Noob question

What are the differences between trigless locks and trigless trigs?

Page 80 of the manual gives a description but i am not sure i understand it because when i tried it, i was able to set effect locks on both types (trigless lock and trigless trig).

Trigless locks do not trig machines, LFOs or FX envelopes. Enter them by pressing [FUNCTION] + [TRIG].

This description implies that trigless locks do not have a function, i’m confused! :thinking:

Trigless locks
A new trig type is available; the trigless lock. This trig type is very useful for parameter automation. Unlike the normal trig and the trigless trig, the trigless lock does not trig LFO- or FX-envelopes, regardless of the settings in AMP Setup page. It also does not reset unlocked parameters to their default values. Therefore, you can place trigless locks between normal trigs without worrying about unlocking any parameters that are locked on the normal trigs.
It is not possible to slide parameters across trigless locks without locking the slid parameters also on the trigless lock. For example, if you slide the pitch of a sample between two trigs and want to automate the
filter cutoff between these trigs by utilizing trigless locks, you need to lock the pitch changes also on the trigless locks in order to get the slide effect.
Trigless locks are shown as a dimmed green color in the grid edit mode.
An already existing trigless trig can be changed to a trigless lock by pressing [GRID]+[EXIT/NO]. Similarly, a normal trig can also be changed to a trigless trig using the same key combination.
To change a trigless lock to a trigless trig, use [GRID]+[ENTER/YES]. Note that it is not possible to change a trigless trig to a normal trig this way. To do this, just press the [GRID] key to enable the trig attribute.
When live recording parameter automation in the sequencer, trigless locks will now be placed instead of trigless trigs. Similarly, when using [FUNCTION]+[GRID] in grid edit mode, trigless locks will be placed instead of trigless trigs. Use the [ENTER/YES] key to upgrade any trigless locks to trigless trigs whenever you want to retrig LFOs or FX-envelopes.

…all been said…

To put it simply,

sample trigs (red LED) play samples, and allow any lockable parameter to be locked;

trigless trigs (green LED) do not play samples, but allow any lockable parameter to be locked;

trigless locks (dim green LED) do not play samples or start LFOs or effects (filter/AM) envelopes, but allow any other lockable parameter to be locked.

I also didn’t understand the manual on this so have ignored this function so far. Sorry to be slow, but afraid I still don’t understand despite the trouble you’ve taken to explain:( Appreciated nonetheless :+1:

1 Like

Clear as mud, huh…?

trigless locks are used when you want to p-lock a parameter, but you dont want it to trigger samples, lfo’s, or envelopes.

It’ll make since when you need it to.

I’ll put it another way:

sample trigs (red LED) start samples, and allow sound parameters to be locked to specific values on the step;

trigless trigs (green LED) can start LFOs and filter/AM envelopes, and allow sound parameters to be locked to specific values on the step;

trigless locks (dim green LED) allow sound parameters to be locked to specific values on the step.

3 Likes

Thanks Peter, that helps.

1 Like

Thanks for all the info guys! I’m still just scratching the surface with the Octatrack :slight_smile:

1 Like

OK I understand your description now. And I’ve actually done stuff with this in patterns I realise! But I don’t get the use of trigless locks if trigless trigs will do the same and more.
Appreciate your patience!

1 Like

[quote="“seenfromspace”"]

OK I understand your description now. And I’ve actually done stuff with this in patterns I realise! But I don’t get the use of trigless locks if trigless trigs will do the same and more.
Appreciate your patience! [/quote]
I was a bit puzzled at first. But I think I have got it.
Say you make a long pad or drone sound on trig 1 that lasts for a full bar.
You have a free running LFO that starts on trig 1 spanning the whole bar also.
Trigless locks would allow you to record Automation (filter sweeps etc.) Throughout the bar without re triggering the LFO.
So trigless trigs record parameters and LFO/AM triggers.
Trigless locks just record parameters.
Thanks for the description PeterHanes. Have I got this right?

1 Like

Appreciate your patience! [/quote]
I was a bit puzzled at first. But I think I have got it.
Say you make a long pad or drone sound on trig 1 that lasts for a full bar.
You have a free running LFO that starts on trig 1 spanning the whole bar also.
Trigless locks would allow you to record Automation (filter sweeps etc.) Throughout the bar without re triggering the LFO.
So trigless trigs record parameters and LFO/AM triggers.
Trigless locks just record parameters.
Thanks for the description PeterHanes. Have I got this right?
[/quote]
:+1:

Thanks Guys!

1 Like

What the manual should say :+1:

2 Likes

3 posts were split to a new topic: Trigless p-locks muting previous trigs