Non-metal songs that are more metal than actual metal songs

1 Like

Back in the 90s I played in a lot of heavy noise bands. Loved the whole Skin Graft Records world. Although not on Skin Graft this was one of my favorites from that era.

1 Like

Instantly thought of near enough anything from Digital Hardcore Recordings (Atari Teenage Riot, EC8OR, and Bomb20, for example). The DJ Producer and Hellfish did some phenomenal gabba/old school hip hop tracks on their Deathchant label. And industrial hip hop artists like Techno Animal did some awesome stuff, especially Brotherhood of the Bomb. Hit me up if you want some links to some of the choicest choons :slight_smile:

5 Likes

My happy place is 6am at a rave, completely out of my fucking tree with Hellfish and/or DJ Producer ripping it up in front of me. Itā€™s as metal as all fuck.

1 Like

Fuck yes! I grew up on those guys. They really know how to work a filter! :yellow_heart:

1 Like

From the second I heard DJ Producer on my mateā€™s helter skelter tape at school I knew.
Over 20 years later he still owns things.

1 Like

Youā€™ve started me off againā€¦

4 Likes

the whole of this album is amazingā€¦ battering waves of black metal-ish synthetic intensity

2 Likes

A lot of the nyc speedcore stuff would fit the bill. Iā€™d especially recommend the tyrant or hellz army.

2 Likes

Good shout! I need to dig that one of the archivesā€¦ not listened in years but itā€™s fantastic. Also makes me want to recommend some Godflesh for this thread but in spite of the Alesis HR16 they really are metalā€¦

Ohhā€¦ that reminds me of another classic Iā€™ve no listened to in yearsā€¦ Bastard Sons Of Rave. Remember kicking the arse out of that along with Making Orange Things by Venetian Snares/Speedranch back in the day. The rest of VSnares catalogue always felt underwhelming after thatā€¦

I have to agree that Rakka is absolutely fantastic. Itā€™s been a bit of slow burn but I seem to listen to it at least twice a week and every time I enjoy it even moreā€¦ weirdly, I donā€™t get as much of a black metal vibe - itā€™s certainly not Ravishing Grimness - but I donā€™t think the commenter on the bandcamp page is spot on with the comparison to Too Dark Park era Skinny Puppy.

4 Likes

yeah true, for me itā€™s more evocative of the blast beat stuff from Mayhem, Emperor etc (and Liturgy, who are my personal favourites even if theyā€™re not trve cvlt :slight_smile: )

1 Like

Canā€™t believe I forgot about prurient.

2 Likes

A Flock of Seagulls, Spaceage Lovesong :thinking:

Yello

2 Likes

Iā€™d be tempted to add some of @Essā€™s tracks to this list. His shit kicks the hell out of speakers :slightly_smiling_face:

Tool

not sure I have a lot to really contribute to this thread

But this track comes to mind

i donā€™t know how you get a kick so violent

2 Likes

All prurient is great but this is a favourite (along with the one of him just overdriving a mixer and scraping a mike on a speaker!)

2 Likes

Like!

The first metal song ever??? (Not looking for a debate here!) But that outro riff is well stoner metal

2 Likes