Nord Drum 2 - Hesitation

I was about to write a new message. Yeah it seems to be a noise, you can achieve that kind of results with FM8.
i think that there is a a feedback of something routed like the “in” function on FM8 when it is processed as an effect.

This is killer stuff indeed. I guess the ND2 can get you in this territory soundwise.

1 Like

Oh wait, it could also be a 1/64 loop pitched (and random lfo on it) on a small white noise decay with the add of a huuuge resonnance on a highpass filter.

Some Ae vibes…

1 Like

I had the Nord Drum 2 and a Monomachine at one point, could never figure out how to control it through MIDI - I could figure out how to trigger it on the pads but never how to play it as from the sequence. Could that be done? Am I just too lazy or ignorant of MIDI? Ended up sending through different outputs and triggering through the trigger inputs but this was too much time and too many cables :frowning:

Huh, I heard it was easy to set up using the monomachine’s 6 MIDI tracks…?

Some quick Autechre vibes on the monomachine and Nord Drum rack 2 - (and recorded in the OT. It explains the duration)

https://www.elektronauts.com:/uploads/default/original/3X/c/0/c003e307c6e15771a899310e3fad979c1c6720c5.mp3

4 Likes

Yeah! Wynd that sounds amazing!! Is there a guide somewhere for MIDI-illiterates like myself? I am always reading the device specifics but I always seem to have problems triggering things - globally, not just with Elektron devices.

Thanks!
I kept the default settings on the ND2 and on the octatrack just made a midi channel for each channel of the ND2.
CH1 OT = CH1 ND2
CH2 OT = CH2 ND2

And so on. Nothing really complicated ! Then, I sampled the audio from the midi-controlled rythm pattern, made slices of each kit and used the retrigger function :slight_smile:

Same process here with different drums (and the addition of Midi-CC) and a sample extracted from an Ableton creation. Here is my first attempts on the ND2 i bought this week! :slight_smile:

https://www.elektronauts.com:/uploads/default/original/3X/5/4/547ccd76ecae1a3cf694b8c95bb38b21fe93d8c9.mp3

6 Likes

I see!! Thanks for the info, I will refer back to this. Have owned two monomachines and an elektron keys in the past, planning on getting either a Machinedrum or an OT.

Man the OT is nuts. I Discover new things everyday!

3 Likes

I wanted the Nord drum for a long time, as I’m also a big Ae fan and I know for a long period they did the drums on a Nord Rack 1… As I decided too buy one I saw cheap Rytm on Ebay and bought it. But the guy never sent it to me. Damn, wish I just had bought the Nord instead…
Nice demos. It’s certainly a great combo.

Nice use of ND2 and OT.
Try also to play it with a piezo mic connected to the jack input.
You can generate sound by scratching the mic on a table or similar way.

2 Likes

Yeah @Lapse just reminded me, plug in mono cables to the triggers and use the other ends as mini drum sticks on your bare skin!
Fun and games hah!

1 Like

Super interested in this MNM as drum synth idea. You got any tracks?

I had the sf6 years ago and found it more useful as a drum synth than a synth straight out.
Obviously I got deeper into it but the MNM is more than capable and if you intend to sample you get even more.

So, er, that’s a yes from me…

1 Like

this is the only one I have online right now.

https://soundcloud.com/kirlian/dirty-itchy-monomachine-1

the FM machines are always my first stop for drum sounds, but using the arp with some extreme neighbor fx on the bbox is also really rewarding. as Baddcr said, any synth will do. the difference with the MnM is the wild variety and movements you can get when the voices are coupled with the p-locks and seq.

7 Likes

yes

So most people are using the Nord with a sequencer? I have lots of fun with the pads and sticks… :smiley:

I think that depends on why exactly you think it sounds better.

If I were to hazard a guess, I would imagine it’s probably due to the changes from velocity from sending triggers, leading to a more dynamic performance. How are you triggering the ND2 from your modular?