Nord Wave 2

The more I mess with my Wave (1), the more I realize I really just need to dig up an old rack mount sampler (or smarter, nearly any computer from about oh, 1999 onwardsā€¦) but we always do things the hard way, donā€™t we?

1 Like

Iā€™d really like to be able to compare the synth engine - namely is it derived from the A1? Now that i have an A1 I do see that there is a little something special going on with it. Not sure what but it sounds great - and it is not the on board chorus as I assumed it would be before buying one. In fact, Iā€™m not really a fan of the chorus on it.

related, from my wave :

Current sounds coming from your gear

You are probably right about that but hardware is just more inspiring. I make synth pop and record most of the parts by playing so I think I will enjoy the waterfall keys on the wave 2.

The concept looks like a more advanced A1 - with samples as well of course.

Itā€™s true, and I think thatā€™s the Nord Vibe on all their instruments.

Just sit down and play. Write a song. I miss my time with the Wave 1.
Even though the 2 has its own limitations vs the 1 (less modulation, mixing VA with samples within the patch is different), Iā€™m sure it would still be great for production and song writing.

But for that kinda money? Hmmm, would be hard to decide between Wave 2 and other options. I admire those of you who were able to decide!

I think you overestimate my ability of make a choice :slight_smile:

5 Likes

OK itā€™s not in the vaunted under 2500 pile that getā€™s talked about so much on the forum, but it doesnā€™t miss by much.

I think besides it being friendly to just sit down and play, it also works for performance. Itā€™s 20 pounds but thatā€™s still OK for moving around. Four layers, with analog, wavetable, FM and sampled sound together and it sounds good. Whatā€™s not to like.

I donā€™t have one but itā€™s high up on my list. I think though that it does suffer from having a lot of competition, and not having some sort of a wow factor to it.

2 Likes

MODX is better value IMHO, loads of FM-X capabilities too

Fairly detailed review

Even more detailed review. This ainā€™t the old Sound On Sound - thereā€™s actual criticism in there. :wink:

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/clavia-nord-wave-2?page=2

6 Likes

Yea! good to see such detail in a review.
If Wave 2 had the Wave 1 depth of modulation, and a 4 note chord mode, Iā€™d probably be rationalizing the purchase of a Wave 2. But itā€™s okay, not every synth is meant for me.

1 Like

My Wave arrived today. Only had an hour to play around but nice first impression. Nice build and I really like the feel of the keys.

9 Likes

I think you need just one more synth.

4 Likes

I keep telling my wife that. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Iā€™ve started a thread for those with a keyboard collection.

1 Like

Any more thoughts on it?

Well, itā€™s a keeper. Itā€™s significantly different from the other synths in my collection and just using the presets is inspiring (for me). Already used it in a track. Also very easy to tweak things and I like the 4 layer mix concept. The companion software also seem very good and itā€™s free. Quite a step up from Sequential where you have to pay silly money for a low quality third party editor. Really nice EFX as well. Good happy about the key bed.
I am sure the features will keep me occupied for a long time.

5 Likes

Mine arrived today. Iā€™ve only had about a half hour with it, but really like it. The keybed is good, and as @jespers says, itā€™s got some inspiring presets. I need to spend some serious time this weekend doing some sound design with it; Iā€™ve got things I want to try, but an a little daunted by all of the knobs.

Definitely a step up from the wretched electronic piano keyboard I had before.

4 Likes

Congratulations! Sounds like you are in for a fun weekend

Donā€™t be scared - just enjoy all the knobs :slight_smile:

1 Like

Been a while since Iā€™ve seen this synth mentioned. Itā€™s Nord-priced, performance focused (for people who know how to play keys waaaay better than me!), and does a lot of things without being particularly focused on any one thing, so I get why it isnā€™t a big discussion item here. Iā€™m curiousā€¦

What are other synths that do what the Nord 2 does? I like the layers and ability to play pretty convincing piano.

For a non-pianist, would you consider it a good enough (but imperfect) platform for learning some playing technique? I feel the sound design fun factor will help motivate playing more.

What are your thoughts on using it as a master keyboard with some Elektron gear?

Thinking of trading a few things to get one, and so thought Iā€™d ask some of the experts here!

1 Like

Iā€™ve got a few of the Nord Leads, a Nord Electro and have owned the Wave (1, not 2) before. If you are thinking of learning playing technique, Iā€™d strongly suggest the Electro. The 5s and 6s have very impressive sample engines and the effects are terrific. There isnā€™t a synth engine, but Iā€™ve gotten pretty far out with the Nord Sample library. I got an Electro 6 73 key version for a steal.

3 Likes