Nord Wave 2

Cuckoo mucks about with the FM synthesis part of the Wave2. Sounds only video and it’s sounding pretty good to me.

3 Likes

Yeah, me too!
I have so many patch ideas, that I could burst any minute.

If some how, after all, it would turn out, that there was a way to rub samples together, it would make me as happy as a cave man, who figured out how to make fire!

I have been anxiously digging Clavias home page for manual.

1 Like

Yeah, I enjoyed that too… great to hear someone digging into that aspect of the synth. Still remains too rich for my blood but for some it will be the business. I think the part that starts to hint at the potential is when he combines 3 layers of FM with 1 of string samples…

1 Like

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of treating one of these things as a higher-polyphony Analog Four or Digitone (minus the sequencer, of course), with more direct hands-on control for the four tracks. We’ll see once I get a chance to tinker with it in store. Definitely not particularly impressed with the demos, but I’m still super curious because people speak so highly of Nord.

3 Likes

Nord Wave 2 + Squarp Pyramid = :fire:

1 Like

You still got the pyramid ?

Yeah, I’m still using it with my Integra 7.

1 Like

Hello! does anyone know if there’s any point in getting Nord Wave 2 if I have a stage 3? Are the synth engines the same? since its the same sample library I’m wondering if they essentially make the exact same sounds. Anyone have one yet and have any words to say about it?
Thanks!

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

oops thanks for catching, I meant wave 2

1 Like

While the synth engines share some similarities in the very basic concepts (as all subtractive synths do) they are very different in their choices of oscillators, morphing, and variety and type of modulations. In addition, the Stage 3 is only bi-timbral. They do not make exactly the same sounds at all, although there is likely some overlap of sounds they can make (just like there is some overlap in a Nord and a Jupiter-8 or a Moog or hell, pick any subtractive synth). The Stage makes organ and piano/ep sounds, the Wave makes, well, wavetable sounds and has lots of performance morphing options.

Basically, you choose the wave if you would ordinarily choose a Nord Lead 4 - e.g. if the synth part is the only part you care about and you need four-part multitimbrality on a fairly powerful and good sounding mostly-subtractive-architecture synthesizer - but you want to add the wavetable oscillators and other advanced morphing features. You choose the Stage if the synth is only one part of the performance - one that can generally take a backseat to ROMpler piano and dynamically simulated organ sounds, and you only need two layers max.

If these features and how they’d be useful inspire further questions, I would suggest you take a very deep read through the manuals of both synths (and the Nord Lead 4, too) before you come back with further questions as the manuals make it very clear how each synth works and what it can offer.

3 Likes

This is a lot of good info, thank you. I see you said they have different oscillators, that is the main thing I’m looking to know more about. I had a lead 1 and 2 for a while and their basic oscillator/filter sound was unbelievably better than the synth section on the stage. The stage synth to me feels a bit lifeless which doesn’t bother me because i more wanted the organic sounds on it. If the the wave 2 has the same synth engine that’s in the stage, that would persuade me not to get it

Any new thoughts on the Wave 2? Been spending time with my wave and want to like the wave 2 but just can’t get into (don’t own it - but can’t even get into researching it that deep).

2 Likes

Mine is on order. The only keyboard synth I’ve ever owned was my ex-wife’s Yamaha MIDI piano keyboard, which doesn’t really count. This one ticks most of the boxes for me. I’ll try to report back when it comes, but I may be easily impressed by its sounds and more adequately able to report on the keyboard comparing it to the Yamaha and the two pianos we have here.

2 Likes

Getting mine tomorrow. I lusted for a Nord Lead back in my youth and the recent Cuckoo videos inspired me to try one. I am not much of a synth programmer and I think the simple layering concept suits me. Looking at the lack of content on forums and YouTube I doubt that it is a big success.

1 Like

The more I mess with my Wave (1), the more I realize I really just need to dig up an old rack mount sampler (or smarter, nearly any computer from about oh, 1999 onwards…) but we always do things the hard way, don’t we?

1 Like

I’d really like to be able to compare the synth engine - namely is it derived from the A1? Now that i have an A1 I do see that there is a little something special going on with it. Not sure what but it sounds great - and it is not the on board chorus as I assumed it would be before buying one. In fact, I’m not really a fan of the chorus on it.

related, from my wave :

Current sounds coming from your gear

You are probably right about that but hardware is just more inspiring. I make synth pop and record most of the parts by playing so I think I will enjoy the waterfall keys on the wave 2.

The concept looks like a more advanced A1 - with samples as well of course.

It’s true, and I think that’s the Nord Vibe on all their instruments.

Just sit down and play. Write a song. I miss my time with the Wave 1.
Even though the 2 has its own limitations vs the 1 (less modulation, mixing VA with samples within the patch is different), I’m sure it would still be great for production and song writing.

But for that kinda money? Hmmm, would be hard to decide between Wave 2 and other options. I admire those of you who were able to decide!