Norns

Fates is a really really easy build (I got a bare pcb in the first batch). If you havent done any SMT soldering then I guess the dac may be the hardest bit…

(Ps got all the parts for a neotrellis grid - just need to sort out the case - I’ll 3d print one. I’ve also built a diy teletype and diy arc clone…)

2 Likes

@xidnpnlss Only one, but there are a few combo scripts out there.

I adore my norns. As a non-coder I was very worried that I would have a hard with it, but that hasn’t been the case at all. The available scripts are endlessly inspiring, even if some can be a bit (or a lot) obtuse at the onset. There are lots of apps that don’t need a grid, but I do think that with the grid is where it really shines.

@skinpop See above re: grid, but there are people working on making it accessible to use with other grid devices. I haven’t been following so not sure how complete/friendly the setup is: https://llllllll.co/t/norns-alternative-grids/26909

I have an actual norns and an official (non-fates) diy kit. I ordered the kit with the smd pre-soldered and it only took me 15 minutes to complete the build. It’s a great first DIY project.

7 Likes

@circuitghost

Ha- thanks for the history. My path was somewhat similar, except I never really seriously considered the grid. I wasn’t interested in something that needed to be tethered to a computer. Once norns came out, the ideas started coming in again (I guess that makes my journey very similar!). Anyway, I will give it a run without a grid for now while keeping my eyes open for second-hand grids. They seem to pop up often enough. Cheat codes is a script that really looks like it fits my mode of musical thinking right now; but a grid really opens it up. Can’t wait to see your adventure as well as others in this thread.

3 Likes

I recently built the Norns DIY shield and am now in the process of assembling the DIY Neotrellis Grid. I’ve also been eyeing Monome devices for a long time, even tried emulating the Monome 64 on my Launchpad around 10 years ago. I really appreciate the Monome folks for supporting these DIY projects, as I would never have had the courage to invest in the official products (beautiful as they are).

As a person planning on writing my own Lua and eventually Supercollider scripts, the best thing about Norns is the community around it. Learning from existing scripts makes it really easy to get started without being bogged down in technical details.

5 Likes

Shipping notice says Wednesday next week now. Looking forward to it.

Here’s what I’m gonna try -

Norns + grid for musical ideas. Anything from leads to bass lines to chords to whatnot. Also, for processing, resampling, sound experimentation. Anything, really, that’s good enough to go into a track. Whatever comes out of it, I record into the Blackbox, where I put the actual track together.

So Norns + grid for ideas, source material, sounds, whatever.

Blackbox for recording those ideas and make them into a song.

Summing and mastering in the SSL SiX, from where I record the final result into my tiny Zoom.

If this works out, I’m done with outboard fx, synths and whatever. It won’t be about what I’m missing but about what I can do with what I’m not missing.

I wouldn’t mind trying to put together complete songs within the Norns as well, but it doesn’t seem like there are any apps made for that purpose, for which I’m fine. I can see the value in separating the lab from the refinement.

4 Likes

Well since I’ve already started down this rabbit hole with a norns shield, does anyone have a lead on a diy grid?

There’s a thread on lines where someone is working on one using the neo trellis kits from adafruit, I believe.

Found it: https://llllllll.co/t/diy-monome-compatible-grid-w-adafruit-neotrellis/28106

2 Likes

I built the Neotrellis grid from that thread this week. Relatively easy build, toughest parts were making sure the tiling of the individual 4x4 elements was flat. Easy to get the whole board end up warped if you’re not careful. I also had a bit of trouble with the build docs not being completely up to date, but @okyeron just updated them to match the latest version. He’s also working on a flexi PCB to make wiring up the Teensy to the USB breakout easier (only needed for Teensy 3.2, not 4.0).

Now waiting to get my laser-cut case from the local laser cut studio. Would have probably tried cutting it myself but all the public libraries are closed at the moment.

1 Like

Got my norns yesterday. Only had a chance to turn it on, update firmware and have a quick play with “awake” (sounds really nice!). First impression is - it is very aesthetically pleasing (to me, at least). I enjoy the minimal design. I love DIY projects, and thought about the various versions of norns, but I’m glad I sprung for the factory version. Going deeper, there is a lot packed into this small package. I didn’t realize it had a master reverb and compressor. I’m looking forward to digging into that signal path, to be sure. In another bit of serendipity, a new script was just posted called “pedalboard” that allows you to build fx chains for processing audio. One use case I was planning on trying was putting norns on an fx send from my mixer. This new script should help with that. Overall, I’m excited to dig in, and maybe a little nervous since it is so open-ended. I approached Octatrack in “bite-sized” chunks, so I think I should do that with norns. i.e. don’t try to do everything at once, just pick a few things and chip away at it; get familiar with it. One thing I noticed so far was that navigation is fairly intuitive. That was somewhat surprising, given that it only has 3 encoders and 3 buttons (keys). However, it’s kinda like an iphone, if you forgive the comparison. So far, so good. I hope the weekend affords me some free time :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’ve been making short form pieces on my Instagram for a new music project until I release some actual music (gotta generate that hype) and I made my first one with the Norns yesterday. Running my vocals into mlr into an OTO BIM. There’s also a short video in my stories of me actually playing the Norns.

1 Like

At this point, I believe it’s important to underline that I have absolutely no idea what I’m doing. But it all runs on batteries.

14 Likes

Like many of you have witnessed in this thread I ti am of the Norns looks brilliant crowd.

As a person not at all familiar with any coding. Is this even relevant for me?

I got on a Norns binge yesterday when I saw a insta clip of it running orca and I fell in love once again…

I’d say you don’t have to know how to code to use norns. There are plenty of folks out there putting new programs into the repository. Once you get used to the interface (3 encoders and 3 keys/buttons doesn’t take long), it’s pretty much like any other piece of gear.

@circuitghost - Is that fairplay? I found that one fun and intuitive, even without a grid. See below, norns into SiX with source audio collider on an FX send. I keep searching for a second-hand grid of the most recent design for a good price, but the market is somewhat empty at the moment. No rush though, I don’t really have much free time anyway.

2 Likes

This is really cool. Are there files for printing the enclosure as well?

I don’t remember :slight_smile: I spent the good evening just browsing through apps, which actually isn’t a great way to approach the Norns. Since they’re so different and don’t follow an exact, though mostly similar, interaction pattern, just firing them up for trial is a bit of a confusing experience.

Once I realised that, I settled for just Awake, which made the most sense to me. I love it. It sounds great, the sequencer is simple but original and just recording stuff to the Norns tape and then playing it back is a treat.

Now, I’m using that with Reels. Make something in Awake. Record it to Tape. Put it into Reels. Go to (tape recorder) town.

Next up, I’m just going to try and make an interesting beat with Step and then find a sequencer app that uses Molly the Polly, which is the best synth engine I’ve found within Norns so far. It does sound great, though. I love this broken character it has, I wasn’t really expecting great VA emulations here but more like a unique tone, like the OP-1, and that, it seems, the Norns engines have in spades.

1 Like

Yes - both 3d printing an enclosure for neotrellis grid as well as laser cutting one.

awesome, might take a look at building one now that I’m getting stuck into max, would be cool to properly run all the old monome programs. although I was always more fascinated by Arc - those super high res encoders and ring of lights are so very appealing!

Arc

3 Likes

Look forward to seeing how it goes. I am doing the same this year

2 Likes

I keep a blog with all my builds if you are interested…

www.batguitars.co.uk

(The modular/synth diy is in modular->diy_builds)

2 Likes