No LFO Sin Wav?

I use values of 0, 64,96,122 and 127. In both directions. I did it by eye then noted the numbers. Interestingly to get a proper sine wave, you draw it asymmetrically with the trigs. Here is my home made sine wave…

6 Likes

None of myw synths or other machine have sine wave LFOs. So not having a sine shape doesnt seem that unusual to me. Pretty cool you can draw your own though!

1 Like

Pretty much the same as what I used first (0,64,96,118,127). :wink:
But a regular sine doesn’t seem the same.

2 Likes

If the OT interpolates from the 16. value back to the first one, the 16 values should be (ignoring 128):

sin[0]=0      sin[1]=49     sin[2]=90    sin[3]=117
sin[4]=127    sin[5]=117    sin[6]=90    sin[7]=49
sin[8]=0      sin[9]=-49    sin[10]=-90  sin[11]=-117
sin[12]=-127  sin[13]=-117  sin[14]=-90  sin[15]=-49

Source: javascript console of my browser … :wink:

var i,s=(2*Math.PI)/16.0; for (let i=0;i<16;i++) console.log(Math.round(Math.sin(i*s)*127))
7 Likes

I made a mistake with sin(77.5)x127=124, it should be sin(67.5)x127=117.33 so it corresponds to your results! :slight_smile:
I edited my results.
Edited : and the difference didn’t change the curve…obviously not precise. (117=123)

I find sine waves very important on synths. Not only for modulation, for instance, sine wave sub oscs can really make massive bass sounds.

Gotta try the sine wave from the lfo designer laters! :slight_smile:

I was genuinely curious if a LFO designer ‘square’ was different from a device square wrt this uneven 8bit range thing (oh I do like the iirc Roland way of working with +/- 63 only, (foregoing one possible value) somehow that feels better to me)

But there was nothing to say that Elektron weren’t possibly scaling the whole range differently either side, unlikely - but curiosity got me

so comparing the two there was a slight difference as follows

I ran a single cycle and targeted pitch/rate whatever with two track LFOs on a scene, so default was one modulating LFO on and the scene would turn that off and the other one on

there’s a tiny but perceptible difference on one side of the modulation (high side) whereby the LFO designer is a tiny percentage lower in pitch - so the actual LFO is effectively +/- 128(or whatever internally) whereas the designer only hits 127 so it’s less than 1% short FTR

1 Like

I know what you did here ! :wink:

1 Like

@LyingDalai’s provocation ! I should have wrote byte instead of bit.
Please don’t bite!

1 Like

Be assured I never bite the bite ! :smiley:

I should probably flag my own post here…

1 Like

How did everyone draw the wav so precisely?

Probably only needs to be flagged for Francophones…

1 Like

Practice. Drawing everyday. :content:
Did you interpolate steps ?
You can activate interpolation holding several trigs and press TEMPO.
You can also set several values at the same time.

4 Likes

When I find my OT in need of custom modulation, LFO Designer comes to me
Speaking words of wisdom, “let it bit”…

4 Likes

There will be an answer, let it beat.

3 Likes

@tnussb I’d like to use this with my android in order to make other curves. Eventually on my pc. Pasted on Firefox, error :

expected expression, got ‘}’

Could you please make a kind of tutorial or add comments to a script ?
Maybe in another topic…

The ‘}’ on the end was wrong (fixed it in the post above). Just remove it and it will work in Firefox (F12->console).

1 Like

Took me a minute and then interpolating to get my sine, now the question is can I copy that and use it in another project or do I just have to manually draw it in each project? Not terrible if I do but nice if I don’t.

oh man that is beautiful @sezare56

1 Like

This one below is closer to a real sin in fact. :wink:
No LFO Sin Wav?

Probably. Just copy/paste as usual.
You can also make a template project with some settings like that.

2 Likes