Nord Drum Love

I´m playing drums in a band and they asked me to incorporate some subbass bass drums on some songs.
I had a go with some of my eurorack drum modules with a Roland acoustic drum trigger on my kick drum but it wasn´t really the sound they where looking for and they suggested the Roland TM-2 module.
For some reason the TM-2 isn´t speaking to me and I started looking for some other alternatives.
I been trawling the web and listen to sounds of the Nord Drum and think it sounds very cool.
Any elektronauts using it? and if yes, for how are you using it. Are you using the ND, ND2 or ND3. and which Pro and Con do you think there are between the diff. versions?

cheers

Ringo

It seems there is a global consensus on sound/portability/footprint/price on the nd2. The 3 does not exist without its pads which is a curse for your wallet but a blessing since you are a drummer… :slight_smile:

I only know ND2 sounds and IMHO they are gorgeous !

1 Like

I concur with the above, and would also suggest ND1 is well worth a look, if you’re in a budget.

I play acoustic drums and use a Nord Drum 2 for digital sounds. I trigger using my SPD-SX, mapping its different pads to the ND2 using MIDI. I can play directly using the pads, or I can also play kick and snare and, using triggers, I also trigger the ND2.

Its extremely easy to map, configure sensitivity, etc. The ND2 is a total joy to play - very deep synthesis system combined with a simple user interface. The only complaint I have with it is the lack of an ON/OFF switch and not being able to name the presets, but that’s mostly it. I’m thinking about getting a second one as backup just in case. I LOVE this thing and I can’t recommend it enough.

I am using ND2 without the pads, but with a Launchcontrol XL, so I can easily have control of most parameters on each track. It is much more fun and intuitive doing this.

The sound is amazing, runs mostly through my AH which adds that little something to it, including some nice filtering.

Unique little machine!

1 Like

Thanks for your replies. ND2 seems hard to find these days, but there are some used ND(1) for sale on German sites.

No one with Roland TM-2 experience? Got a bit off it due to the energetic guy demoing it, but seems to pack a lot incl samples on SD card.

Nord Drum 1 has only mono output and no midi cc control, though.
Nord Drum 2 has stereo out and midi cc.
If that‘s important for you.

ND2 is really really hard to find these days…

1 Like

Yeah I was looking for one for ages, had WTB posts on here and muffs with no joy. But then I got an Analog 4 mk 1 and that scratched my drum sculpting itch.

You can find them almost every month or two on audiofanzine.

ND2 owner, i usually hook it up vis midi and sometimes finger drum with it. What strikes me as really cool is how the ND2 responds to velocity. You can get so many different sounds by just hitting a trig at different velocities.

I liked my Nord Drum 3P so much, I bought a second Nord Drum 3P. I play them with controllers from zendrum.com, which gives them a nice dynamic response. My controllers have 25-30 triggers each, and the six voices of one ND3P isn’t enough for live drumming, which is why I went to the twelve voices of dual ND3P’s.

I also have a nord drum 3, and I seriously enjoy the thing. I play it live and also sequence it with my digitakt – works great. I’ve never tried a v2, but having the integrated pads is super nice, and the instrument is so small and sleek, it’s not a burden to travel with.

Yes, it’s one of the first instruments I’ve had where I’ve fully appreciated the difference velocity makes to the timbre of a sound, rather than just making a sound louder or quieter etc.

2 Likes

ND2 was a big step up from ND1. The “delay” effect of the ND2 is not great. It’s more of a repeater than cuts itself off so you can’t really do “repeats on the beat.” ND3 has actual reverb although i haven’t tried the ND3.

That said, my ND2 sounds glorious. And i use it for a studio setting so i just use studio delay effects.