Novation X station 25 extreme opinions?

I could really use an advice on this midi controller with sound card, K-synth and audio card. I need one and this thing came up for 150€.
(My choice is X-Station or Samson graphite 49.)

It is in good condition with templates etc. looks great. Everything works. Its been discontinued while back :frowning:
How are these working nowadays? I mean compatibility wise Windows 10…
I need it for sending notes, assign CCs and the synth is surely a plus…
Anyone owns one and use it with anything?

Thanks

Cant speak for Windows 10, I sold my 49 about 2 years ago, but up to that point it worked a treat. Actually quite a nice VA synth engine in it too for mucking about with.

Things to check - the pots and faders can get a little flakey. They were never high end quality to begin with and knocks over time will mess with them a bit. Not the hardest to clean/fix though.

I mainly used mine to control some vst’s - had some built in templates for some synths which will long be out of date now no doubt but for me it was a great keyboard. Nice to play too.

1 Like

A few other things

X station 25 and x station 25 extrême are the same thing. Extreme came out first then there was a rebranding.

They have the same converters as the original mbox.

For live performances I noticed that some systems I had to raise the input gain people’s mixers.

The 8 voice VA synth is good and it was my first hardware synth. I remember linking it up to the guitar input of my BOSS BR864 multitrack effects. The garage bass and Detroit bass were my starter patches.

Keyboard action is really good. I’ve owned mine since 2005 and I use it for live and my rack samplers and synth modules.

Don’t know have windows 10 but do check their support page

1 Like

Thanks both for the information.

I’m not up to date on their products anymore, I used to own the X-25 without the sound card, something like 10-15 years ago? Controller only.

Just found this: https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/novation-x-station-25

One problem is that you can’t sequence the synth and switch to midi controller mode to control something else at the same time. One or the other.
Do you find that a problem @v00d00ppl?

I think if I can get the USB drivers and Editor working on windows 10,
I will probably get the x station…it is class compliant so no other drivers needed.

BTW, does anyone know if I plug in an external midi controller, does X-station let midi pass through?

1 Like

Oh yea you have to turn local mode off and grab another synth controller.

The way I worked around that issue was Play my synth parts into live as clips.

Then I would go back to using it as a synth controller. Was it annoying? Yea but I learned to work around it. That was my only hardware synth at the time so I learned to live without it. Never used as a midi through so I can’t comment on question two.

1 Like