Notes stuck "on" when using Digitone VST in FL

UPDATE BELOW - WORKABLE SOLUTION FOUND.

I am not sure if this is the right place exactly, but I am experiencing a slightly frustrating issue. I have tried this setup in various arrangements with the same result, with one exception. The issue I experience is that randomly, a note will continue to play after it has been triggered and should stop. This will continue until I hit the stop button on the Digitone hardware itself. For interfacing with the DAW, the Digitone is hooked up via USB, routed through over bridge and into FL studio as a VST, which is pretty standard.

Unsuccessful setup 1 (The default) - This setup uses different colored notes inside of FL Studio piano roll to determine which track to play on the digitone. With this, you can have different patterns inside FL set up to use different note colors to keep tracks separated. This causes frequent issues where random notes will be stuck playing when they should not.

Unsuccessful setup 2 - Using Patcher, you can use the VFX Color mapper to do a similar effect to the above, where you can assign different colored notes to different tracks. VFX color mapper has 4 midi outputs by default you can route into the Digitone VST. This has similar effects to the above.

Unsuccessful setup 3 - Using patcher, I can route the Midi Out plugin to the Digitone plugin. Notes stick in this manner as well, however it is far less frequent. I am also limited to one track on the digitone, as I cannot clone this patcher setup and configure the next patcher setup to use the second track with midi out. The end result is there is no output, because the Digitone VST is already loaded and is using the primary midi port available to communicate with the Digitone.

Successful setup - Load the Digitone VST plugin and then add 4 Midi Out plugins. Set the midi out port to the midi input of your Digitone, then set each channel on each midi out to the respective tracks. This seems to be the only way I can use multiple tracks on the Digitone with FL studio, as it does not cause any of the described issues. However, this solution for me is not great because I need to be able to do some really specific automation. For example, If I wanted to use another VST plugin to apply an ARP to track 3, this is not possible with this setup. This is possible using the Patcher and Color Mapper setup, though.

What I am looking for is a reliable way to apply different forms of midi automation such as an external ARP to each of the tracks of the Digitone. I want to do this because I can then use different midi generation plugins or LFO generators inside of FL studio to apply an endless amount of automation to nearly every available parameter within the Digitone as a way to create generative or deeply evolving sounds, however I am unable to overcome the above mentioned issues to make this viable. If there are any other ways to set this up, or a way to solve the current issues I am experiencing that would be a huge step in the right direction.

UPDATE - I had a hunch that maybe I should try my MIDI to usb cable instead. So far, I have had much better results and am able to use all 4 tracks without any of the described issues above. The drawback to this solution is that I cannot route each digitone channel through to my mixer for different audio effects which is kind of a bummer but using a midi to usb cable instead of using the usb interface seems to work. I currently have Patcher set up with VFX color mapper to route through various generator and midi control plugins, then to fl studio’s midi out with each respective channel selected. I should be able to use this to also add in plugins to control various digitone parameters via midi which is just a matter of refrencing the midi cc parameters.

1 Like