Noob questions

There is neither a puzzle, nor are you doing something wrong. It’s just a matter of different octave naming schemes.

On the OT the lowest MIDI note (value=0) is named C-1. On the Digitone it is named (obviously) C0.

When you want to add to your confusion use Ableton Live, too, which starts with C-2 … :wink:

4 Likes

Scenes are actually stored in the part. If you switched patterns and the scenes are different you either went to a different bank which will use a different part as each bank can only use it’s own 4 parts or you switched to another pattern in the same bank in which case you must have linked another part to that pattern at some point.

If it was the latter and you’ve been in the same bank, you can link your pattern without the scenes back to the part they are in to get them back and it will also then use the same track machines, fx, midi settings, and recorder setups. If you did switch banks and want that stuff there you can copy the part with the data and paste it onto the one in the different bank…

4 Likes

Waahhhh! That was so annoying, thx mate
Not easy to find!

1 Like

It’s the latter. How do I tell certain parts to be assigned to certain patterns?

Thanks btw :slight_smile:

The main screen (not in a menu or setup page) always says what part your using in the lower left grey area.

Function+MIDI opens the part select menu where you’ll see the 4 parts that belong to the bank, the one linked to the current pattern will be grey. Use the arrows to move to another part and then press yes to link it, you probably want to link back to part one to get your scenes and machines and stuff you’ve been using, although since you’ve opened this door you might as well explore using other parts… Pressing function+bank while in part select will open a menu where you can name the part and also save it which is super useful for making changes and then reloading the part back to the saved state. If you save the part you can go nuts jamming and tweaking parameters and then use function+cue to reload back to your saved state while playing…

2 Likes

If you want you can also in the part select menu hover over part one and use the standard copy command and then hover over part two (or any other) and paste it. That way you can use part 1 as a starting point for part 2 and then modify from there. You can also copy and paste to parts in other banks…

1 Like

Somebody said the answer here someday but i could not find it…

Octa can’t change the bank on my Ob6 / Rev2 ; it change the prog, but no matter what Bank i select on SRC > PROG, it won’t change…

So how can the Octa change the bank on Sequential synths ?

Thanks ! :smiley:

You will need to use the CC 32 workaround. See this topic for details:

2 Likes

A big part of a live improvisation is to mute / unmute tracks, but sometimes i want to to this exactly in the beginning of the next pattern cycle.

Is there a way to ‘arm’ a track to Mute or Unmute and apply the change only in the next pattern ?

Arranger will do this perfectly in time.
Jump into Arranger, set mutes and wait until they’re executed, then jump out of the Arranger is probaply not what you had in mind, though I guess^^

Actually I tried several methods myself during the past year, but I’m back to using mute mode and just hitting the buttons in the right moment.

At first it felt a little weird to use mute mode and I wasn’t always sure I actually was in mute mode.
The red leds for the eight audio tracks look like you have set eight trigs on a track^^so I started to always have some yellow leds on from the midi tracks.
And after some time it felt normal being in mute mode. Dunno…it’s just something about switching modes, you’re so getting used to the mode you usually use, even to the point it felt weird switching to another…
At least I felt that way.

Since OT’s track mutes cut audio and fx trails off, though, I tried to use amp vol for muting tracks.
With a midi controller that lets you toggle between 0 and -64 you can still have buttons to mute tracks.
I used my old Behringer BCR2000, so I had 16 buttons with leds. I configured the upper eight buttons to mute audio tracks by toggling amp volume, the lower eight buttons were used to trigger samples on the audio tracks.

It worked really really well, but I couldn’t use amp volume for gain staging and I couldn’t p-lock amp volume, so I went back to mute mode on the OT.

I recorded many tracks live (Just OT main and cue out + AK main out) during the last year or so, must be more than 16 tracks actually and I guess I learned to hit the buttons on time^^

I use OT mainly for drums and thru machines, so muting tracks with OTs mute mode works well.
I can imagine it might be more difficult if one uses loops, though.

2 Likes

Not with Arranger mutes. :content:

1 Like

If you need CC0 and CC32 :
Set your Prog Change
Place a trig with CC1=CC0 and CC2=CC32
Set bank values
Microtiming = - 5/384
Done

Don’t use CC0 if you need CC32 only.

3 Likes

Another snippet of OT enlightenment and one more reason to use the Arranger (at least as temporary tool) … :smiley:

3 Likes

You can use Arranger mutes live on 1 pattern, cool for dubby stuff with long tails, but it is not practical if you want to tweak other parameters.

It’s newbie tiiiiime!

1/ what’s a practical way to a/b a sample before and after fx? For now, I use a part with all samples unaffected, and one part to test different fx settings, then swap them to a/b… but I feel there’s a simpler way…

2/ How do I copy / clear / paste a sample slot in the flex and static list? Couldn’t find it in the manual…

3/ Let’s say I have tweaked and fx’d a breakbeat on track 1. I now want to resample it on recorder 2. How come I always end up with a super quiet sample? If I understand well, track level has no effect if I choose T1 as my sampling source… but has an effect if I choose Main as my source. Right? Anyway, I always end up with a super quiet sample which is annoying when switching from T1 to T2…

4/ When using the filter, how can I approximate an adsr env? Or at least the sustain portion…

Thanks guys!

1 Like
  1. There is an option in Personalize menu to preview samples without fx.
    Scenes can be used too. A scene without fx send, mix 0, for example. You can mute scene.
    A part you copied with no fx eventually

2. Double click on Track button, copy sample slots in its list with Fn + Copy etc.

3. VOL is maybe too low. Increase it. Level don’t change SRC3 T1-T8 recording level.
    IIRC VOL+63 with LEVEL 64 equals VOL 0 with LEVEL 127.

4. No sustain. Just Hold, value in steps.
    You can set an ADSR with lfo with ONE and lfo designer waveform.

2 Likes

Thanks @sezare56! Will try all of this tomorrow night!

1 Like

I use a midi controller (Roland A88) to record notes on the Octa’s sequencer. I’ve noticed that often the Octa’s sequencer ‘loose’ notes when i record it on real time ; often a chord with 4 notes is recorded with only 1 note on the Octa’s, for instance, and i need to correct the steps manually.

Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this ? The controller is plugged direclty on the Octa’s Midi In.

The OT is a step sequencer and each note of a chord has to be registered within the time window for its intended step, so you will often encounter this if you play broken (slightly arpeggiated) chords.

4 Likes

Thanks for clarifying the reason. Because i’m a piano player, i tend to record the chords live, but i’m changing this to a step-based procedure, holding each step and recording the chord instead.