Not getting the sounds out of the MnM that I was hoping for

Hey Veets. Do you happen to have the sine width modulation files still? I have scoured the interwebs to no avail. I am convinced that loading and creating User Wave Forms is the key to getting the most out of this amazing and strange machine. I would like to use your waves as a foundation to start doing this myself as I have no experience with this type of thing. Thanks!

WasnĀ“t there a advice to put the volume level of each track not above 100 ? It should not distort than so much and dont get so sharp sound.

Iā€™ve found thereā€™s no hard and fast rule for this, but you can turn down the DIST setting if it starts to clip, and then turn the VOL setting up as much as you want. If the DIST setting is too high it will cut out a lot of the bass.

1 Like

Do you have the massive and serum single cycle waves? All I can find are full wavetables. I would be very interested in these:)

Embrace the harsh, digital and diverse sound that is the MnM. Donā€™t bother trying to make it sound like a Moog or even a virus.
Such a good change from all the retro boring analog we have to endure these days

8 Likes

The MnM is the hardest of their boxes to get deep with, but it may be the one I have the most enduring love for. I, like many others, was somewhat disappointed with it when I first got it home. It had a lot less immediacy than other synths that I was used to at the time. I think it was a solid year before I could consistently get stuff I liked from it. My biggest realization was that it is best used for 3-4 parts at a time, dedicating a few tracks to thru and fx machines as well as using them for layering. The VA side of it is pretty bland IMO tho sometimes useful. It really shines with the fm and wave table machines. The vocal synth is mysterious but can often be great with some exploration. On my track for the MnM/MD tribute Silver Souls I got a pretty great vowel morphing bass part out of itšŸ˜ It is also AMAZING as a poly synth. Itā€™s easy to forget about this aspect when the sequencer is so great, but hook up an external keyboard and put it in poly mode and be blown away. Embrace the digital aspect of the machine and you will love it. I think itā€™s a warm coldšŸ‘Œ

3 Likes

The NES (some would say SID) side of it is pretty fun as wellā€¦ This synth has a sonic territory that is its own, you have to surrender and admit it before starting to love it :smile:

1 Like

True, I actually adore the sid machine and use it quite often. Great for basses, drones, leads, perc, and crazy sound fx. Quite a versatile engine actually, and very characterful

Another upside to its ultra wide sonic bandwidth and dynamic range, it takes to heavy analog processing better than many other synths. MnM plus Heat is my go to source for gnarly bass sounds. FM+ thru Heat is instant win. Actually hard to create unusable sounds with this comboā˜ ļø

Yeah the SID machine is probably my most used machine, itā€™s really quite awesome.

I havenā€™t quite cracked getting great sounds out of the wavetable machines, but I think Iā€™m gonna have to download a few more wave packs to try with it, or make my own.

The vocal synth is great in combination with either plocks or LFO affecting vowel/consonant settingsā€”coupled with the arpeggiator it can get some really crazy gibberish going.

@pselodux check @Veetsā€™ SuperPoly trick :slight_smile:

The idea is to have a chord as wavetable to start with. Insane.

2 Likes

I sold my MnM a month ago and have a replacement coming today. After listening more to the jams I did while I had it, I realized that it was a mistake to sell. I am def. gonna be getting the sounds out of it that I hope for!

Thanks to everyone for the tips!

2 Likes

I have considered selling a few times but have resisted that urge. Glad to still own it.

Granted, I used the MnM money to fund an A4. I actually made out pretty good in terms of pricing. Bought the MnM for $150 less than I sold it for, bought the A4 for what I got the for the MnM, then bought a new MnM for only $15 more than I paid for my original. Plus the ā€œnewā€ MnM has the official manual and box this time, which my first one was missing.

1 Like

I sold my first. I sold my second. My third will stay.
A problem Iā€™ve found is that the MnM is so versatile. You can use it in so many ways. Itā€™s hard to find a stable place for it.
The performance joy it brings together with the MD is yet to be beaten. More immediate and fun than the OT and A4, I think. And it always brings something new and odd to the game.

I prefer the a4, but mnm sounds cannot be replicated anywhere else. Sounds much better when joined together with a blofeld.

I prefer the immediacy of the MnM. The A4 is a bit harder to get sounds out of sometimes, and the 4 voices is surprisingly more limiting than the 6 voices you can get on the MnM. Currently, Iā€™ll be rocking the OT, A4, MnM, and MD. Should be dope to get it all rocking.

1 Like

I find the a4 easier :grin:

1 Like

To each their own! To be fair, I had the MnM for a year and the A4 has only been with me for a month.

1 Like

Yer the first month with the a4 was challenging but it just clicked after that and off it went. The MnM Im still struggling with it after a year.