No midi notes out of sequencer. (Semi-Solved)

Hi,

I can play my external synth with the trigs in chromatic mode but when i enter trigs in the step sequencer they arent playing.

Ive changed the Len to longer but still not hearing anythig.
Ive also changed the audio tracks midi channel assignments off and the auto channel off.

The issue is that my synth is getting the midi notes when played in chromatic mode…
but isnt getting any midi notes / trigs coming from the sequencer.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

I started a new project and the midi triggers worked.

When I load the old project the midi triggers dont work.

I hope its not a corrupted project… which would make the OT unreliable.

1 Like

Did you assign correct midi channel to midi track (double press on “Playback / Note” button while in midi mode for settings menu) ?

1 Like

Cheers mate and thanks for checking Uturunku.

I selected the correct midi channels and remembered to press the knob to save the changes.

Its just a matter of that particular project not sending midi trigs… chromatic mode works on each track with different midi channels.

Ill be hoping that Rusty’s Octatrack editor can allow me to save bits from the faulty project over to the new one as needed.

This way I can also check if any specific patterns or settings are causing the issue and avoid this happening again.

I have the exact same issue here. But I am not satisfied with the faulty project theory. must be something about the settings. any ideas?

What MIDI settings do you have?

ot out , minitaur in
channel: 1 (correctly set - chromatic playing works)

sequencer and arp don’t work

edit: indeed, when I change the project, both the arp and sequencer work

help anyone?

We can’t help you if you won’t tell us your MIDI settings!

Look in the PROJECT > MIDI > menus and write down what values you have for the settings, especially AUDIO NOTE OUT.

Audio Note out is int+ext.
my midi track sends on 1 while the audio tracks send on other channels.

OK, then I don’t know what the problem is. Maybe this has to be filed with Elektron support as a potential bug. If they receive the two project files they may be able to diagnose the problem.

Just in case, have you tried:

Open the main (Project) menu,
on the left select “MIDI”,
on the right select CHANNELS
and press Enter/Yes.
-> Select 1 as Auto Channel

1 Like

Can you detail why you believe this would fix it? (maybe some bugmagic…) but I don’t see the logic (even if it works, I want to know why ;))

“The issue is that my synth is getting the midi notes when played in chromatic mode…
but isnt getting any midi notes / trigs coming from the sequencer.”

I also had this confusing situation…my solution was to unmute the midi ch on the MIXER page…(sorry when its too simple, I´m OT owner since 3 weeks…;-)…)

3 Likes

Yes! Whenever you have a midi device hooked up to the OT, you risk sending a midi note that MUTES or SOLOS or CUES a track. It’s not really obvious unless you look on the mixer screen (specifically solo). When in the Mixer screen, pressing the CUE button will SOLO and UN-SOLO a track. Check out the manual for which notes are doing what.

I have also noticed that incoming notes force a mute status on the audio track triggers… this is not visible on any screens on the OT as it is the result of a stuck note (maybe?).

Example: I have a drumpad setup to send different drum pads to different tracks on the OT so I can play oneshot drum samples on all the tracks of the OT. If the OT is in play mode and you hit a pad and hold it, all the susequent triggers are silenced.

This leads me to believe that if you get a stuck note on any of the midi channels controlling the audio tracks you will get the dreaded ‘mysterious silent triggers’ syndrome. It would also explain why turning the OT off and on fixes the problem.
Just my thoughts, curious to know what others experience/thoughts are.

[EDIT] maybe this also can affect the midi tracks?

4 Likes

“Example: I have a drumpad setup to send different drum pads to different tracks on the OT so I can play oneshot drum samples on all the tracks of the OT. If the OT is in play mode and you hit a pad and hold it, all the susequent triggers are silenced.”

ah thanks, good to know !!

Oh well, guess I’ll bring this thread back from the dead.

I have a similar problem.

So according to the manual:
AUDIO NOTE OUT sets what MIDI information the [TRIG] keys transmit. This set- ting contains three options. Select between the options by pressing the [LEFT] or [RIGHT] arrow keys or by pressing [ENTER/YES].
• INT will make [TRIG] key presses affect only internal machines or tracks. [TRIG] keys will not send out any MIDI notes, unless pressed when being on a MIDI track.
• EXT will make [TRIG] key presses send out MIDI notes. No internal machines or tracks will be trigged. This option essentially makes the [TRIG] keys function in a local off mode fashion.
• INT+EXT makes [TRIG] key presses trig internal machines and tracks. MIDI notes will at the same time be sent out.

If I set it to INT the octa only triggers the AUDIO track, if I’m in midi mode, nothing is trigger, whether I assigned midi channels to tracks or not.

If I set it to EXT, then the [trig] will only play the midi channels that I set up in MIDI/CHANNELS, but once I assign a midi channel to a track the trig won’t trigger anything anymore.

If I set it to EXT/INT, then TRIG 1 to 8 trigger midi channels 1 to 8 (as set up in MIDI/CHANNELS) but TRIGS 9 to 16 will trigger both audio and midi.

So it looks like INT is buggy, is that possible?
According to the manual, INT should only trigger audio track in normal mode and midi in MIDI mode, but these are not triggered instead…

Ok sooo this is wierd. I really wanted to send midi to an Yamaha Reface DX, get some awesome arp in there. Same problem - chromatic worked, trigs didn’t.

I’ve read and tried about everything i could understand and nothing worked.
What i did try, blindly, is every track on the midi page. And guess what - track 8 works. I’ve tried looking for stuff that maybe was different from 7 to 8 but the setting are exactly the same.

I am running with 8 as a master on the OT. Maybe it has something to do with that?! I have no ideea how it worked but maybe someone with more brains than me can figure something coherent out of this.

Have u tried it?

Just came across this MIDI problem while experimenting with the Octatrack, and I noticed that resetting the Part fixed the MIDI problem. Of course this will have implication if you are not in the position to delete the part.

This worked like a charm for me! Thanks!