Nord Drum 3 & 3P

Could anyone use the Nord Drum Manager on Mac?

I get the infamous error where the handshake is impossible, it doesn’t detect the device. Any workaround to upload presets?

Nord really did not take care of that device, it is terrible, doesn’t make me wanna trust the brand with the support for keyboards.

1 Like

I couldnt get it to work when using the DT as the midi hub, but it did connect to a very old midisport usb hub (using a driver I found on GitHub)

I found the solution. So if you’re on Mac with the same issue:

Open Audio & MIDI setup > double click on IAC Driver and make sure to tick the option The device is connected.
After you close that option window, the box IAC Driver will be On (Red colour) and the handshake will work.

3 Likes

First try with the Nord Drum 3p, sequenced by Digitakt. 5 Tracks used, sounds either from scratch or heavily altered

16 Likes

Sweet stuff! Are you doing open and closed hats based on velocity input for each note?
I wish I could find an easier or more elegant way to sequence hats from my Octatrack in chromatic mode, which is usually how I would live record drum patterns. I don’t want to waste a whole extra pad/voice just for this … but holy shit if I could find a decently priced ND3 for a dual setup that would be nuts!

1 Like

The Blokas Midihub has an amazing new update (Blokas Midihub - #383 by Karhide) that comes with a chord mode for the note dispatcher. I tried to use the old dispatcher to set the six notes of the six Nord Drum 3P pads in one go from a keyboard but it was quite tricky. The new mode is perfect for this and I can imagine many Nord Drum 3P users (that actually play the pads) finding it handy.

Sadly not having four arms yet, this isn’t that useful in a live situation, but for quickly setting the six pads to specific notes it’s perfect. For a live situation I think I’d take these chords and assign them to a midi footswitch each. But this will be great for working out what those chords should be etc.

Literally just installed the midihub beta firmware and knocked this out so nothing musical but here’s some live switching to show it works. The pauses and bad drum playing are due to me not having enough hands.

Midihub setup is a dispatcher set to chord ascending mode and dispatching to channels 1-6, then a transform to transform those note messages to cc 31 (with the value set to the note number) and then a filter to filter out the note message itself.

I’m sure someone with greater skills than me can make some great use for this.

5 Likes

Will leave you all alone soon but after another few hours with the new midihub dispatcher and the Nord Drum 3P I worked out that the above is in fact suited to non live playing in a different way that might be more usable for most of you. If you sequence the six pads of the Nord Drum 3P (ignoring note pitch values for now) on six midi tracks of the Digitakt and leave another track going into the Midihub dispatcher which goes to the Nord Drum 3P also (as in the post above triggering the pitch values) you can use it like a sequenced arpeggiator with each chord going into the dispatcher triggering a chord that gets split between tracks 1-6.

This can lead to pretty standard arpeggiator stuff like the following (sorry about the boring kick clap samples, I just put a beat in so you folks would like me more, everything else is just the unprocessed Nord Drum 3P on a slightly modified preset):

Or if you change chords a lot you can have odd pitch-bendy bell solos like this that someone with talent could do well with:

The annoying thing is recording the playing of the Nord Drum into the Digitakt due to the single channel used on the Nord Drum output (rather than the individual channels on the input). If Nord ever issued new firmware and had this as an option it’d be wonderful but I doubt they will as they’re not at the Elektron standard of updating things.

2 Likes

I did not understand the technical parts of your post or what the Midi Hub is supposed to do exactly but one thing is clear: people at Clavia even forgot they did the Nord Drum, as if it was a huge mistake they prefer to disregard without assuming they commit the sin.

I’m not in the camp of “they owe us upgrade!” but at this point… Ignoring plainly and simply a promising product like that is quite a shame IMO.

Well done though for whatever you proposed yourself to do :wink:

Do they have the reputation of occasionally updating their other previous products, like Elektron?

Their last update for the ND3P was 7 years ago so doesn’t look like it

2 Likes

Happy to explain with more clarity if needed. Might message the setup to some of the Nord Drum YouTubers as they’ll be better at showing it off.

There’s almost nothing about the 3P that needs an update. It’s pretty much perfect. If there were some major issues they’d be more likely to fix it but I know of none.

Also, on the point of them forgetting about it, they’ve done videos about it recently and it was a flagship product at the Nord stand at Gearfest this year where someone showed me it beautifully and won me over to buying one.

just a proof that although note length is not interpreted, one can sequence velocity zero on “trigless” notes and mute the sound, thus having note lengths :wink:

9 Likes

You know, it’d be enough just to explain it, but noooooo! You always have to drop fkin hard bangin hot shit beat in your posts!

:grin::+1:

2 Likes

some sounds and a beat, this time sequenced with the oxi one.

13 Likes

Curious, do you place the Oxi on top of the drum pads using them as a gear coaster.

Cool! Reminds me a little bit of something from shaking the habitual by the knife

So snappy and airy, beat sounds great Jeanne. I’m afraid I want one again - not good

1 Like

both oxi and hapax are wider than the nord drum, so no :wink: also, I rather play the pads once in a while at least :wink:

2 Likes

i bought one of these thinking i just wanted a drum pad with amazing sound design.

dude - i didn’t realize this thing can also play the role of a 6 part multitimbral digital synth. like, seriously. running midi out of Akai Force and sequencing each voice separately just totally opened 3P up for me. how many multitimbral hardware synths are there? yeah - not nearly enough. this is a potentially killer feature actually that is never discussed. outputs/fx are limited but still, this seems like the proper way to use 3p.

force/ 3p jam

12 Likes

That’s why some ND3/Digitakt users like me don’t even consider a Syntakt.

3 Likes