Novation Launchpad Pro

Has anyone tried that with a TM-1? Sounds like Elektron identified “not being able to trigger slices from external midi” as a bug, so we should all keep banging on the bug report channel about it and see what they come up with. [/quote]
I don’t think anyone’s tried it with a TM-1 but I also strongly doubt that the issue is with MIDI transmission speed.

Yup, I think it’s been reported but I doubt it’s a high priority for Elektron. Plus the last 3 OS updates had some nasty bugs that caused most users to stay on an older version, even now, so I think they are a little gun-shy.

Hi,

Yes, that is true. MIDI note to slice trigger is not a feature of the Octatrack.
There is no plan for implementing such a feature at the moment unfortunately.

Regards,

Simon M

Well, I guess that’s hosed then. Agree with that, I’m still on ‘B’. I don’t use the stuff that’s bugged and all the ‘regression from…’ in the latest updates isn’t confidence-inspiring.

1 Like

I’m programming the Launchpad Pro open-source firmware for Digitakt. I started as just a tool for multitimbral synths but adapted and made modes specifically for Digitakt. Is there still interest in this?

6 Likes

Yes! I’ve seriously been dreaming about this for digitakt. Please let me know if you need someone to test.

Awesome. I’ve been playing with the thought of hacking around with the LP but never found the time. It is such a capable controller.

Will it be standalone straight into the DT over USB and fully powered or will it be some kind of Max patch that a computer is needed for?

It has direct MIDI out via a 5 PIN DIN (however they have a little cable that comes with it for this).
So it is completely stand-alone… no computer needed.
But you can also use its USB Midi if you have the set-up for it.
(It powers via USB or a power supply)

Ok, I forgot the DT don’t have USB host functionality so you have to run a DIN cable. Still pretty cool.

Here’s a demo of a few of the modes, using the MIDI in and out, and a breakdown of what’s going on (to a degree)
https://fenixsong.com/launchpad-digitakt-video-breakdown/
However, I didn’t get to the “Pure Digitakt” mode yet, mainly because I need to practice with it more :slight_smile:
I have a few more ideas for Modes just for Digitakt that I haven’t built yet, but should be easy to implement based on how I’ve coded it.
Let me know what you think.
Also, let me know… do you already have a Launchpad Pro?

2 Likes

Yeah, I have one! I dig that piano mode-- been wishing for something like that. Nice work so far!

1 Like

Cool, thanks.
Right! The chromatic mode originally from Ableton and then the scale modes from ??various?? were ok, but didn’t really play naturally. My “Piano Mode” wastes a few keys but its an easy trade-off
I’ll look at cleaning up the extra junk in the program and putting out a SYSEX file you can load in. It’s pretty easy to ‘install’

1 Like

Great to read about active people with the Launchpad Pro. I have one since it came out in 2015. Used it with Ableton live. At the moment I am focussing on a dawless setup with a Digitakt. Plan to buy an Octatrack, too.

Sometimes I really like the pads to play notes fast and in a huge range. Sometimes I prefer a keyboard for playing more musically.

The Launchpad Pro is a nice controller. MIDI out, poly aftertouch. It is a pity that it is not pushed more from Novation. It seems that they put effort into more successful products as the Novation Circuit or even the Circuit Mono Station and left the Launchpad Pro as it is. Maybe Ableton’s Push is a huge competitor. When I bought it I read about the open firmware. That’s really nice, but it seems to be so special, that not many people seem to work on it.

From time to time I think the Launchpad Pro with it’s polyphonic aftertouch would be a good justification for me to buy a Novation Peak. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I hear you. I’m thinking the same… I have a keyboard too for that reason. I’m trying to make the pads more musical in some ways, there are limits to each. One thing really cool about the Launchpad vs. Keyboard is: Say there is a show where you want or need the gear to be a small footprint… the Launchpad can pack a lot of performance options in a small space. Micro-keyboards could work too I guess, but then you have 2 octaves or so.

Yah, its hard to read Novation on this one. I could be pessimistic on it, but I choose to be: they left us a blank slate and didn’t suggest anything. So its easier to come up with original ideas on it and make something entirely new. But there wasn’t much to help me get started. I really had to make a whole structure from almost nothing. I think that’s why there hasn’t been much developed here. Its a really good platform for making ‘instruments’ and controllers. I hope it takes off more.

2 Likes

Awesome, looking forward to trying it out. Yeah, with the scale modes there was a lot to memorize in terms of which pads set major, minor, modes, etc., and chromatic never felt natural. Totally support losing a few pads to gain in playability.

1 Like

I sent a message to the general elektronauts account asking to add a category to FILES (up at the top menu) for Digitakt. It looks like it doesn’t have one so I think that would be a better way to classify this.

Did anyone every end up doing interesting stuff with these? Just traded for one to use as portable pads. I see people asking for companies to open source hardware all the time, from the looks of it this went open source upwards of 2 years ago and I can’t really find anything online. Not sure if I’m missing somewhere

The most developed thing for the LP Pro was
jrcurtis made subsequencely
which was a step sequencer that ran standalone from any computer,
BUT, the problem was there isn’t enough flash memory on the LP Pro to save many sequences.
And if you are here, the sequencer on any Elektron product is much better and complete.
I’m working with the LP Pro and programming it to be a perfect companion device to the Digitakt so that some of the things that are hard to do in the interface are opened up and really handy.
Play scales in innovative ways. Control all filters individually on one screen… that sort of thing… and some magic that you can’t really do anywhere (details coming soon)

5 Likes

Yeah I’d never expect the same level as an elektron sequencer on a hacked midi controller. I was just curious if people had done anything with it. Good luck with the project, I’ll keep an eye open. Currently planning to use it as physical pads for the ipad, the screen is fine but I don’t think it was really intended to be used as a drum kit. Plus scales mode and stuff is a bonus. Is it complicated to map? I was considering making mapping’s for OT but it doesn’t look like there’s any kind of software editor

I’ve been dying to get one. I decided to repurchase an Ableton Push over the LPP but regretted it almost immediately. I love the Push, especially the V1, but I just don’t utilize it to it’s full potential since grabbing the Maschine MK3 and Digitakt. The damn physical beauty of the Push 2 just gets me every time. I’ve been hoping to try the LPP before my return policy is over because if it can do the basics of what I need I’d rather have that honestly. The midi I/o and standalone mode (and the price point) has definitely made me reconsider my Push repurchase.

I think I want one of these! This is really cool. The ableton Push is cool too but since it is meant to be paired to Abelton and a Daw I wasn’t really interested.

I mean if you can play scales and chords and pads (like BeatMaker 3 on IOS) but be controlling a Digitakt or a monosynth or any other piece of standalone gear how flippin rad would that be?! I think it would be totally worth it even if you had to map all the controls yourself per machine.

1 Like

Yes! It can do all of those things. Standard things like notes will carry over on all MIDI devices. Things like CC for filter and resonance could be different on every machine but some standardization is there.
SYSEx can even be done but that will be harder and vary more greatly per machine.