Noob questions

#2 YES
-Elektron Analog Rytm 8 Voice Drum Computer has 128 kits

You can absolutely have different kits in the same bank, in fact since there are 128 kits and 128 patterns you can have a different kit for every pattern on the AR… On AR you can link any of the 128 kits to any of the 128 patterns. Patterns can have their own kit or you can choose to use the same kit for multiple patterns which is what you’ve been experiencing…

4 Likes

Most of its there in the manual. Or if not, you can just run a little experiment and figure out for yourself (like the confusion with parts). This thread is kinda cute though, and I liked reading through all the “noob questions”. It’s like a supplement to the manual

3 Likes

Looks a bit like private lessons indeed. In real life that would cost a fortune. There are some REALLY REALLY patient and helpful forum members here…

5 Likes

@disco is very rich! :smile:

2 Likes
2 Likes

It’s a fact that probably many things i ask are in the manual and it’s true i should read the manual before ask. But even when the answer is in the manual, usually the answer someone gives me here is way better.

I apologize if somebody gets pissed about my ‘noob questions’ but i’m sure this topic will help other people. The Octa is a very complex (and powerful) machine ; first i had a love-hate relationship with mine and i even tried to sell it. Thanks to people so kind and helpful like the ones in this forum i kept my Octa and now i really love it ! <3

Thank you very much guys, you rock ! :smiley:

PS : new questions coming soon :stuck_out_tongue:

7 Likes

As a fellow noob, I find this thread to be completely helpful and informative, so thanks to all.

7 Likes

Still closed… we’re long into March now!

About browsing the manual, here’s a tip that I find quite handy. I read my .pdf files in my browser instead of Adobe’s reader. When the manual references a page in text, it is always a hyperlink. When you hover over the link it’ll light up and clicking on it will bring you to the right page. The whole index is on the left, all the indexes are links too. What I do is when I need to reference often to a specific page, I right-click (Windows) and save the link as a bookmark in a folder I created in the toolbar of my browser (Firefox in my case) and give it an appropriate name (like “memory management”). Or just drag 'n drop the tab into the bookmark folder. Now if I want to check something about memory allocation, I just open that bookmark. It’ll open the manual exactly at the page I needed to check.

Now I have a shortlist of direct-access links to items I tend to forget and need to check often.

Pretty basic browsing stuff, but one tends to forget that such easy procedures exist!

6 Likes

The endless stream of Q&A is great. I appreciate the questions and watching and reading about your progress. The questions you’ve asked are clearly written and they’ll come up in google searches in the future. The answers help other people out too!

If someone else has a problem with people helping each other out (I’m lookin’ at you @tnussb et al) they should maybe just read a different thread :slight_smile:

<3 as usual x

3 Likes

Thank $deity not everyone treats everything like a capitalist transaction :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I just like to help people if I can, it makes me feel good, it makes them feel good, and just feels like the right thing to do. It’s not like I’m expecting something from posting on a synth forum… I don’t have to try to answer questions, I choose to because I like to and want to… :heart_eyes:

This is real life, and it’s free!
Next noob question please… :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Yeah it’s been a while!

1 Like

I might as well ask one instead of making a thread

If you don’t save a project before changing a project, is all that data lost?

2 Likes

Nope. For each project, there are .work files on the card. They are auto saved.
When you use SAVE function , it creates .strd files, a copy of .work files, and these files can be reloaded with the RELOAD function.

After SAVE or RELOAD, .work files and .strd files are identical. If you change settings, it modifies .work files.

6 Likes

To add to that when you load a project it loads the autosaved active state of the project. That is how you left the project the last time you were on it. If you want to get to the saved version (can look at as a restore point) you load the project which loads to the autosaved state as you left it, and then do a reload project if you want to load the saved state.

When you save project the saved state becomes a copy of the active state until you make changes.

Theoretically you never have to save a project because of the active state, save project is like a restore point to get back to if you make changes you don’t like.

4 Likes

Any way to more quickly do sample locking? Cause if I have like 50 samples loaded in my slots it can take a while to scroll to the one I want. My process has been

Find the sample I want beforehand, remember the number.
Go to the trig where I want it locked, then lock it (which takes a little while cause you can’t fast scroll and it ALWAYS starts at 1!)
If I want that same lock, copy and paste
If I want a different lock, repeat this process and become mildly agitated that it seems slow and arduous when everything else on the OT is fast and graceful (when you know what you’re doing)

MkI or MkII? On my MKII scrolling is lightning fast (3/4 of a turn scrolls the whole 127 slot list)

I knew there was something I was missing… I was using the up and down arrows, not the level knob. And of course pressing func+up and down (which makes you scroll fast in menus) changes the playing mode so it doesn’t work there.

I do like the workflow of keeping my right hand on the arrows, since I need to press a down arrow to initiate the function of sample locking anyway.

1 Like

Also, you can live record sample locks using slots mode, perhaps with quantized live record activated…

2 Likes