Nord Drum 2 - Hesitation

Yes I’m very impressed by this little box. Give me a lot of inspiration and pleasure. Great sound, very versatile and easy to use. I like the perc/drum synthetisis but was a bit frustrated by MD sound and impossibility to play (easily) in chromatic mode. And I found Analog Rytm and Tempest too expensive. As I own an A4 and OT too, I have all I need.

Very very happy to bought it.

Me too! Version 3.00 is sounding really nice, ringmod is cool.

RRRRRrrrrr… I cannot change ND2 Banks with OT (program changes work well) due to the OT limitation in controlling machines which need LSB and MSB value:

“Bank Select, Tone Pitch and Echo BPM have settings in the Nord Drum 2 that requires a pair of LSB and MSB values (Least Significant - and Most Significant Byte) to be acknowledged. Transmit the LSB value first, then the MSB value.”

This post on Elektronauts mentions it but it seems that there is no perfect solution http://www.elektronauts.com/t/midi-bank-change/1545/55167

1 Like

As ND2 only have 8 banks for now, is it usefull to have LSB/MSB for bank selection ?
LSB/MSB means that we should be able to select ((128x128) + 128) = 16512 banks if I’m not wrong !!!

Is an update planned to permit having 825 600 kits in ND2 (16512 banks x 50 programs) ?
I’d prefer an update of the ND2 to select banks from MSB (CC0) only and extend Banks size to 128 programs which would permit to have 128 banks x 128 programs = 16384 kits.

It seems enough and will permit bank change with OT

Continuing to explore and build kits on the ND2.

Here’s a demo of some recent kits, recorded live in one take, played on the Nord Pad. No click was used, nor was it edited, so it’s not polished by any means. Rolled it off at 40hz and added a touch of reverb.

1 Like

Very good polyslax.

(Again) i’m studying the acquisition of a Monomachine which, with its 6 channels midi sequencer seems to be made to sequence the Nord Drum 2 :wink:

1 Like

Wow, loving the FM sounds. Good work.

great work polyslax!

Cheers folks - love this little red box! :+1:

Hi All,

I’m new here. I’ve been following this thread for a while now in hopes of getting closer to understanding which setup might be best for me.

A bit of background:
I’m trying to develop a live-looping setup with some serious muscle. I’m frustrated by live looping techniques that don’t allow some creative part-juggling, true compositional possibilities and sound mangling, as I am by using computers (I sit in front of one all day working for a music software company). I also want to keep things compact: my guitar and pedals, my voice, and some form of percussion generator (with serious low end) and a looper. Naturally (at least to us here), this means at least one Elektron box is in my future.

My question:

I’ve been looking at either an Octatrack plus Nord Drum 2 setup, or an Analog Rhythm with drum triggers. I come from a rock background and want to really play percussion as I would have back when I played drums … with stick, not fingers. As far as I can tell there are advantages to both setups.

OT + ND2:
I get an INSANE looper device (for the ND2 parts at the very least and to post process guitar loops) that will also hold backing tracks or field recordings, a sequencer that will keep my (dedicated) guitar looper sync’d, an amazing sound mangler, a hardware sequencer for the ND2 that will allow me to work with MIDI as well as audio, and probably more that I’m overlooking

AR:
I get an INSANE drum machine that I can also load (smaller) samples and field recordings into, still get a sequencer that will keep my (dedicated) guitar looper sync’d, and a sound mangler for the pre-loaded samples, I can ALSO use the AR’s pads for times when I might not be able to grab a drum stick, etc., and probably more that I’m overlooking. Assuming I can connect V-drum or similar triggers, there’s not much difference from the OT + ND2 setup in regard to playability of drum sounds.

Does anyone see any glaring reasons to choose one setup over the other that I don’t? Intuition tells me that for someone focusing mostly on capturing performances created in the moment, the OT + ND2 setup seems to be a better fit, but I can really be sure (and don’t have the time or cash to put both setups through their paces).

Terribly sorry for the long post. I can’t promise they’ll get any shorter.

Thanks for your time and any help!

Owning OT, Nd2 and AR, i can say i was quite happy with the OT&nd2 combo. (Midi from OT, audio from nd2 to OT)
When i got the AR, it was very interesting and luxurious at first, but meanwhile the nd2 is back in service for certain sounds you cannot make with the AR. Also, i was not interested in the ARs sampling cap at all so far, coming from the OT. Nd2 synthesis is definitely more flexible than the AR, if not as immediate.

Dear Elektronauts,

i’m interesting too what will be the better choice.

I’m thinking in moment to buy AR or maybe a Nord Drum 2.

I have an OT, so this can be really good combo.

I do more or less techno and the question for me is has the Nord Drum 2 enough pressure under the hood?
I here the AR at Music Store and i must admit it do a big bumm chacha chacha bumm, very impressive.

What are your experience since two of what i read have both.

Thank you for an answer.

All the best,

waldemaR

I love the OT / ND2 combo. I made a template that allows me to control each voice of the ND2 from the OT, i just switch to the midi track i need and work from there, with the right pitch to work on.

I also use the ND2 as a synth, it has 6 voices under its belt, and can do HEAVY bass lines. I find myself the ND2 sounding HUGE and so many sounds to discover to feed the OT.

Dear Shoki,
thank you for coming back.
Make the template the work easier, i mean to control the ND2 so far i can saw it is not a big deal.
A lot of people feed something into the OT.
Of scouser i would my OT with the x0xbox and IPad but would like to send the Audio directly to my souncard.
But maybe i miss something. I can feet the OT only then with one signal from the ND2 because i have then only one input ?
But can you say something regarding style. There not so much outside that i hear or saw an example that people use the ND2 for Techno Sound.

All the best,

waldemaR

Dear Shoki,
thank you for coming back.
Make the template the work easier, i mean to control the ND2 so far i can saw it is not a big deal.
A lot of people feed something into the OT.
Of scouser i would my OT with the x0xbox and IPad but would like to send the Audio directly to my souncard.
But maybe i miss something. I can feet the OT only then with one signal from the ND2 because i have then only one input ?
But can you say something regarding style. There not so much outside that i hear or saw an example that people use the ND2 for Techno Sound.

All the best,

waldemaR
[/quote]
You can use anything for Techno. That is the essence of Techno. Specially an FM drum synth…
Some of the best techno is written on cheap hardware.

Tip of the day!

Skinnerbox Time

If you are using Ableton Live, a would recommend checkin out Skinnerbox Time & Timbre together with the ND2. Specially if you are using Ableton Push. I bought it last week and it works great together with the Nord Drum. It´s much more flexible than the Nord Beat App. Could only wish that Clavia implemented all the goodies into their app.

[ltr]https://www.ableton.com/en/blog/skinner … me-timbre/[/ltr]

[ltr]
[/ltr]

Maybe this could be useful: I’ve had the nd2 and OT combo for a while, and here’s the first finished track. Nd2 does all the drums, save one ride sound (I tried to approximate something 808ish). But it also does the bassline, and I’m very impressed with those capabilities so far.

Sorry for being a bit spammy, but the track actually applies pretty well… :-o

2 Likes

Dear Elektronauts,

please let me know how you trigger the ND2 with OT?
Do you need each Midi Channel per Voice.
Sorry it is not clear for me.

@clickclack777
It looks nice but i will away from Computer.

All teh best,

waldemaR

Pretty simple.

You can either trigger all 6 ND2 tracks using one midi channels and notes CDEFGA by default.

Or, you can set up a separate MIDI channel for each track, which allows for pitched sequencing, and also the use of CC controllers (for example, to control the decay of the hihat track, or something like that).

So what I have set up:

Midi tracks 1 & 2 on the OT: Channel 10 (control all ND2 tracks)

Midi tracks 3,4,5,6,7,8: Channels 11,12,13,14,15,16, respectively. These are the tracks that do the pitched/CC control.

Hope I managed to explain it well enough.

1 Like