Nord Leads

I’d go for the 4r in your case. It does offer much more. You lose the drum mode and maybe some classic nord sound. Though I say “classic nord sound” in a rather meaningless way. I love the 2 but I really haven’t found much I couldn’t do on other synths. Perhaps other people have some idea of the “classic nord sound” that I don’t (and again, for me personally I would never be without a lead 1/2). For a €200 difference I’d get the 4. If anything pick up a used 2 (non-x) rack later on. You’ll find them very cheap sometimes.

The 48db filter on the lead 4 is great too.

4 Likes

I’m internalizing the thought of getting rid of my modular after this summer.

I’ve been really longing for a synth with a keybed, earlier I’ve been set on adding the Reface CS. But if I’m selling my modular I will get a lot of cash to purchase something else…

The Nord Lead 4 sounds amazing and has some killer features…

I already have my set up envisioned. Lead 4 on a stand, pulsar 23 on a second tier of that same stand, Octatrack on an arm right next to P23, handheld gear on the open area of Lead 4 (OP-Z or OP-1 or Tracker or Black box) the intent is to make loops on whatever sampler I feel like using and further develope them on the sampler of choice, trying to move away from one shots and develope music around loops and the deconstruction of loops.

With that said, are there any Elektronauts who’s using Nord Leads currently and how does it compare to Virus in terms of ease of use? I had a virus indigo a cpl of years ago and I found the interface to be a bit to cluttered and confusing… from the looks of it the Nords look way more straight forward…

1 Like

Can only speak for the simplified NL1 and NL2 but I absolutely love using then with Elektron gear. Easy to dial in a sound, though they’re often in the “Nord universe” and have their particular sweet-spots. Now sure how different the NL4 is for sonic plasticity.
All parameters respond to CC so great fun sequencing from an Octa or Digi etc. Interface is an absolute doddle. My only slight grip is the lack of Midi Thru, so they’re always at the end of the chain unless you have a Thru box.

Oh and the 4 parts plus dedicated outputs on the NL2 and above… Glorious!

2 Likes

…any nord lead will cover ALL the classics…and offers famous nord drums on top…
…they got digital hearts but woah, virtual analog does nowhere else catch the real thing as on the nord leads…

virus is never that raw and cutting sonic edge…
and yes, way more complex to get u anywhere…but since ur coming from the modular planet, complexity might turn u on…who knows…

but speaking of hardware quality…clavia can’t be beaten…

3 Likes

I’d say virus are a bit more raw and angry sounding. ( I’ve had virus b)
Nords are a bit more chilled ( I’ve had rack 2x , currently have micro modular and rack 4)

Virus are a bit more menu diving but there’s still a little on the lead4.

Also consider trying that emulator that has been developed and you may be able to judge virus b / c on your pc/Mac before buying.

1 Like

As far as I know the nord leads knobs don’t have a pickup-mode. So when you switch the parts you will get parameter jumps if you turn the same knob.

1 Like

I would get a Lead 1 or 2 or preferably a Nord Modular 1. The micro will suffice for mono leads. Fantastic machine!

2 Likes

Fan of the Nord Lead 3 here. More of what you could call a glassy sound than the 1 or @, but it’s my mainstay for live gigs. Dialling up interesting patches on-the-fly? Perfect interface for that.

Easier to use than Virus. Everything on the surface. Good sounding too. I have 2 and 2x and had 4. The 4 is closer than the others to Virus sound, but still preserving the Nord essence.

5 Likes

true for the 1/2/2x but the 3 had those incredible endless pots with led rings, which indicated the stored values as you changed patches and didn’t jump when you turned them. I don’t know if the later Leads ever implemented a pickup or pass through mode (hope so, it should be commonplace these days).

I want to say the modular G1 had an elegant way of doing this too. where there were led’s next to each pot that would light up when you got to the stored value, and wouldn’t change until you hit that point. I never had one though so I’m not 100% sure.

1 Like

A1 has a balance the other’s haven’t achieved, sounds great, has a unique set of powerful features, and gets out of its own way so that you can make music.

5 Likes

Nah, they light up if the pots are assigned to control something. That’s a great idea though, I kinda wish they’d implemented something like that!

1 Like

ah, gotcha. thanks for clarifying!

I just got a used Nord Rack 2X and I have a question to any users of it or any Nord Lead/Rack.

When I sweep the oscillator mix knob from hard left/right to center position it seems to weaken the signal. It looses punch and amplitude, almost like it’s out of phase. When I use oscillator sync this effect is not present.

I get that there can be some phasing when mixing two oscillators but it’s not this extreme on any my analog synths.

Is this behaviour normal? Thanks!

Do you really think it’s based on 2/2x?
Wave sounds so so different and „thin“ compared to Leads… feels like completely different engine

With an eyes closed I would probably prefer A1… such a lovely sounding synth.

I used to hear 2x back in the days on a big PA often, it mix so well with voice and acoustic instruments.

2 Likes

…yes…normal.

not only on nords…that’s physics of different waveforms blending into each other…

3 Likes

Wondering what’s the magic behind Nord’s sound?
Maybe someone knows, is it some “secret” mathematics, or special output stage / convertors?
The all sounds very special - clear, cold, razor sharp but at the same time “analog”

1 Like

I’ve heard rumor of someone working on developing a clone of the Motorola chip that was used by Nord in the 90’s. Have no idea if this has anything to do with the sound, but I think that’s what they are up to.

3 Likes