when taken out of the context of the page it is quite confusing. but that particluar section of the manual goes on to explain what a sample is. additionally it is explained further in section 9. part of the section is as follows:
A Pattern contains:
• A kit.
• All parameter settings for the eight MIDI tracks.
• Sequencer data like trigs and parameter locks.
• The settings on the TRIG PARAMETERS page, BPM, length, swing and time signature settings.
A Kit contains:
• Eight audio track sounds.
• LEVEL settings for the audio tracks.
A Sound contains:
• A sample (linked from the +Drive), plus the SRC, FLTR, AMP, and LFO PARAMETER pages settings for
the audio track.
A Sample contains:
• A 16 bit, 48 kHz, mono audio file.
there is also a quite a good explanation of sounds and how they function in section 9.