None of my friends are supportive of my music

Life is short. Make yourself happy. My wife doesn’t understand how I can spend 6 hours straight in the studio listening to “the same beat” over and over (it’s not). And then go back and do it again the next day. Have you ever heard a bangin beat through a couple layers of drywall? Damn it sounds aweful! But my wife still loves me. She didn’t marry me for my musical ability😉. I used to play my guitar and sing solo at local clubs and bars. I made $200 a night and free beer. But I had to lug out all my gear, drive across town, and stay up until 2 in the morning. Now I make noise in my studio for myself and I don’t have to go anywhere. 99% of the population listens to other types of music. And that’s cool. Because music is something different to everyone. For some people it’s a passive interest. For others, they follow their favorite bands. If you enjoy making music, then do what you love. Your friends and family may not love your music but hopefully they love you for other reasons. That’s something to be grateful for.

3 Likes

just keep going forward

that really blows that they’d go out of their way to insult your stuff. but as long as you’re aware and don’t have expectations if the other parts of the relationships work, then it can be okay.

My Wife and Kid thinks I make funny Robot sounds and synthetic farts. That’s fine I play music for a escape, really don’t care if anyone is interested or entertained.

2 Likes

you need to find people that nourish you my dude

1 Like

I used by get the “it sounds like videogame music” a lot. Which in reality is a compliment because a great deal of videogame music is great at a compositional level. It never felt like a compliment though.

The best compliment I’ve received is from a co-worker that produces R&B. He said my music sounds very cinema-escque, like a movie score. That felt very much like a compliment, I loved the feedback.

At the end of the day, do it because it makes you happy. Somebody is bound to like it, if you do!

As far as my friends go, it’s just how we are. It’s all love, just a tougher, more “old school” kind of thing. Every single one of them has my back whenever I need them though.

1 Like

About ten years ago none of my friends at that time had any interest at all in my musical pursuits.
Since then I have emigrated, have made new friends, and several of them are supportive and even like my music.
I have a friend who paints, personally I dont like his paintings, I still support the dude though. I mean he is a mate, mates support each other. Doesnt matter what my tastes are. If you care about your friends then you naturally want them to enjoy what they do and do well in their chosen art.
Anyone that creates any kind of art gets my support. Creativity is good for us all.

Do what I do - have no friends.

I then make doubly sure by producing hardly any music.

Works well.

4 Likes

I’ve had various degrees of support but really electronic music is niche enough that it hard to expect any reasonable critique from people who aren’t really into it or studious in music theory. On the flip side I also make ceramics and I’m usually more annoyed than anything when I have a new line of work and friends and family buy it all up, as I basically just don’t get to try my product on an actual market until the next batch, so I can then actually see if I’m on to something worthwhile. Same can sort of be true with music, its nice when a friend is a fan but it is nicer when a stranger is as it shows a more promising market for your music. My thought though is to make music for you and hope you find a market.

it can be somewhat difficult to keep on making music if there’s no good feedback…especially if those who should give some are close to you (and that’s probably true for many other things too), nevertheless, those can be/are just people that listen to your own musical expressions and may/may not like what you do, which doesn’t mean what you produce isn’t good. there sure are other people that can and will appreciate your productions and give you positive feedback and push you to do more of what you like :smiley_cat:

It has been very helpful for me to operate from the mindset of: “No one owes you anything.” There have been stretches of my time as a musician where I’ve forgotten that, and it’s never been beneficial to my well-being. As long as I remember why I make art, I’m much more fulfilled. Everything else is a distraction.

8 Likes