No sound from Model Samples when I try to load samples on a track

I’ve been trying to load samples on tracks on my M:S, but I’m not hearing any sound when I hit the pad. Things were working previously. Factory patterns play fine. I did a couple of factory resets, but no change. Any ideas anyone?

This is one of the first things that happened to me after unboxing the MS. It hasn’t happened since, so I’m still not sure if it was user error or a bug.

The first thing I’d try is copying a pattern that does work (e.g. a stock pattern) and pasting in onto the pattern that doesn’t work.

You can then hold [PTN] + [TRIG key ] + [PLAY] to clear all of the sound data. This will also recall the factory default samples (the Model drums) to each track.

2 Likes

Is it on STOCK project? If yes there is a bug ( already reported and confirmed).
It’s not possible to assign sample in STOCK project on T2-T6 banks.
If you perform factory reset it will be possible to assign until you load stock project from disk. After loading it’s not working any more.
If it’s your case then create your own project, and everything should work fine. Any way stock project is write protected and you can’t save your work there.

2 Likes

Thanks for the responses. I will investigate more today.

Could you elaborate a bit more. There is only a brief section in the manual (11.2) on projects. I’m imagining one bank of stock as the factory samples and then two additional layers of open projects.

Q: Each project can contain T1-T6 save sounds as well as saving 1-16 patterns on project 2 and project 3? That’s a lot of space! Is that accurate?

Each project can contain 96 patterns ( 6 banks of 16 patterns each).
And project can contain up to 576 samples loaded. Not sure 576 with sample locks or not. Didn’t try that big. But you limited for 64 mb of RAM in total.
And if I’m not wrong, you limited to 26 samples per pattern ( 6 on tracks + 20 sample locks).
And you can save up to 96(95 actually) projects, 'cause stock one is write protected.

4 Likes

Okay, so, I can copy a pattern from a stock project and copy to a pattern in a new project and things work fine. I can hear samples, change them out, and things are fine. When I clear the sounds off that pattern, or switch to a new pattern slot, then I get nothing (I’m right back to where I started). Any other ideas or suggestions?

Check everything in audio settings… specifically the ‘int out’ settings.

1 Like

This could be tricky to troubleshoot, as there are quite a few steps involved in this procedure, and there are multiple ways to perform actions such as clearing samples.

Could you give a precise rundown of the procedure you’re following so that I can try to reproduce it?

Well, I think I have things worked. I checked the Audi settings as @TheGhostCat recommended. I turned the max audio up to 100, even though the settings seemed fine. Things still did not work. On a whim, I unplugged my headphones from the headphone jack and plugged them into the main out jacks Voila, sound! I figured it’s something wrong the the jack. I was able to create some patterns and hear the samples. I went back to the headphone jack issue. I discovered that if I only plugged my headphones in halfway, I can hear sound. So, there’s where I’m at with this whole thing. I’ll see if things are working right tomorrow (Saturday). Thanks to everyone who responded with their helpful suggestions. :v:

1 Like