Noob Help! M:C into Midas DM12

Noob help!

Hey, so I’m a noob. Just got a model cycles and a midas dm 12 mixer.
I’m trying to connect the cycles to the mixer via the L R outputs, so I got a splitter cable, mono RL to TRS.
When I connect it this way to my mixer line in, the audio is completely off, levels are off. Weird thing is that if I connect it to the insert the sound is ok.
Also if I connect an unbalanced guitar cable to headphone jack and to line in, also sounds ok.
But I want the LR connection so I can play stereo and pan sounds.
What am I missing and screwing up here?
Can anybody help!?!?

Maybe phase cancelation? If I’m not mistaken, the first 8 channels are mono, so you have to use 9/10, or 11/12 for stereo, which have the green faders. Or you can use two of the 1-8 channels.
My hypothesis is that you using that Y cable is causing your left and right signals to cancel themselves out. The insert might accept trs which explains why it works.

Oh and welcome aboard the Elektronaut hype train first timer.

1 Like

Hi,

Are you certain your cable is the right one? You might inadvertently have bought an insert cable instead of a stereo TRS to double mono TS. The internal wiring is different on those.

Easiest way to avoid confusion is to use two separate balanced TRS to TRS cables, one for each channel of the L & R Main Out. Plug those into one of the stereo channels and you’re good.

You could use a stereo trs to dual mono cable using the headphone output, if you really needed to.

Why a splitter? You just need two regular mono jack TS cables. One for left and one for right. On the mixer make sure you re either going into one stereo channel with 2 jacks, or into 2 mono channels with each one jack. No splitters involved.

Hey thanx for your time and the welcoming!
So is there a way to do this with a Y cable?
The reason being that if I do separate LR cables for all my synths, that would be taking up more than half the inputs in my mixer.
What’s the solution to this?

Looks like you hit it on the money! I bought an insert cable :man_facepalming:t3:

Keep it! You have inserts on your mixer, the cable will come in handy in the future.

1 Like

Two mono trs to trs will do, you can plug them into channel 9/10 or 11/12 as stereo. That’s only 1 channel on the mixer.
There is no way you could use the Y-split insert cable for this I believe (please if somebody know for certain, chime in!).

You’ve got the two stereo channels, but unfortunately the other 8 are mono. Even if you use a y-cable it’ll still come out mono. This is why it’s good to have a patchbay. It doesn’t add any more channels, but it does make it easier to switch out devices. If you haven’t already, read the mixers manual. It should have further tips.

1 Like