Noob: Portamento and legato

Hi,

I have a new Analog Keys and am loving it so far. However, I am having trouble getting portamento and legato to work.

When I set portamento to on, I get no portamento, even if I set slide time to 127. This is whether I play detached or legato.

When I set legato mode on, the envelopes retrigger anyway when I play legato. And still no portamento.

Any idea what I’m doing wrong?

Thanks,

Avi

1 Like

it’s only viable for live play, not sequenced fwiw - there’s a checkbox in the sound settings page in case you haven’t toggled that . iirc

same here. no legato or portamento with boxes ticked and on.

what are we doing wrong i wonder

that is with live keyboard.
but also no slides with note slide trigs in sequencer

you have to turn up the “SLIDE” parameter on page 2 of OSC2

1 Like

In sequences this will only work when trigs overlap in time ( length ) - so when you record in Live-play you’ll hear the effect but not when you listen to te sequence recorded.
The only thing you have to do is ( after recording ) change the lengths of the notes where you want the Portamento or Legato to work,until they overlap the next trig. ( by parameter - locking the AMP-release or the note-length in the note-page ( = gate ).
If you don’t want ENV’s to retrigger in Live-Play or in the sequence, you have to use UNDOTTED ENV’s.

1 Like

Exactly!

so, you’re teasing us that the legato we hear playing the mini-keys can be retrospectively tweaked by ‘overlapping’ to create the same effect sequenced … do tell, all my experimenting is not yielding this outcome - normally I just go for the note slide lock or parameter slides on osc pitch

1 Like

so, you’re teasing us that the legato we hear playing the mini-keys can be retrospectively tweaked by ‘overlapping’ to create the same effect sequenced … do tell, all my experimenting is not yielding this outcome - normally I just go for the note slide lock or parameter slides on osc pitch[/quote]
Hello,
Well, for the not-slide or parameter-slide to work ( sequenced ), notes have to overlap in time. To check - try this >> make a 8 step loop with trigs on step 1 and 4. > give eatch trig a different filter-setting. Make the trigs 1 step long and the amp-release 0. actvate the Program-slide on both trigs.You won’t hear any Filter-parameter-sliding. Now slowly change the note-length for both trigs ( by holding both trig-buttons and chaning the note-length ) , at the moment the note-length passes 4 steps the Program-slide becomes active… same go’s for Legato …( so non-dotted ENv’s ) and P-slides.( ofcoare the P-side works on 2 possebilities- if it’s a Pitch -slide on the Osc 2 only at sound-level > no overlap is needed > so without the Pitchslide actvated.It’s only needed for pich-slide from 1 trig to the next - so with a slide-Lock )
Sorry, my English is not so good, but I hope it’s clear :wink:

1 Like

so, you’re teasing us that the legato we hear playing the mini-keys can be retrospectively tweaked by ‘overlapping’ to create the same effect sequenced … do tell, all my experimenting is not yielding this outcome - normally I just go for the note slide lock or parameter slides on osc pitch[/quote]
Hello,
Well, for the not-slide or parameter-slide to work ( sequenced ), notes have to overlap in time. To check - try this >> make a 8 step loop with trigs on step 1 and 4. > give eatch trig a different filter-setting. Make the trigs 1 step long and the amp-release 0. actvate the Program-slide on both trigs.You won’t hear any Filter-parameter-sliding. Now slowly change the note-length for both trigs ( by holding both trig-buttons and chaning the note-length ) , at the moment the note-length passes 4 steps the Program-slide becomes active… same go’s for Legato …( so non-dotted ENv’s ) and P-slides.( ofcoare the P-side works on 2 possebilities- if it’s a Pitch -slide on the Osc 2 only at sound-level > no overlap is needed > so without the Pitchslide actvated.It’s only needed for pich-slide from 1 trig to the next - so with a slide-Lock )
Sorry, my English is not so good, but I hope it’s clear :wink:[/quote]
ah thanks, ok, that’s also how I have been using it, I thought you were suggesting another way to attain a legato effect without explicitly specifying the note slide (relating to sound setting) - the original comment I made at the top was about the Legato toggle setting on the sound page - that is only applicable for Live playing, you can dial in legato in the sequencer whether that is on/off afaicr
the art of note sliding does take a bit of setting up, I’m a bit guilty of liking what I hear rather than dialing in what I maybe had in mind … e.g. to slide a note up an octave from 1 to 5 (without locking the oscillator tuning and using linear param slides) you have to get the second note down before 5 and factor in the slide rise time to peak at 5 (i.e. no note on 5 which is what i’d intuitively lay down) :slight_smile:

the art of note sliding does take a bit of setting up, I’m a bit guilty of liking what I hear rather than dialing in what I maybe had in mind … e.g. to slide a note up an octave from 1 to 5 (without locking the oscillator tuning and using linear param slides) you have to get the second note down before 5 and factor in the slide rise time to peak at 5 (i.e. no note on 5 which is what i’d intuitively lay down) :slight_smile:

Yep ! I was very disappointed when I discoverd that … but isn’t there some logic in this ? How could a Mono - synth record overlapping notes in Live-mode ? And this gives the advantage that one can mix the 2 kind of pich-slides in 1 sequence = one can play intervals in Live-mode with sounds who parameter or/and Pitch-slide over a track-sequence that has no slides programmed.
I’m trying to understand you about the octave-slide, but I have to try this at home to really grasp it :slight_smile: … or do you want the pich to be stable at the 5 th step ? Couldn’t you slide it on the 4th to a trigless-trig and eventually nudge that trig to it’s end-limit,… but I’m not shure that’s what you’re looking for… :confused:
I wish I could explain myself as clear and short, but the point, the way you usually do in your reply’s :slight_smile:

Hello,
Sorry, my English is not so good, but I hope it’s clear :wink:[/quote]
MAN MAN MAN … am I totally wrong here !!! checked it … no no no …
Parameter and Pitch slides allways work !!! You are right :slight_smile:
Sorry , :rage: :disappointed: :dizzy_face: :neutral_face: :slight_smile::joy::imp:

1 Like

In the name of God…how i can get Portamento or Legato while playing the Keyboard,
i do not need it in sequences. Legato checked, Portamento ON, why is there Slide
only in OSC2? What about OSC1? Isn’t there a parameter somewhere for the Port.
as how much you want? I can not get it to work. I put Slide on the OSC 2 at 127
and still no effect with Port.On and Legato checked, First it did then i guess i touched
something and no more. Another thing, when it worked, only OSC2 had Portamento.

1 Like

The parameters on OSC2 Page 2 aren’t OSC2 exclusive, they are there for convinience only and they should affect both oscillators if applicable.
BND, SLI, TRG, FAD, SPD and VIB should affect both oscillators.

2 Likes

Ok I just did this procedure and it works as expected. Please try it and if this doesn’t work you should contact support.

Steps guide:

n) POINT IDEA
-> action 1 to take
-> action 2 to take

GUIDE

1. Start with a fresh Kit:
    -> FUNCTION + KIT
    -> CLEAR KIT (DON’T perform KIT SAVE or you will loose your current KIT, you can revert this later by preforming a KIT reload)

2. Load "The Saw"on Trk1 (Bank A 001 factory Library)
    -> Double click on Trk1
    -> Select A001
    -> Press Yes.

3. Activate portamento:
    -> FUNCTION + Sound
    -> SETTINGS
    -> Turn On LEGATO MODE (tick mark)

4. Control slide time for both oscillators
    -> OSC 2 Page 2 (Actually if you check on the display this page is called just OSC because it belongs to both oscillators)
    -> Change SLI value.

Now if you turn down OSC2 LEV and play “legato” notes (just release previous note after a new note is already pressed) you should hear portamento on OSC1 as well.

If you want full time portamento instead of sliding only when playing legato notes:

-> FUNCTION + Sound.
-> Change PORTAMENTO to ON (currently it is on LEGATO).

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

5 Likes

On a side note, one obvious mistake I made is I left the polyphony on, with muddy heavy bass sound I tried to make, it took me awhile to figure out the portamento. So be sure to make the track’s polyphony mono :smiley:

1 Like

is there no way to do this in poly? really need those bendy chords for a gig ive got…

1 Like

I could use it with Unison, but not with the other poly settings, even with “use tracks sounds”.

So you cannot program the sequencer to act like your playing keys?
You cant program the sequencer to keep a note held, and comeback to it as other notes are played on top?

I got decent results by faking it using trigless trigs plus note length and p-locks.
Not nearly as punchy, but it’ll do for now.
It was making me crazy for a while, but at this point, the limitations woke creativity.
Sounds cool.