No Serial Number

Hi guys, I just received a brand new Heat and when switched on I get a message “No Serial Number”. It works otherwise.

Anyone know what’s up?

1 Like

That’s a new one for me. I did a search to see if it had come up before - nada. My guess would be that that unit somehow missed being registered internally by Elektron. In any case, raise a support ticket on Elektron.se. And please report back in case anyone else has the same thing in the future.

2 Likes

Thanks… I really hope I don’t have to send it back. Been waiting three weeks to get it because of Malta Post…

Ha, I used to live there for 4-5 years. I do not miss Malta Post at all! I figure you won’t have to send it back if it’s a firmware/software thing (although I’m just guessing), but if you do, go for UPS or FedEx instead to speed things up.

3 Likes

Limited edition? If it does work, does the box and the bottom have a serial number?

I’ve opened the ticket. Yeah, I have the SN on the box and the sticker on the device itself.

Ah, then you know the struggle… I will be without the device another 2 months if I need to send it back. Now I’ve tried it and know I can’t finish my tracks without it any more!

3 Likes

Same! I hope you can get it sorted remotely.

1 Like

And let us know!
This is a very special one you have here ^^

3 Likes

Lol yes, Maybe it will be worth a lot in a while haha

1 Like

So an update… Elektron told me my unit somehow ended up without a serial. They offered to send it directly to them to avoid sending it to Thomann, as that would mean I might be without it for months… This feels the opposite to winning a lottery. Legit investing into something and then getting a piece with a one in a million weird bug, which would render my warranty useless :cry: Makes sense I never win anything…

3 Likes

Man… at least they should give you some free preset packs or something…

1 Like

Dont be ridiculous. Return it to thoman for a full refund. Order a replacement.

2 Likes

It’s unfortunate but as you say it’s one in a million. At least they’re trying to get it back in your hands by the fastest route possible. Good luck!

1 Like

1st, last shippment I returned to tomann took 23 days to arrive there and another 2 days to be processed.

2nd, I know it might sound silly, but I like the sound of this unit very much + it now has a story, and have now grown an attachment to it. (I do realize, they might just replace the unit itself, but still)

Ugh. sorry man. I would stop shopping from a place like that personally, but I have a lot of great choices here in the states, including an incredible locally owned shop 30 minutes away.

Your unit still has a serial number on the back, i assume you can register it with, so you’d have the warranty. As long as it works otherwise what difference does the software serial number make ?

Did they say that this lack, will cause a problem with firmware updates or something ?

The odd thing to me, why does Elektron need a software version of the serial number ?
That was extra work to implement if it has no purpose. A lot of firmware doesn’t have built in serial numbers.
A real use for that sort of thing might be if a company decided to sell special software features that get tied into your specific hardware via the internal serial number, or some sort of usage fee system. I’m not starting a rumor that Elektron is doing this, i’m only scratching my head at them having implemented an internal sw serial number.

1 Like

It’s not Thomann (they actually have very good customer service), it’s the postal service here in Malta. They receive a package and keep it for 14 days no matter in/out. I understand there is a pandemic, but I know these guys, this was the case before it as well, maybe with some days shaven off. It’s a combination of overpopulation and f*** all mentality of some workers here. Many services have gotten better in recent years, but Maltapost is not one of them.

1 Like

While what you say is possible, I think baking the serial number unto hardware serves the purpose of tracking batches and also, units having them means one could be identified when stolen and found. Probably some other less “sinister” uses to it.

In any case, very commendable service from Elektron till now. First of all fast response, they have agreed to pay for UPS shipping and I will get some sounds for my inconvenience. Kudos!

5 Likes

An update. Really satisfied with Elektron support on this one. I already have it, as they basically sent it back within the same day.

7 Likes