Non-digitally produced vinyls?

I have a feeling that you are not listening to me :frowning: “not a single digital module” is not part of my criterion, as I’ve explicitly and repeatedly stated.

Why? In what way does this not break the transcendental relevance of analog sound? Doesn’t this introduce perceived “evilness”? How does this not violate the essence of sound?

1 Like

Please watch this video.

2 Likes

I did not expect trolling on this forum which I’ve associated so far with openness and kindness, kinda makes me sad. I am not a “boomer” by any definition btw, but I am sure that you are aware that the very phrase “OK boomer” is offending people.

1 Like

IMHO! The issue is not the Digital Mastering, since like many have said, has been happing since the 80´s!

The “real” issue why today’s vinyl records sound terrible, is how tracks are mastered these days. Has nothing to do with Analog vs Digital at all!

The issue is that all mastering these days is focused for release on Streaming media. So everything is mastered with “LOUDNESS” as main goal! It has to be as loud as possible!
The result is, that a lot of dynamic range and thus detail, is lost this way and these same masters are used by the “Lazy” record labels to press on vinyl to cater to the current Vinyl hype!

In reality they should do two masters. One for Streaming and one for Vinyl. But that cost twice the money, since they have to pay for two masters and record labels only care for the bottomline!

6 Likes

At least crypticresonance is openly claiming their interest is conceptual or “magical”. They aren’t making any false claims about analog or digital audio. No need to be rude.

2 Likes

With all respect due, I think you’re wrong when you say that “analog qualities” (whatever you think they are) are lost. They are not, really. We’re not in the early 80s anymore, D/A A/D converters are much much better and numeric formats go way beyond the capabilities of vinyls. This path will soon lead you to audiophile nonsense.

I think he does, see above.

3 Likes

Agree that it has some psytrance vibes, but hey is that a modded poly 800 which has digitally controlled oscillators and digitally generated envelopes?

And that’s a WASP, right? That one has fully digitally generated oscillators, making it one of the earliest hybrid digital/analogue synths.

That’s not what trolling is, but I apologise. You’re entitled to your opinion, I was just poking fun at it because my opinion is that all the audiophile / analogue-obsessive stuff sucks the fun out of music and misses the point.

5 Likes

Hey, I’m not the one looking for analog purity :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Personally I hate chasing unicorns.

2 Likes

I think his interest wasn’t about audio quality, but about some sort of metaphysical uninterrupted analog chain. I don’t personally care about that but can see how it could be seen as an interesting concept.

1 Like

ok, unicorns then.

1 Like

I think art is one area where magical thinking should be explored :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I could be wrong, but the problem might be not so much that the loudness maximisation, but that vinyl requires special consideration because it offers less dynamic range, has increased distortion of the high-end part when you get closed to the center of the record, and can’t reproduce a stereo image as well, especially in the low-end.

I know, I know. Just pointing out that there’s often at least some a “digital” in there. :wink:

1 Like

The funny thing is that the SPARS code scheme was originally introduced to try to get studios, producers, and artists to adopt digital technology for recording and production as well, and not continue to use analogue techniques with only the delivery medium (the CD) being digital.

So, DDD was considered superior. Especially for classical music you often paid more for DDD than for an ADD recording of the same work.

3 Likes

What sounds more “analog”? Digitally recorded track pressed on vinyl, or an old vinyl sampled at high resolution on high end AD converters?

That’s the irony… The digital era gave us much more dynamic range and better stereo separation… and yet we used it to produce music with much less dynamic range and we don’t use stereo that much. Hard right/left instruments panning used to be a thing, now you don’t hear this as much. Also see recordings “remastered for” whatever digital format, which are often agressive compared to the old vinyl master. And it’s not just dance music unfortunately.

One of the reasons vinyl can sound so good is cause they eq out the low end which gets added back by the phono pre-amp https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RIAA_equalization

2 Likes

IMHO 1/4" analog tape sounds much better than typical vinyl

Vinyl snobbery is a bit funny to me tbh, its such an ephemeral format that loses its quality very quickly

2 Likes