Novation // Circuit

5 Likes

How is the Novation Circuit at controlling external midi synths?
Any fun?
Looking for a grid controller with notes/scale so I was thinking Launchpad pro, but then I realised I could look for a Circuitā€¦

It is good for sequencing other stuff, however you canā€™t change the midi channels they are permanently 1 and 2 on the hardware, you could use some clever midi routing to change it somehow though

1 Like

That wouldnā€™t be a problem I guess as Iā€™d have it send midi into the MPC live and from there out to the A4.

Ops, I might have just bought oneā€¦

2 Likes

Iā€™ve practically been foaming at the mouth for these new features. Makes me miss the DT a bit less, kinda. Anyone else excited about the new features?

3 Likes

Absolutely.
They really pushed the circuit in the right direction with every release.
And Iā€™ve never had ANY issue with it.
If the now would release an renewed manual, that woukd be it.
A duotimbral polyphonic synth (Ultranova engines), yet very restricted in itā€™s interface for less than 300 EUR with four sample parts (with a great sounding overdrive), battery powered. They really nailed it.
At 1.0 i was happy when I bought it. With every update the machine grew new powers, always stable.
Itā€™s not a toy, even when it looks like. More of a performance synth.
You prep your patches on the go via mobile editor or in the editor on the computer, with eight assignale
macro knobs to ALL parameters, the UI very straight forward.

If one looks for a new companion or a sketchbook, I can totally recommend the circuit. Used ones starting at 170EUR.

2 Likes

They definitely played their cards right with the Circuit. The fact that year after year you keep getting your moneyā€™s worth with each update is just plain awesome. I canā€™t wait to sequence my 404 with the synth tracks and micro delays. Some wonkiness is sure to come!

2 Likes

I have my Digitone and Iā€™m looking for something to pair it with. I figured that sounds like a solid option based on the reviews but wanted to ask for your opinions :slight_smile: Next year Iā€™m going to get the Digitakt but for now I need something with a bit more drum capabilities to use alongside my Digitone.

1 Like

not owning yet, but planning to give it myself for xmas.
what makes it very attractive for me:

• two polyphonic synths + some drums + input device combo in this form factor is unbeatable. (well, desktop blofeld is smaller, but it has nothing like keyboard input).
  • everything is MIDI controllable, either via CC or NRPN. (novation style)

so, at least itā€™s a perfect device for touring.

No way to deep edit synth patches without computer + lack of patch slots = total deal breaker for me.

1 Like

And itā€™s a shame really, cause the synths sound good and have interesting params.

A friend loaned me a Circuit and a Mono Station for a couple weeks maybe a year ago? Played with em for a day or two and set em aside. Weird, because thereā€™s nothing ā€˜wrongā€™ with em and many just love em. I just couldnā€™t get into them at all

1 Like

Iā€™ve decided to just snag the new pad controller for the Professional version of the DAW I use (Studio One 4 and the Presonus Atom controller)ā€¦ Itā€™s only $150 right now and came out quite recently.

I have a Circuit Mono Station. Love it. Good sound and interface. Not quite the same as a Circuit though, obviously.

1 Like

The names confuse me a bitā€¦ They call the groovebox the Circuit but if it were up to me Iā€™d call the Mono Station the Circuit lol.

Let us know how that is in another thread once youā€™ve used it for a bit. Iā€™ve been eyeing it.

I donā€™t really like the features/sound all that much, although itā€™s an interesting effort and a nice option for beginnersā€¦ imho
I wonder if theyā€™ll ever go for something deeper, like an MK2 or a Pro version - with a screen and deeper capabilities - they did a great job updating the machine constantly with new features, so if they gather from those experiences and create a new instrument, it might be interesting.

1 Like

I kinda feel like the Deluge is the ā€˜Circuit Proā€™

1 Like

hehe well it does share some aspects, but Deluge seems like an incredibly deeper machineā€¦ it also shares some of the same downsides/critiques (ie. lack of screen, although most users say that it doesnā€™t matterā€¦ well, with all those amazing updates theyā€™ve kept doing, I think itā€™s hard to deny that a screen would be appreciated)ā€¦ thatā€™s another machine that made me feel ā€œtheyā€™ll get it right on MK2ā€ - that might never happen, but stillā€¦
I do think Deluge is one of the most bold, interesting instruments Iā€™ve seen in the last few years, and the pace and dimension of the features theyā€™ve been adding puts Elektron to shame :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes