron sequencers were the same or at least newer devices had at a minimum, the same features as older devices. It pisses me off to no end that the A4 still doesn’t have all the sequencing features of the Octatrack.

2 Likes

Sadly I no longer have a MnM :frowning: But yeah for that example you are right the arp could do it, but the example was just a basic illustration using ‘next’ where each trig in the ‘step advance’ increments the step, now imagine that you could set the trigs to do different behaviours like transpose, skip, previous, etc and it would take the concept much further, then with trig conditions, trigless trigs and what have you on the track trigs.

1 Like

clearer, thanks. i’m all for increasing the capabilities of elektron sequencers with features like this. exploring the MnM arp alone has kept me engaged for the past two years, and that’s an old OS.

i still have very little sense of how other companies’ sequencers compare on a feature by feature basis. sequencing has always seemed to be one of elektron’s strongest competencies though. i don’t expect circlon capabilities built into my synth, but here’s hoping they stay on the cutting edge.

I do like this idea

This is one of the things that attracts me about eurorack, since a good number of euro sequencers respond to irregular clock trigs, and have controllable inputs that can accept trigs to achieve transpose, direction changes, scale switching etc in just the way you describe.

A electron style approach to this would be awesome - I do note that there are some ways to get these kind of antics going in computer based sequencers too. :smiley:

Plus it would put some distance between Elektron and Roland, what with Roland adopting some Elektron ideas recently and their new hands on approach of the TR-8s.

Time for Elektron to break out the 3D Chess :joy:

Going from the AMA thread it seems that no new features are planned for OT :sob:

I would love it if Elektron at some point would offer an option (even if it’s set and forget hidden in a menu) where a track would return (reset) back aligned on the one beat when switching it from a polymeter amount of steps to 16/32/64 steps. (With Master scale in INF, cause polymeters)

I imagine this would be fairly doable. And a great addition to all Elektron sequencers.

Op-Z has this feature and it’s really cool…

Especially if you have a eurorack and run a lot of triggers through a mixer you can get some really funky results

1 Like

In general I love having resets in my Eurorack that I can mute. I have mute switches / attenuators on the reset clocks of both my Eurorack sequencers. So you can easily switch between polymeters and revert back to the main aligned 4/4 bars.