Nord Drum 3 & 3P

1 Like

Great find champ!
Was an insta-buy until I realised it brings nothing new to the synthesis engine apart from reverb and delay.
One could argue those features are already present on the ND2 with a little tweaking.

I’m disappointed in Nord to be honest, the NDs are the best drum synths on the planet in my opinion and it seems this release doesn’t further that. Some parameters are missing too.

Maybe they will drop some update that blows the machine right up, like turning the ND2 into a fully fledged 6 channel synth way back…

Looks like I’ll stick to my OT and ND 1+2 set-up!

Although… It’s been hard not to buy another ND1 lately so I’ll probably get a 3 in the end because I’m a Nord Drum slut and I am not ashamed to admit it!

That will bring me up to a full 16 channel Nord Drum megaplex!
She-it!

1 Like

I was going to ask about differences between the ND2 and ND3, but if the reverb and delay are really the only changes then I’ll definitely be keeping my eyes open for a ND2 as they go on clearance.

Nord Drum 2 has an “Attack section” with LFO and stuff:

Nord Drum 3 - no mention of Attack Section. Might have even taken it away.

Side note: Some people will interpret “improved output level” as “we cleaned up the sound so much that there’s less character”. “Simplified user interface” might be interpreted as “we dumbed it down by taking away editing options”.

I’ll start watching the market for price drops on the ND2 and Nord Pad.

3 Likes

The new sound bank feature is intriguing. A bit like having an A4 style patch browser vs a Monomachine style “copy sounds out of existing lot” system that the ND2 had.

Still, not as much of a leap that ND2 was from ND1. More of a product for new ND users than existing ones.
On the bright side, this will drive down ND2 used prices for the budget minded.

I’ll stick to my TM-2 for A4’s CV triggers. It already has FX.

1 Like

More differences. Less synth parameters in ND3. (WHY Nord, Why!?!?)

In the Tone section:
Dyn Timbre / Timbre is now Dyn Filter / Freq
No more Punch / Hi Decay

In the Noise section:
No more Attack/Rate or Envelope mode.

So it looks like the ND2 is like the Nord Lead 3.
Older, but a more complete synth.

2 Likes

@Adamjay Exactly, there were omissions from ND1 to ND2 which is why I need both but the ND3 strips back even further.
I’m not sure if this makes the sound synthesis exclusive or restrictive, I’ll be aaaaaaaallllllll over that manual when it drops.

Seems like the ND2 is the NL3 and the ND3 is the A1 in terms of approach for sure.
( Loosely speaking )
Simplification is great but if it’s at the expense of exploration it is a bad move.

I’m sure Nord know what they are doing but if feels like the ND3 proves the end of the road for drum synthesis in a red wedge!
No new models, waveforms or synthesis methods… Mmmmm

Still though the previous two have altered my life so I’m not complaining!

I’d take the NL3 over NL4 or A1 any day.

Can always add your own FX. But you can’t add in synth parameters that have been omitted.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

1 Like

From http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2016/04/04/messe-2016-new-version-of-nord-drum/

[ul]
[li]Stereo Output with improved output level[/li]

[/ul]

Now that is a new feature that I can definitely support. I had to run mine through a boost pedal to get a good input level in A4’s external input.

So that’s nice.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

“Simplified user interface” might be interpreted as “we dumbed it down by taking away editing options”.

“improved output level” could also be interpreted as “we cleaned up the sound so much that there’s less character”.

@Ocobus you are quite right, I have the pad for the ND2 but enjoy the fact I can just take the brain somewhere, fits just right in a combat pocket!
Don’t get me wrong the ND3P looks neat but you can’t detach it so it’s a footprint that needs dealing with. I sometimes like the ability to program the sounds as another person plays them also, bit like the SFX-6! It’s all about the synthesis! Oh yeah and the sequencing…
I truly feel the two NDs before may well have been neglected in ‘electronic’ circles, the ND2 in particular being more than capable in many ways, 101 bass? Blip blop? Boom bam spillip? Rrrrrrrrr
Best 6 x digi mono going for my needs. Kerzapp!

2 Likes

Just separate outputs would have created a sufficient gap I guess.

“improved output level” could also be interpreted as “we cleaned up the sound so much that there’s less character”.[/quote]
As long as it is at least 3dB hotter.

Really like the look of that! But like others have said, may be an idea to pick up a bargain on a ND2 + pads instead. Very tempting!

looks like retrig is gone no?
maybe replaced by the new (individual?) delay.
suppose the only good news here for me is that getting a second nd2 seems less crazy. long live the nd2

1 Like

Sweet, ND2 will be cheaper and there’s not even a GAS tradeoff for the newer model.

1 Like

All of you convinced of lower prices on ND2s, why would anyone in their right mind downgrade to an ND3 and sell their ND2?