Novation Circuit Rhythm and Circuit Tracks

I feel like many companies are. Korg’s Motion Sequencing 2.0 is impressive, and in many ways goes beyond Elektron. Even the Monologue which is a bit old now had fun tricks like muting automation independent from muting notes.

The Typhon from Dreadbox brings in some “modulate the sequencer!” tricks to the desktop format, and I am excited to see what future products may bring.

The old Pro 2 and new Pro 3 also have tricks Elektron should adopt like playback direction that are common on even $100 Korg sequencers.

As you mentioned, the Roland TR-06’s master probability level that only applied to steps with probability set is a bit unique, as well.

My point is Elektron sequencers are amazing, but I hope they don’t rest on their laurels because the competition is moving forward with their sequencers in their own fun and interesting ways.
There is also a bit of a deep modulation renaissance going on right now that is fun to see. I hope Elektron rides that wave. My OTs are great but the other boxes could use more LFOs as well.

8 Likes

yes yes yes, and the sooner we get out of the beat machines don’t really need these types of advancements the better!!
didn’t know that about the Typhon, thanks

I find that the Circuit sequencer really shines when you write melodies and chord progressions.

1 Like

Yeah, I actually think Elektron’s falling behind when it comes to sequencers now. They’ve perfected the classic pattern structure, but that’s still where they are.

Not a bad place to be, but not leading the innovation right now, for sure.

2 Likes

Given the OG topic do you think it worth breaking out to a “Sequencer Ideas and Innovations” thread? Given what’s happening in the market and your fine summary, the topic feels like it might have the legs to justify itself.

2 Likes

If you build it… I will add my ill-conceived brainfarts

[edit] there’s a thread already:

2 Likes

just a side note from a person with fetish for sequencers (me):
the most advanced sequencer in portable form factor is still Pyramid.

but it alone costs more than, say,. Digitakt or Digitone.
the difference — Digitakt or Digitone are self contained machines capable of making complete tracks.

however, after moving to MC-707 for about a year, i could not put up with the fact that Pyramid is shelved — it’s just too good to be shelved.
so, i’m building another — Pyramid-centered — live rig now.

1 Like

I don’t own either machine, but I have to say the Deluge looks a lot more appealing to me than a Pyramid.

Can you give me a flavour of what kind of advanced things the Pyramid can do that the Deluge can’t ? (Not asking for a deep list, just the general gist).

This depends on your location. The novation video is listed as Friday for me. Although technically it’s Saturday :smiley:

1 Like

you caught me!
i did sort of feature comparison, but it was a year ago or so.

i remember that Deluge wins when it comes to arrangement/song mode, while Pyramid only operates patterns and groups of patterns called sequences.

i also remember that Pyramid clearly wins when it comes to various transformations and tricks with recorded notes and CCs — but it’s hard to tell which exactly features are not available in Deluge, because i don’t own it, so did not study the manual deep.

the bottom line: Pyramid is more sophisticated, but Deluge is more complete.

1 Like

I think when it comes to comparing the Pyramid and the Dellie, it comes down to workflow more than anything else. They’re completely different experiences. Features won’t matter at all, if you don’t gel with the way they’re designed and they’re completely different there.

2 Likes

Well … yes … the visual overview with the deluge appeals very much … I’m very visually oriented … find I need to draw pictures when explaining something I’m thinking about … so on that basis alone there’s no comparison between the two.

The Pyramid’s a bit obtuse, in that regard. It has a logic that works, and it’s not difficult to get around, but the Deluge plays in a different leauge when it comes to seeing your music, shifting it around, moving your pieces. It’s the sequencer’s equivalent of sheet music.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s not showing here in Space until April.

This conversation is taking me step-by-step closer to taking the plunge with a dellie.

4 Likes

Moving in for the kill now -

2 Likes

Is this real or fake?

Do it!! (Price goes up at the end of the month, by the way :slight_smile: )

[Or, maybe more sensibly, share what you’re looking for in the Dellie thread and we’ll tell ya if it’ll meet your needs]

How much of a price increase?

Apropos of nothing, and definitely off-topic for this thread, I have always been surprised at the (relatively) low price of the Deluge, especially considering all the functionality.

2 Likes