Nord Drum 2 - Hesitation

Yeah for recording midi from the pads I´d say this won’t really work the way you want. The OT midi sequencer has some serious quirks with how it records incoming midi. however you’d probably have great results 1. by just recording audio from the ND of you banging on the pads and 2. sequencing the ND from the OT. You can spread it over several midi tracks and use the arp for rolls etc. plocks and lfos work great. I don’t have a ND2 but several people do, maybe they can provide more info.

1 Like

Thanks for your thoughts, I can see myself getting lost down the rabbit hole with the OT sequencer for sure, P-locks and midi LFOs on stuff like tone decay and spectra, and the arp seems to be pretty powerful from what little I know… Half the beauty of the ND2 is the Pad though - but yes, recording/looping audio of Pad performances might be enough, could be a potentially useful limitation…

On a side note, damn I wish the OT had the DT’s reverb…

sorry if this was answered already, but can you change preset programs (banks) of the ND2 via midi cc? In the manual, CC 0 is listed for Banks. It didn’t work from the OT, although other CCs were working.

Reviving this puppy rather than start a new thread.

I successfully modified an Ethernet cable to sequence the Nord Drum 2 from Eurorack. It was really easy. So now I can sequence it from the Turing Machine and O&C modules. I’m using the Folktek Matter Pebbles card to act as an interface between the different cable formats. Testing the pin-out was just trial and error and didn’t take long. You don’t seem to need to connect the ground even.

8 Likes

You Hero!

1 Like

Oh that is awesome to hear people are doing cool things with this beauty of a synth the world over - just came from an hour long session playing with mine with the Nord Pad through some effects, sampling and resampling into Beatmaker - love it

2 Likes

…already discussed@
http://www.norduserforum.com/nord-drum-forum-f27/nord-pad-connector-pin-out-t8639-12.html

…thinking reverse, i somehow like the idea of triggering my Techstar with the NordPad

2 Likes

Does somebody know some good sound packs for the ND2?
It’s great for creating your own drum sounds, but a nice pallet of sounds would be nice to have.
There are some on Nord website, maybe you know other sources?

Did you download all the sound packs on the ND2 on the website. Seems like a lot to work with

2 Likes

You need a randomiser if you feel you have hit the limits.
Mix’n’match is key with the factory/web banks. There are some great sounds in some of the kits but you have to put the time in to cleave what you want.

I find the Nord Drums are best when working on a track, you can really tune and tailor those sounds to what you need, maybe check the Nord Forum, I think there are some kits floating about, but honestly these machines can be manipulated so efficiently why not go for it and create a load of sounds yourself champ?

Anyways, time on an ND is time well spent!

3 Likes

Yeah. I downloaded all of the kits and start with a kick that works. Then I scroll up and down the neighborhood and cut and paste sounds I like into the working kit. Then tune and make mute groups.
I’ve also been inspired to make tracks based around some of the FM kits which sound just so good.
I’ve also built sample kits out of it by just retriggering the same sound over and over while turning knobs and recording.
Love that thing even still.

3 Likes

thanks for your answers :slight_smile: I will build my own sounds, no worries.
there are very nice sounds on the nord website. Just wanted to ask if you know other sources. Maybe I miss some sound packs to have :wink: anyway. I will spend a lot of time on this thing cause it’s top notch gear

1 Like

Good news :wink:

4 Likes

Stupid question, how do you cut and paste sounds from one kit to another…?

shift spectra
go to the right slot and program
shift dyn timb

3 Likes

Thanks!

1 Like

ah yes, i was able to score one from a used gear group on fb.

time to program me some kits :slight_smile:

1 Like

Did you get the pad with it too or just the module?

got both, but just wanted the module. reading about the pad, it seems to be a worthwhile addition. contemplating selling it.

suggestions? keep/sell?

Keep. I was just jamming with mine last night. I think hitting the big pads with sticks is inspirational for programming ideas. Also I midi out into my interface to control my abbey road drum kits and also battery 4. I still need to make round robin kits in battery of my drum hits I’ll use.

2 Likes