Note to self: rytm is a great drum machine

What works for me all the time to get to know the gainstaging of certain Equipment: run a normalized sinewave through it. You will always notice the added coloring.

Edit: Train your ears and make your own experience, and don’t just trust numbers :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Wait, no, sinewaves and numbers good, mushy experience bad. You’ll always just pick the louder one.

I will always pick the one thats mixed better (this can obviously be a taste-thing) and I will always compare at the same Volume :slight_smile:

1 Like

I totally agree that people should train their ears. But there is a time to make artistic choices and a time to do engineering and when you are engineering you want to use measurements and numbers as much as possible and leave your ears out of it. We were talking about RYTM rolling off high end at a higher gain level which is something measurable. I’m really curious now to dig into that and know at what precise levels you will get rolloff or distortion.

I was excited when you proposed the sinewave thing that it would lead to some engineering but then you made that edit :laughing: