Noisy inputs

Hey everyone,

I recently noticed during a rehearsal that the external inputs of the AK brought a substantial amount of noise to the overall volume when pushed to the max (127) when I use my JP-8000 plugged into the AK inputs. I first thought it was due to our shitty mixer, but when I turned the inputs off in the FX track settings, it completely disappeared. And the inputs volume being quite low, I can’t afford to use them with a lesser gain setting…

Has anyone else experienced this issue ?

Hi,

check the ground of the JP8000.

Greetings

Nightgrap

Hey Nightgrap,

I forgot to mention that I tested the inputs with both cables disconnected from the AK, which did not solve the problem.

Can anyone confirm that the inputs of the A4 are pretty noisy? Huge difference when I record through them or directly with my sound card…

is this a contact ‘hiss’ or a usb type groundloop digital scream sound? if you are using a usb for midi perhaps try going with midi leads instead… let me know mate if possible:)

Depends on how you define “pretty” noisy … it also depends, what you are recording and what’s your “sound-card” in comparison :wink:

IMHO the audio-input of the A4/AK is not supposed to replace a high quality sound-card or external interface coming with first-class pre-amps. For me it’s more of a signal source, which accepts external sound, delivers it to the synth engine or the FX.

If the line-in level is good enough, the signal to noise ratio shoud be acceptable.

But as @vaaiber says, there are noise sources around, which can cause problems. The manual says … “unbalanced audio-inputs”. So we have no high quality noise prevention there. Mixing computer technology like USB and audio may always create problems. Sometimes a better USB cable can be the solution, or adequately shielded/grounded audio/digital cables, at all.

2 Likes

I am also having this issue when monitoring through Overbridge. Even when nothing is plugged into the external inputs there is substantial noise. If i’m not using overbridge and just monitoring from the headphone outs there is very little noise. It is making it useless for recording an external synth in Logic. I have tried various things but nothing seems to help. Anyone else experiencing this on the Analog four/keys?