Nord Wave 2

Fairly detailed review

Even more detailed review. This ain’t the old Sound On Sound - there’s actual criticism in there. :wink:

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/clavia-nord-wave-2?page=2

6 Likes

Yea! good to see such detail in a review.
If Wave 2 had the Wave 1 depth of modulation, and a 4 note chord mode, I’d probably be rationalizing the purchase of a Wave 2. But it’s okay, not every synth is meant for me.

1 Like

My Wave arrived today. Only had an hour to play around but nice first impression. Nice build and I really like the feel of the keys.

9 Likes

I think you need just one more synth.

4 Likes

I keep telling my wife that. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ve started a thread for those with a keyboard collection.

1 Like

Any more thoughts on it?

Well, it’s a keeper. It’s significantly different from the other synths in my collection and just using the presets is inspiring (for me). Already used it in a track. Also very easy to tweak things and I like the 4 layer mix concept. The companion software also seem very good and it’s free. Quite a step up from Sequential where you have to pay silly money for a low quality third party editor. Really nice EFX as well. Good happy about the key bed.
I am sure the features will keep me occupied for a long time.

5 Likes

Mine arrived today. I’ve only had about a half hour with it, but really like it. The keybed is good, and as @jespers says, it’s got some inspiring presets. I need to spend some serious time this weekend doing some sound design with it; I’ve got things I want to try, but an a little daunted by all of the knobs.

Definitely a step up from the wretched electronic piano keyboard I had before.

4 Likes

Congratulations! Sounds like you are in for a fun weekend

Don’t be scared - just enjoy all the knobs :slight_smile:

1 Like

Been a while since I’ve seen this synth mentioned. It’s Nord-priced, performance focused (for people who know how to play keys waaaay better than me!), and does a lot of things without being particularly focused on any one thing, so I get why it isn’t a big discussion item here. I’m curious…

What are other synths that do what the Nord 2 does? I like the layers and ability to play pretty convincing piano.

For a non-pianist, would you consider it a good enough (but imperfect) platform for learning some playing technique? I feel the sound design fun factor will help motivate playing more.

What are your thoughts on using it as a master keyboard with some Elektron gear?

Thinking of trading a few things to get one, and so thought I’d ask some of the experts here!

1 Like

I’ve got a few of the Nord Leads, a Nord Electro and have owned the Wave (1, not 2) before. If you are thinking of learning playing technique, I’d strongly suggest the Electro. The 5s and 6s have very impressive sample engines and the effects are terrific. There isn’t a synth engine, but I’ve gotten pretty far out with the Nord Sample library. I got an Electro 6 73 key version for a steal.

3 Likes

I’ve got one that I’ve had to practice on since our piano lost a string (utterly bizarre, that, and scared the crap out of the cat…)

It’s serviceable, but requires more pressure to get the same dynamic range, and the keys aren’t really weighted the same. If you’re used to a good piano, you’ll definitely notice the difference. It’s certainly something you can learn on and get a good feel for playing keys, though.

One thing I like about it — as opposed to the piano — is that it fits in my office/studio, so I can just adjust the desk and start playing. That makes the keybed differences more than acceptable, because I just use it more.

2 Likes

Thank you both! Your perspectives are helpful and give me a bit to think about before making any decisions.

1 Like

I just got a Casiotone CT-S1. This $200 keyboard has inspired me to work on my keyboard playing technique more than any other keyboard. It’s because it has built-in speakers and is so light that it can be easily set up anywhere. Also, it has excellent piano and electric piano tones.

No distractions. Just turn on and play. For me, this has been working very well.

4 Likes

my review:

9 Likes

saw one for 1500 second hand… brand new. Has a lot of pros even for a digital synth. Hows the keybed for learning to play? Not attracted to an electro or stage, do need 1 synth.

The keybed isn’t weighted, but it is excellent. I bought mine in July and it is super inviting and so I have ended up practicing a ton.

It isn’t a heavyweight when comparing spec sheets, but it’s easily my favorite synth, and I’ve picked up some real piano skills because of it.

Whoa, where’d you see that? I might pick one up for that kind of price

Second hand! Seems like a good price. Summit got recommended as well, but I like nords sound