No songmode, what's a nice solution? (digitakt + digitone)

It’s called “price tiering”.

It’s the kind of stuff that gets marketing boys all excited and gigly - It’s not a pretty sight.

And yes, you are exactly right, it is annoying that you need to buy more boxes to do stuff that would be easier done with only one or two boxes.

1 Like

That’s a silly argument, Digitakt with a song mode would still be very different from an Octatrack, lacking most of it’s more in depth features. It would just make it a lot more usable in a live set for example.

Cheapest reliable solution is an A4mk1. Song mode and performance macros, plus as a bonus, a 4-voice polysynth that does great synthesized percussion.

4 Likes

Pattern chain

Better FX than the OT, too. Would be a good synergy with a DT since you maybe don’t need a second sampler and midi sequencer.

1 Like

And you can trigger program changes on the dt from the A4? That makes it a whole heap more interesting

Doesn’t answer the question. Pattern chain without save does not equal song mode, and while the debate about whether your hands are song mode etc, tha does make answering the actual question less valid

2 Likes

I did this. Worked great, as expected.
But you have to place the program change command not on the last step.
So let’s say your pattern is 32steps, don’t place it on step 32 rather take step 20 or even 2 and you are good to go

1 Like

got it, because it’s queueing it as if you’d triggered it on the device itself. Makes sense.

Yes, with no additional programming effort. Also play, pause, stop. These can be toggled on and off separately. And the integration is good because they’re both Elektron boxes. Very sweet.

3 Likes

i’m gonna see if i can modify this to run on some portable rpi box like norns

looks like a great tool!

2 Likes

I use the song mode on my A4 all the time. The song mode on A4 sending program changes to my DT is a way I’ve gotten around the lack of songmode on the Digitakt. I do this because I’m playing guitar while tracks play. I also use each ‘song’ to arrange a set in it’s totality so I can toggle the ‘songmode’ button off and loop a pattern in between ‘songs’ or for extended jams. It all depends on what you need and how you want to structure your sets.
With this in mind, @Digichamp, why do you want the DT & DN? is it a certain sound or are you more flexible about which gear you want to use?

definitely second this set up. It’s a lot of fun to sequence things out using an A4 & DT. Have you used the external inputs to process your A4 on the DT yet? I’m excited to try out the compressor this weekend.

1 Like

I haven’t yet. First up I want to connect Micromonsta 2, that’s overdue. Then DB-01, and then A4…

2 Likes

I would purchase a DN and DT today if song mode was added.

Due to my experiences with the Roland TR-8S and Pioneer DJ Toraiz SQUID, if a groove box, drum machine, or dedicated primary sequencer does not possess a song mode, or at least saved pattern chaining, I will avoid the product as it will not meet the needs of my workflow. My hands need to be free for other tasks when recording songs to a stereo mix down.

1 Like

But, but, Switching patterns takes half a second. I get it when you play guitar and want to use a sampler as backing track or something similar. But then, there are better options for that like octatrack imho.

1 Like

For you, switching patterns might be a value-added activity. As stated, for me and my workflow, it is not. I want my arrangement mapped out to focus on other tasks.

Also, FWIW, I do play guitar and bass.

Are there any iOS/Android apps that are cheap that can send pattern changes and have a song mode of some kind? Could very well be worth the small investment.

Use an older device that you haven’t thrown away if you are worried about interruptions with your current device.

USB MIDI/Audio is class compliant for both DT/DN.

1 Like

It’s not of any added value but in the scheme of things it’s a blip on my radar really. It doesn’t distract, it doesn’t take time. But indeed when play guitar you need both hands and it becomes impossible to switch patterns. That is a different story. But then, there are many options with song mode, like octatrack :slight_smile: . Or use midi loopback on DT.

I already own an OT MKII , and it is irrelevant to the discussion. Owning an OT would not prevent me from purchasing a DT and DN. My initial post was simply to express why I will not purchase a DT and DN.